DeAndre Smelter finds success far from where he started

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Great story and it's one that's still a work in progress. All young players should read this, especially the one's going through some kind of adversity.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
PJ is so fortunate to have WALK-ON be MVP-Offense and a ex- baseball player be #2 Off mvp. very unusaual

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it's amazing what happens when guys want to go to college for an education.
I liked this and then thought about it . . . and still like the comment.

But, I do want to add to the sentiment since I actually have never heard Smelter explain why he chose Tech. I want to add that at Tech Smelter could "do it all" as long as he was ready to put in the effort and hard work. He could play baseball at a very high level for 3 years in a program from which very high round draft picks are generated and also get an unbelievable education.

The bonus was that even when his baseball dream was derailed he still had the exact same opportunity in another sport. No reason that the dream of being a professional athlete and earning a great degree have to be mutually exclusive and at the Institute they are definitely not.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I liked this and then thought about it . . . and still like the comment.

But, I do want to add to the sentiment since I actually have never heard Smelter explain why he chose Tech. I want to add that at Tech Smelter could "do it all" as long as he was ready to put in the effort and hard work. He could play baseball at a very high level for 3 years in a program from which very high round draft picks are generated and also get an unbelievable education.

The bonus was that even when his baseball dream was derailed he still had the exact same opportunity in another sport. No reason that the dream of being a professional athlete and earning a great degree have to be mutually exclusive and at the Institute they are definitely not.
Was coached and mentored by Kevin Brown at Tattnall Square.