Damon Stoudamire

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
In 1996-97 when Arizona won the natty, Pastner had a great view from the bench. He played in 8 games for a whopping 26 total minutes. Was he on the team that won it all? Yes. Did he make any meaningful contribution to the team's success on the court? No. (He had 26 DNP-CD out of 34 games)

CDS has gaudy stats, both in college and the league. It's not a criticism of Pastner to say CDS has more credibility as a player.

slugboy

Staff member
No one needs to tear down Pastner’s achievements to say Stoudamire has more swagger walking around an AAU court.

Pastner was on the bench at Zona because he wanted to learn from Lute Olson. Not everyone is on the team to contribute a double-double every night (but you better have those players). Some are there for other reasons

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
CDS was a significantly better player than Pastner, and that's an extreme understatement. I also think in terms of connections CDS likely connects with some more than Pastner. Likewise the opposite is also true in some cases. Probably CDS has the advantage there more because of Pastner's .... unique personality than anything.

Overall, I doubt CDS' playing days are much of a factor in terms of recognition. His time at Zona would be more relevant if this was a west coast school but how much do names like Ed O'Bannon and Shawn Respert carry in Georgia? I suspect not a whole lot. And his time as an NBA player, while successful, wasn't really one that I would expect to elicit a wow response unless it was someone who was a die hard Toronto or Portland fan from when he was there. Probably will be varying degrees of recognition without a lot of personal memories associated with it. Obviously that will vary greatly from person to person though. After a bit, I would suspect he'll be more recognized as GT's coach than from his playing days locally.

It will however be a good recruiting tool for him because even if people don't immediately remember his time at Arizona or in the NBA they can look it up and that can have a nice impact as well.

For what it’s worth, Stoudamire’s story isn’t that he was a championship player, or even that he was in the NBA. The dude was the guy you played on the video game—he has star power

Coaches and dads will say “I used to be you on XBox”

(I was a Steve Nash fan, tho)

BTW NBA 2k1 wasn't released on the Xbox. It was a dreamcast only game. The series would move to the xbox and playstation the year after.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Nobody’s playing career really matters in today’s environment. How much NIL can you offer and can you get me to the league? Plain and simple. Hopefully J has a plan. Right now we are five existing scholarship players plus 2, minus 7 and two walk ons and an incoming freshman that changed his mind. If we want to have a scrimmage today, coach will need to suit up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No one needs to tear down Pastner’s achievements to say Stoudamire has more swagger walking around an AAU court.

Pastner was on the bench at Zona because he wanted to learn from Lute Olson. Not everyone is on the team to contribute a double-double every night (but you better have those players). Some are there for other reasons

Paul Johnson didn't play college football at all nor did Mike Leach. Geoff Collins was a starting linebacker in college so therefore he's a better Head Coach.

:devil:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

It’s not a matter of tearing down Pastner. It was always just a question of fit and geography. I do think CDS can walk around the AAU/Prep circles of Atlanta and relate more easily. Is that fact? Absolutely not, just a theory. Proof is in the pudding and I won’t know for probably 24 months.

I think New Mexico State missed an opportunity in not hiring Josh. It was possibly his decision but I don’t really see CJP shying from that challenge.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Paul Johnson didn't play college football at all nor did Mike Leach. Geoff Collins was a starting linebacker in college so therefore he's a better Head Coach.

:devil:

Go Away GIF

slugboy

Staff member
It’s not a matter of tearing down Pastner. It was always just a question of fit and geography. I do think CDS can walk around the AAU/Prep circles of Atlanta and relate more easily. Is that fact? Absolutely not, just a theory. Proof is in the pudding and I won’t know for probably 24 months.

I think New Mexico State missed an opportunity in not hiring Josh. It was possibly his decision but I don’t really see CJP shying from that challenge.
Yes, but people ARE tearing down Pastner instead of just saying that Stoudamire connects to the players and coaches really well, and brings something extra.

Pastner played on an NCAA championship team. All in all, that’s not as big a factor in opening doors as Stoudamire having friendships with AAU coaches, or Stoudamire having kids playing AAU.
And I agree it’s going to take more than a New York minute to see how this will all turn out.

=========

On another topic, there are about a thousand players who entered the portal this year. About 1/4th have signed somewhere. Most teams I look at have their rosters depleted at this point.

