Dave Patenaude's Offense

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I used to ask this when CPJ coaches. Apparently they’ve been banned from Grant Field
I don't know but if you want to see lots of quick slants, watch the game Saturday, NC State makes a living off throwing them. That said, there are two plays that Syracuse stuffed with regularity that they run all the time. The wide receiver bubble screen and that stretch play to the outside. Their backs are not fast enough to get to the corner with regularity and the blocking for the bubble screen looks to be suspect. They love to run those plays anyway for some reason.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Alas, it seldom works that way in college football. The schedule could be tougher, the quarterback could get into a spat with his girlfriend, injuries, turnovers, people leave, others come in, as Spurrier used to say at Florida when things would happen with players: "We were not ready to play because of this, that, and the other but it got straightened out." One thing is for sure, Geoff really needs to win more than three or four games next year.
As even the most successful ball coaches are quick to say, we're dealing with teenagers here and who knows what is on their mind on any given day.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
To do that you need two things: a slanter and a slantee. Regardless of how they may look, a slant is not the easiest throw in the playbook.
Maybe the opposing defenses are taking away the slant routes and hoping we don't hit the longer routes.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of teams are playing up on our wr to try taking away the short passing game. Our wr's need to be better off the line and the oline needs to block better. Sims needs to get better throwing the ball down the field to be more of a threat and open things up. CDP acknowledged this and said those are things they are working on. I am expecting a big jump in offensive production next year if we can have a normal spring and offseason. We had virtually no spring and summer to build chemistry between qb and wr's prior to the season.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
As even the most successful ball coaches are quick to say, we're dealing with teenagers here and who knows what is on their mind on any given day.
Except at BYU. They are thinking about their wife and kids. I guess that creates its own set of issues though.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A lot of teams are playing up on our wr to try taking away the short passing game. Our wr's need to be better off the line and the oline needs to block better. Sims needs to get better throwing the ball down the field to be more of a threat and open things up. CDP acknowledged this and said those are things they are working on. I am expecting a big jump in offensive production next year if we can have a normal spring and offseason. We had virtually no spring and summer to build chemistry between qb and wr's prior to the season.
The longer Johnson is gone the more his offense remains.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yes especially with our RPO stuff
I rewatched the first half last night. There was one play (non RPO) called where Sims backed off on the throw due to (I assume) tight coverage. The other was off the RPO and a quick throw to Sanders that went for about 12 yds.

Second half rewatch tonight.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a little misleading with regards to offense. We are better on offense, but played Clemson and ND in the first half. The offensive rank will improve by EOY. Defense has been pretty bad

Now what is good on offense? Eyeball test tells me we still can’t sustain drives, but have a much better ability to create explosive plays. Now we need to work on consistency and we will be on to something.
That's an excellent point. And even Boston college has been pretty decent this year. I think there's progress, but playing those two teams without getting to play some of the less harder games we typically do probably hurts FEI stats some. One thing to look out for though is that we aren't the only team who is missing easier games.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
That's an excellent point. And even Boston college has been pretty decent this year. I think there's progress, but playing those two teams without getting to play some of the less harder games we typically do probably hurts FEI stats some. One thing to look out for though is that we aren't the only team who is missing easier games.
Your point about playing less difficult games is interesting, but I think we actually got lucky with covid scheduling. Without COVID, we would have played uga, UNC, VT, and UVA instead of BC, NC State, Louisville, and FSU. We went 2-2 against the latter. Not sure we would have won any against the former this year. Of course, we would have gotten a W against Gardner Webb added in as the 12th game.