Danny Hall named ACC Coach of Year

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fire Danny Hall!!!

(Am I doing this right?)
Yep... if you review the threads this season, it could be summed up this way.

Tech players & Coach Ramsey were 38-0
Coach Hall & Howell were 0-16.

In all seriousness... congrats to Coach Hall. He led Ga Tech from unranked in preseason & picked 5th in Coastal division to Coastal champs & top 10 nationally. GREAT SEASON!!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Fire Danny Hall!!!

(Am I doing this right?)
In all seriousness, I don't follow beesball as closely as I do for basketball and football. I am curious to hear how some of our board who does feels about this announcement? Seems like the consensus has been that CDH wasn't doing the work to continue at the level we had been. Was that wrong, did I misunderstand or has he made strides in righting the ship?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
In all seriousness, I don't follow beesball as closely as I do for basketball and football. I am curious to hear how some of our board who does feels about this announcement? Seems like the consensus has been that CDH wasn't doing the work to continue at the level we had been. Was that wrong, did I misunderstand or has he made strides in righting the ship?
I haven't followed since my class/old teammates played for hall ten years ago, so I don't know what the problems with hall were before this year.

From following closely this year only, the belief going into the season was that Hall was a poor game manager whose recruits were underperforming. Also, he was criticized for lazily relying too heavily on East Cobb recruits, who some may believe are overrated. MAny now laud Ramsey for culture changes and detail oriented in-game adjustments, as well as a change in plate discipline.

Hall is a really kind guy who knows baseball and has earned his tenure. In-game management styles are hard to change, but give credit for handing over the reigns. CPJ could have done some great things with a little more delegation and trust in himself and his staff.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Gotta give credit where credit is due ..... and CDH is the guy, so he deserves a lot of the credit. Seems like the consensus going in was we had talent, but that has not always equated to results for us. This year it did. The team (lead by Hall) also overcame a significant amount of adversity with an all conference player that has been injured most of the year (Chase Murry), a two way start that was injured early (Tristan English), Loss of the overall #2 pick in the MLB draft (Joey Bart), Loss of what many thought would be one of our top bullpen arms (Archer), loss of 2 out of 3 starters down the last 1/3 of the season stretch run (Curry & Hurter), some heatbreaking losses that could have seriously shaken the teams confidence, the (at one time) starting 3rd basement being kicked off the team.

It seems like CDH was a lot more adaptable this year (IMHO). I don't know what to attribute that to, but you saw in in his willingness to switch SS & 2B mid stream, in the way he handled relievers, in changing up his conservative "bunt em over" strategy that he seemed to employ to no end over the last x years, and to some extent in his use of analytics (maybe he used them all along, but this year he actually acknowledged using them at some points). He still seems like he can be pretty "stubborn" at times, but you cannot questions his results this year.

Congrats CDH. Well done!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think much of the criticism of Hall was around two key areas:
  1. pitching at GT was terrible (especially in recent season) which resulted in us not sniffing the NCAA tournament, or getting in but having only a small chance to advancing because we did not have pitching. Howell as the pitching coach was the perceived bad guy in this scenario, but Hall was his accomplice because they are buddies and Hall has stuck with Howell in the face of poor pitching results and what seemed like an unusual number of arm injuries with pitchers. NB-it could be that we simply never recruited the best pitchers, or that we did not develop them/had more than our share of injuries....whichever it was, it was Hall & Howell's fault
  2. In game management was poor. Pitchers were often left in way too long (when it was clear they weren't effective) and sometimes he seemed to have favorites amongst position players
Bottom line was that after almost always making the tournament, we started to miss it with regularity (2 straight years and 3 of the last 4 after making it in 19 of Hall's first 21 seasons here), AND we had losing records in the ACC for 5 straight seasons (and 6 of the last 7). Wasn't good enough.

This year, we have more talent in the pitching corps, and for much of the season, we actually had an elite weekend starting rotation. Oh, some amongst us (me) still blamed Hall for blowing some early season games with 9th inning losses, but that elite starting rotation made up for a lot of other things and we went on a run mid-season which really solidified our season as a whole. Ramsey has helped a great deal (imho) especially with team chemistry and batting approach....our offense is MUCH better at getting past the other teams best starters by running their pitch counts up and getting into their bullpen, which has helped us as well.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
One thing I’ve noticed is he’s been bunting a lot less. ****ing finally. Had been ruining the chance for big innings early in games with wasted outs - half of which didn’t even move the runner over.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Congratulations CDH! Baseball is a fickle game. You are damned if you do , and damned if you don’t. Ramsey gets a lot of credit, and obviously he did inject some energy into the program, but you allowed that to happen, and always gave Ramsey his due in the interviews. I for one am glad to have him on staff, but to your credit obviously you allowed that to happen. Make no mistake guys , this is CDH team. He hasn’t won over 1200 games by being a dumb ***. I get the last few years haven’t been up to par, but we have been blessed to have a great man lead our team and most importantly turn out great young men. Once again congratulations and GO JACKETS