David Hale's ACC Position Group Rankings

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
We play numbers 1,2,6,8,9,10,11, and 13 on that list. We are #12. Clemson will be tough no doubt. Let's hope Miami is overrated in this list. Other than those two, it would seem we are somewhat competitive with the rest of our games., ie 6,8,9,10,11,13. With three #14 ratings, being an optimist, there is nowhere but up for receivers, DL, and ST. In other words, the difference between winning 5-6 games and 8-9 games will be what it always is - timely turnovers or penalties, a 4th down conversion, injuries, catching a team on the down slope versus when they are hot. Winning 10 or more requires several breaks. Just like always.

If we take these rankings at face value, some good news is the Atlantic being tougher. VT will have a tough cross over game on their hands with BC. Same with Duke/Wake and UNC/NCSU. If we take care of business in the Coastal, the Clemson game will not be as important as in years past. Louisville hasn't seen the TO, and their defensive ratings suck. Not playing UVA on the road and playing uga on the road is almost a guarantee of one less loss.

Deleted member 2897

We won 5 games last year, it shouldn’t come as a surprise. Maybe we can, to quote Coach Klein, “use it on the field... TACKLIN’ FUEL!”

We tied for 5th in the ACC. In the last like 12 years we’ve only been below average in the ACC ONCE. We have finished 1st in the ACC twice as many times as we’ve finished below 8th. 11th? It has no justification.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
what a
upload_2018-7-24_21-43-17.jpeg
those rankings are

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-24_21-42-36.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-24_21-42-36.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 9

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If our talent is as weak as Hale suggests, yet, we still win, to what would we attribute that success? Scheme? Coaching? Luck?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Cor rectangular. Slow down our OL from releasing into the secondary and linebackers are free to attack the pitch. There is so much holding allowed now it favors the passing game. There is a lobby by several schools to outlaw blocking below the waist- e.g. cut blocks. If that happens the TO is no longer competitive at the college level.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Cor rectangular. Slow down our OL from releasing into the secondary and linebackers are free to attack the pitch. There is so much holding allowed now it favors the passing game. There is a lobby by several schools to outlaw blocking below the waist- e.g. cut blocks. If that happens the TO is no longer competitive at the college level.
Are they going to outlaw tackling below the waist too?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are they going to outlaw tackling below the waist too?
The confusion over the difference between "cut" blocking and "chop" blocking is part of the problem. I wonder if we get called for chop blocking any more than passing teams. Some of my UNC friends swear that we are chop blocking on every play.

slugboy

Staff member
I saw Dez White in another thread. Here's our 1998 roster (20 years back): https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/1998-roster.html.
Dez White and Kelly Campbell at WR.
Felipe Claybrooks was a BACKUP on DL. Tony Robinson, Nate Stimson, Jesse Tarplin, and Merrix Watson were ahead of him.
Our RBs were Phillip Rogers, Ed Wilder, Joe Burns, Charlie Rogers, and **more**
That roster was top 5 in everything (except it doesn't list a kicker).

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I saw Dez White in another thread. Here's our 1998 roster (20 years back): https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/1998-roster.html.
Dez White and Kelly Campbell at WR.
Felipe Claybrooks was a BACKUP on DL. Tony Robinson, Nate Stimson, Jesse Tarplin, and Merrix Watson were ahead of him.
Our RBs were Phillip Rogers, Ed Wilder, Joe Burns, Charlie Rogers, and **more**
That roster was top 5 in everything (except it doesn't list a kicker).

Didn't "Flunkgate" follow just a few years later, where 10 or more players had to be kicked off the team for failure to meet or maintain academic requirements?

slugboy

Staff member
In 2003, under Chan Gailey, 11 players lost their eligibility, mainly because he thought it was someone else's job to make sure they went to class and/or maintain academic progress. Also, between 1998 and 2005, APR wasn't monitored correctly and 11 ineligible players were not making progress towards graduation and were allowed to play. In some instances, it was because their advisor either recommended the wrong classes or otherwise didn't link the NCAA requirements with the course catalog correctly.
I can't think of any reason to lay that at the feet of the players we recruited or played in 1998. Twice between 2002 and 2005, under Dave Braine and Chan Gailey, the academic side of the program was mismanaged to the point we lost players. You would think after the first screw up that they would have handled the second screw up better. We're talking about scheduling the right classes and then showing up. Despite being pre-APR, the O'Leary did make sure that players did what they were supposed to in the classroom.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This was also the time with GT moved from the quarter system to the semester system. The academic advisers didn't pay enough attention to which classes needed to be taken and when, so we had APR and eligibility problems.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Didn't "Flunkgate" follow just a few years later, where 10 or more players had to be kicked off the team for failure to meet or maintain academic requirements?
Please don’t get me going on Flunkgate. The admin person responsible for that completely botched job was forever removed from any involvement with the AA, but was retained by the Hill in a somewhat high-level position, where said individual continued to demonstrate...hrmmm...rank incompetence? I had repeated dealings with this person in an academic context since Flunkgate, and I can only think of one positive think to say: thank goodness this person has finally retired.

If it sounds like I am grinding an axe, here, I can assure you I am not. I’m am, however, standing in a pile of metal shavings...

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
11th in DB is laughable imo, been our best recruiting area since 2016.
With the way his teammates are talking about him Tariq Carpenter already named starter, probably our best Safety.
At corner Jaytlin, Ajani, great field corners with speed.
Tre Swill, Lammont great boundary corners with Length.
Also Kaleb Oliver and Gentry Bonds are studs, and Don’t forget Juanyeh Thomas.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
11th in DB is laughable imo, been our best recruiting area since 2016.
With the way his teammates are talking about him Tariq Carpenter already named starter, probably our best Safety.
At corner Jaytlin, Ajani, great field corners with speed.
Tre Swill, Lammont great boundary corners with Length.
Also Kaleb Oliver and Gentry Bonds are studs, and Don’t forget Juanyeh Thomas.
I wonder what the collective snap count is for those 7 dudes?