Damon Stoudamire

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ya see, this is a thread about our new head basketball coach. That would lead one to understand that all questions are in reference to the new head basketball coach.
Doh!! šŸ˜£ Good point... Obviously my brain was misplaced at the time of the posting...

My apologies. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

I failed reading comprehension last night. šŸ˜³

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I wondered about the status of the assistant coaches. I agree with the comment by CDS to get it right than being fast. I expect we will hear about other staff changes after the tournament is over.

Thanks to Coach Wilkins for helping our players to grow under his tutelage. All the best to him in his next stop.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He's a pompous piece of ****, but I'll take the pub for the program.

I bet a lotta ears were ringing around here when they read this first part.

Look At Us Paul Rudd GIF

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Academics (both in terms of requirements and major/classes for students who are here).
Coaches are well aware that they cannot recruit all the same prospects they potentially can at many other P5 schools both out of HS and from the portal. I know there have been potential portal transfers who were interested in GT but were going to have to take extra summer classes in order to be eligible here so they ultimately chose other schools where they were not going to need to take extra courses to be eligible.

This comment from Matt Norlander after Pastner was fired sums it up nicely.
"Though the program does have some good seasons over the years to its name, and even despite its location in Atlanta, Georgia Tech is considered a tough power-conference job due to high admissions standards, tougher coursework than many high-major programs and, therefore, a narrower pathway to entry for recruits and transfers. "

Basketball all you need is 7 kids that can play. In my opinion Tech basketball should be a perennial top 15 program. If we can not find 7 smart kids who want to play D1 basketball in Atlanta then we might as well shut the football program down as there is no hope to find 50 kids who can play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
From the AJC

"On Friday evening, Damon Stoudamire was an assistant coach with the Boston Celtics who had just arrived in Atlanta for a Saturday night game against the Hawks. Thatā€™s when he received a call from a search firm. It was not out of the ordinary."

"Stoudamire was aware that Georgia Tech coach Josh Pastner, a friend and colleague, had been dismissed earlier in the day after seven seasons. When he heard about it, he said the possibility of him being a candidate to coach the Yellow Jackets didnā€™t register with him. And he still didnā€™t even know what the call was for ā€“ or the purpose of a dinner that the search firm had arranged for that night ā€“ until he got in the car, Stoudamire said."

ā€œHe was like, ā€˜Oh, by the way, J Batt ā€“ heā€™s the AD at Georgia Tech,ā€™ā€ Stoudamire said. ā€œā€˜Heā€™s going to meet us.ā€™ā€

Fridayā€™s dinner, Stoudamire said, was ā€œconversation and dialogue, and did that for a couple hours or so.ā€ The two met again Saturday before the Hawks-Celtics game.

It was Sunday, Stoudamire said, ā€œwhen it got serious, I guess. I donā€™t know; Iā€™m just going on my end. I got a call. Things started moving along, so I guess in my mind, I was just like, ā€˜OK, I must be their guy.ā€™ā€

Just my opinion, but I think Stoudamire was likely at or very near the top of Batt's list.
Batt obviously liked what he heard and closed things very quickly.
And Batt was decisive about moving on from under performers. Rinse wash repeat till we get a winner

Love that the Prez got the Mayor to attend a dinner.