Of the players in the portal, a lot of the players with good stats are from mid-majors. We haven’t even hit peak portal yet.

You would expect more roster turnover here because of the coaching change. The portal is open until May 11th, and I’d expect it to grow, and we’ll see more players we like in it.

Lots of teams have depleted rosters right now. It’s the state of college basketball.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but people ARE tearing down Pastner instead of just saying that Stoudamire connects to the players and coaches really well, and brings something extra.

Pastner played on an NCAA championship team. All in all, that’s not as big a factor in opening doors as Stoudamire having friendships with AAU coaches, or Stoudamire having kids playing AAU.
And I agree it’s going to take more than a New York minute to see how this will all turn out.

=========

On another topic, there are about a thousand players who entered the portal this year. About 1/4th have signed somewhere. Most teams I look at have their rosters depleted at this point.

Of the players in the portal, a lot of the players with good stats are from mid-majors. We haven’t even hit peak portal yet.

You would expect more roster turnover here because of the coaching change. The portal is open until May 11th, and I’d expect it to grow, and we’ll see more players we like in it.

Lots of teams have depleted rosters right now. It’s the state of college basketball.
I think I read that we have surpassed 1500 already

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Related to the pic with James Forrest—

Does he have a son that is either a junior or senior that’s pretty good in metro area? Thought I saw a Forrest kid a little while back but can’t find him now (possibly no relation as well).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Related to the pic with James Forrest—

Does he have a son that is either a junior or senior that’s pretty good in metro area? Thought I saw a Forrest kid a little while back but can’t find him now (possibly no relation as well).
Forrest has a son that was pretty good at App State and another that was at Presbyterian last year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Looking across the ACC, the best I can tell. Im using verbal commits fwiw,

BC - Looks like 13 (Penha, Post, Zackery, Madsen, Harris, Mighty, McGlockton, Aligbe, Hand, Kelley, +3 recruits)
Clemson - 11 ( Hunter, Hemenway, Clark, Beadle, Heudbreder, Schieffelin, Hall, WIggins, Godfret, Hunter #2 + 1 recruit)
Duke - 13 (Young, Roach, Blakes, Proctor, Schutt, MItchell, Filipowski, Lively, Reeves, +4 recruits)
FSU - 11 (Green, Nickelberry, Warley, Fletcher, Watkins, Miller, Corhen, Green #2, House, Jackson +1 recruit)
UL - 10 ( Davis, Traynor, Hatfield, Okorafor, James, Clark + 4 recruits)
Miami - 9 (Joseph, Peck, Robinson, Poplar, Omier, Casey, Watson +2 recruits)
UNC - 10 (Ryan, Wojcik, Bacot, Withers, Dunn, Davis, Trimble, Washington +2 rercuits)
NCSU - 12 (Morsell, Horne, Burns, Pass, Taylor, Ross, Middlebrooks, Miranda, Rice, Thomas, +2 recruits)
ND - 5 (Sanders, Konieczny, Roper, Zona, +1 rercuit)
Pitt - 11 (Hinson, Federiko, Austin, Jeffress, Leggett, Johnson, Graham, Graham #2 +3 recruits)
Cuse - 11 (Williams, Hima, Carey, Brown, Bell, Westry, Taylor, Starling, Mintz, Copeland +1 rercuit)
UVA - 11 (Franklin, Minor, Muray, Harris, Beekman, McKneely, Dunn, Rohde, Bond, +2 rercuits)
VT - 12 (Cattoor, Long, Pedulla, Kidd, Poteat, Wessler, Nickel, Camden, Collins, Rice + 2 recruits
Wake - 11 (Ituka, Miller,Hildreth, Monsanto, Carr, Marsh, Keller, Klintman, +3 recruits)

I believe at the moment we have 7 roster spots filled for next year (Sturdivant, Kelly, Coleman, Moore, Terry, Reeves and Dowuona)

Now two things, one, it's possible I missed something somewhere down the line, whether thats a recent transfer, someone announced they are going pro, testing waters, etc etc. It was a quick look up but I was just going by what one site had so take it fwiw. The second thing is this isn't accounting for quality of players. Its very likely several of the teams that have 10 or 11 players are still looking at their roster in desperate need of holes being filled. It's just looking at numbers on rosters at the moment.