Deandre Smelter (Not Injury Related)

Milwaukee

Banned
I was talking football with some coworkers here in Milwaukee, and Smelter came up. One of my coworkers asked "Who is that wide receiver you guys have?" (notice the 'you guys' instead of 'y'all'....#Midwest) So I start describing Smelter in detail: numbers, attributes, height, weight, hands, etc. Someone spoke up and said "It's so hard to see how all of these great receivers keep coming out of GaTech, you wouldn't think they would have WR's...." We've all heard this before, right? One of the guys was floored when I reminded him that Bebe also came from Tech - he was thinking mainly Calvin (pre PJ but we get credit for it constantly and we'll take it) and Stephen Hill (bust, but Kiper loved him and he was a high draft pick). So now with Bebe added to the list, they're SUPER confused/excited about the fact that the 2 best WR's in the league came from our program.

Here's where I'm going with this: if Smelter makes a splash in the league, and I think he will, it's going to make an enormous splash for GT. You hear it all the time now, analysts will throw in a comment about Calvin and Bebe coming from Tech. Not to put any pressure on Smelter or anything, but his splash could make a bigger impact than any of us can imagine. Our brand is REALLY getting back out there guys, and it feels damn good. Think about 3 top flight WR's from Tech in the league at the same damn time, all putting up big numbers (pro bowls, tds, yds). The exposure would be sick. It would go from comments from time to time to then...."If you want to be a bigtime playmaker at the WR spot you really need to consider playing at Tech. They put out monsters at the position. Hell, they've been doing it for a decade."

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I think if Smelter really blows up like I think he will then it's going to be a game changer for our program. I really believe that.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I still think Hill has an opportunity to be a quality receiver as well. Not on Calvin or BeBe level but a solid WR that can stretch the field. He’s only 23 and has some growing to do and I think he’ll benefit from having Ricky Proehl coach him.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The question is how the ACL tear will affect him long term. I also think he'll be a great player in the league. He might not quite be the Calvin/BayBay top 2 guys in the world at the position level, but I think he can be a top 10/15 WR in the league.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It sucks but it’s likely we don’t see him til ’16. Hopefully someone drafts him just to store him on their roster. I would think it would be easier to make a full recovery when you’ve got world class medical help and getting paid at least the league minimum.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Waller is playing in one of the Senior Bowls and also has a chance to play on Sundays. If he can ever learn how to really use his hands and body consistently, he, too, could be interesting just because of his size.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's going to all go back to something people tend to overlook: the situation he gets drafted into.

Calvin Johnson is so immensely talented that his talent kinda overcame the crap play of his first few QBs. Once he got a half decent QB, his production went to HOF levels. Everyone recognized the talent was there from Day 1 though.

Demaryius Thomas was drafted into a situation where Tebow was destined to see time at QB, which really wasn't the best situation for a new WR. After his early injury struggles, he produced in the limited amount he actually saw passes from a run heavy offense centered around the option game of Tebow (deja vu for DT). He flashed freak level talent from time to time (see his 80+ yard run against Pittsburgh in the playoffs). When the Broncos got Peyton Manning, DT's game skyrocketed into the elite level. He's arguably a top 3 WR now.

Stephen Hill was drafted into a nightmare scenario. Going to a team where the front office doesn't know their head from their ***, a coach who's defensive minded and didn't want Hill in the first place, a QB situation that's still one of the worst in the NFL, and an offense that's terrible on a good day. Everything that was a negative box was checked for Hill. He's flashed his potential every now and then, but that environment is just toxic. Look at their WR production...no on that roster is anything to write about. Their big free agent signing, WR Eric Decker, has pretty much admitted it was a mistake to sign with the Jets.

Hopefully Smelter will find himself on a team that's good for his development and career. That's far more important than where he's drafted.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Smelter reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin. Neither is blazing fast but both are so good after the catch. Both have really strong hands and frequently break the initial tackle or drag a DB for several yards after the catch.

Let's hope he has Boldin-type success in the NFL.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I think with the ACL Smelter would be lucky to get into the 5th round. Will be interesting to see if he works out on strength drills such as the bench press to get NFL interest. He'll certainly be walking and off crutches by the time Pro days come around, and if teams prize blocking like I think they do then strength exercises could really help his draft stock

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I really see Smelter as a good #2 possession receiver who makes a career on 15 yard routes in the NFL. As much as it pains me to compare him to a ugag player, he kinda reminds me of / think he has a career similar to Hines Ward when he played for the Steelers.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
It's going to all go back to something people tend to overlook: the situation he gets drafted into.

Calvin Johnson is so immensely talented that his talent kinda overcame the crap play of his first few QBs. Once he got a half decent QB, his production went to HOF levels. Everyone recognized the talent was there from Day 1 though.

Demaryius Thomas was drafted into a situation where Tebow was destined to see time at QB, which really wasn't the best situation for a new WR. After his early injury struggles, he produced in the limited amount he actually saw passes from a run heavy offense centered around the option game of Tebow (deja vu for DT). He flashed freak level talent from time to time (see his 80+ yard run against Pittsburgh in the playoffs). When the Broncos got Peyton Manning, DT's game skyrocketed into the elite level. He's arguably a top 3 WR now.

Stephen Hill was drafted into a nightmare scenario. Going to a team where the front office doesn't know their head from their ***, a coach who's defensive minded and didn't want Hill in the first place, a QB situation that's still one of the worst in the NFL, and an offense that's terrible on a good day. Everything that was a negative box was checked for Hill. He's flashed his potential every now and then, but that environment is just toxic. Look at their WR production...no on that roster is anything to write about. Their big free agent signing, WR Eric Decker, has pretty much admitted it was a mistake to sign with the Jets.

Hopefully Smelter will find himself on a team that's good for his development and career. That's far more important than where he's drafted.
Eagles

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Wide Reciver U!!! Smelter will play on Sundays....ACL be damned. I think he plays next year in fact. Where he gets drafted?......no idea. But he will get a chance somewhere and that is all he needs. He is and will continue to be a baller.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Smelter will be a really good if not great NFL receiver. Size, good speed, great hands and extremely good work ethic. I like the comparison to Anquan Boldin, he will be someone's Mr. Reliable. At worst I would say he ends up as the #3 wr on the depth chart, but I doubt it.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
This kid is a stud. ACL injury or not... If you watched any of his games the past 2 years, you can see it clear as day. The ACL may effect where he gets drafted, just like it would anybody else.. But it wont have any effect on how much success he has once in the door. Im expecting BIG things out of Smelter. If he had a higher top end speed... No question that he goes in the first round. Hope the surgery goes well and hes able to get back next season sometime.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think his 40 time would surprise folks. He looked plenty fast on that reverse that came so close to winning the UNC game. Man, if our D had made a stop there that play would be pretty legendary right now!