Damon Stoudamire Article

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
Celtics assistant coach Damon Stoudamire has learned it’s all about the grind

Long time lurker, never have posted though. But interesting article that I came across where Stoudamire talks about his experiences as a coach in both college and NBA. Also talked about what he was tasked with when under Udoka at Celtics that may give interesting insight into player development. Halfway through is when he starts talking about what he learned at Pacific. Take a read when you get the chance. An insightful and in-depth article.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s interesting to read about his point guard coaching, and that he’s on good terms and connected with Arizona and Pacific. Also, that he’s been looking for a P5 job for a while.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Celtics assistant coach Damon Stoudamire has learned it’s all about the grind

Long time lurker, never have posted though. But interesting article that I came across where Stoudamire talks about his experiences as a coach in both college and NBA. Also talked about what he was tasked with when under Udoka at Celtics that may give interesting insight into player development. Halfway through is when he starts talking about what he learned at Pacific. Take a read when you get the chance. An insightful and in-depth article.
Welcome to the Swarm!

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I am a fan of the hire, FYI two old articles above, one regarding the mess left at Pacific for CDS to clean up and the second lauding his recruiting and defensive coaching at Memphis and AZ

CDS dad was a coach too and he seems to have the fire to coach and teach. I think it is fair to compare him to Stackhouse and Juwan Howard both of whom are doing fine. CDS has ATL ties, as he has two kids who recently played in high school in the area.

here he is coaching PAcific

Also, he starts today, so no waiting on a coach to finish season while all the portal kids get taken, also we weren't in a bidding war for him with ND or St. Johns, etc like we might have been with other candidates. AND, per the article Tom poster, CDS seems like he will be grateful for the opportunity to coach a major program and that was what he has been chasing. The speed with which JBATT closed the deal also makes GT look like it has its act together. GO JACKETS!

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan

I am a fan of the hire, FYI two old articles above, one regarding the mess left at Pacific for CDS to clean up and the second lauding his recruiting and defensive coaching at Memphis and AZ

CDS dad was a coach too and he seems to have the fire to coach and teach. I think it is fair to compare him to Stackhouse and Juwan Howard both of whom are doing fine. CDS has ATL ties, as he has two kids who recently played in high school in the area.

Also, he starts today, so no waiting on a coach to finish season while all the portal kids get taken, also we weren't in a bidding war for him with ND or St. Johns, etc like we might have been with other candidates. AND, per the article Tom poster, CDS seems like he will be grateful for the opportunity to coach a major program and that was what he has been chasing. The speed with which JBATT closed the deal also makes GT look like it has its act together. GO JACKETS!

Jason Smith article is a great write-up. Damon effect on Ariz and Memphis defensive ranking is something to look forward to as Tech fan.
I'm not saying he is the next Bennett/UVa, but Bennett won at UVa first because of defense.
You will not have the early season loses if Tech plays great defense against lesser teams!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Take 2 minutes and watch the video, he didn't fluff up comments knowing he was being videoed. Well maybe cleaned up some language, but he wasn't gushing praise, but instead giving constructive criticism.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Two of the best things I read;
1. Acknowledging NBA and college are very different. “Duh,” but I hope that isn’t lip service. There is not a lot of crossover coaching success to point to. I know he left college game for his NBA shot, but I hope his coaching “fire” is rooted in the college game and all that goes along with it. For better or worse, he has little HC experience in either spot, so I don’t know if he should be classified a college guy or an NBA guy. I hope he really wants to be (and understands how to be) a college guy.
2. Talked about hiring good people who make you better and fill your holes. That’s key for everyone and in my opinion, critical for him. He really only has about 4 years of relevant experience (nothing wrong with that, we probably weren’t getting a super seasoned guy regardless) at Pacific. He has obviously been around the game all of his life and has been around some good coaches. I have no doubt he knows the game, but I expect a learning curve. I hope he surrounds himself with people who temper that.

The last thing I’ll say wasnt quoted from CDS, but I like the fact that he never left a place because people wanted him to go and it sounds like almost everywhere he has been would welcome him back. I know everyone tries to be gracious when parting ways but what I’ve seen with regard to Stoudamire seems genuine and that is really reassuring.

I am cautiously optimistic. I have fears that limited experience or NBA mindset or “recruiting fixes everything” could rear their ugly heads, but on the flip side, this could be a diamond in the rough hire. So far, what I’m hearing seems encouraging.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

one more article from when he got his Pacific job. Good stuff. I am going to say he is easier to root for than Chris Beard.
Holy $:&@! That’s great... really great! I love it. I’m psyched that grandma would be most proud of him being a college coach... I hope that’s where he is committed for good.

My only beef ;).... “Medium well, ma’am.” I think Lute steered him wrong here and I hope he has learned not to ask for burnt steaks.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

one more article from when he got his Pacific job. Good stuff. I am going to say he is easier to root for than Chris Beard.
Incredibly moving letter he wrote to his younger self. Not many people are ever that self introspective. I always wonder what made Lute Olsen such a good recruiter. He clearly had developing his players as men as a priority. Speaks well the CDS seems to feel that is very important for college coaches. The man seems both genuine and comfortable with who he is as a person. Everything I have read on him is totally positive and encouraging.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Holy $:&@! That’s great... really great! I love it. I’m psyched that grandma would be most proud of him being a college coach... I hope that’s where he is committed for good.

My only beef ;).... “Medium well, ma’am.” I think Lute steered him wrong here and I hope he has learned not to ask for burnt steaks.
The way to order a steak is "Give me the filet. I want it lightly seared and blue on the inside. If it is bleeding you cooked it too much."

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Funny you mention Juwan. A good friend of mine is a huge UM and Celtics fan. He called me about hiring Damon and said we got a hell of a coach that’s going to be a star.
He made the Juwan comparison because of the NBA player/assistant coaching similarities. He said the best thing Damon should do, like Juwan, is get someone on the staff that can recruit the state/city like he did for MI and Detroit and find an older, former respected college coach like he did with Phil Martelli. There will be times someone like that will be crucial in a big game to offset the inexperience side Damon will have.

All in all, he’s extremely disappointed his Celtics lost Damon but thinks we made a huge hire!

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

I remember reading this article and being super impressed. I (vaguely) recalled the article over the last 48 hours, but wasn’t sure if it was 10 years ago or 20 years ago and figured I’d never find it again. Thank you!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

For those of the skimmed over the headline of the article and did not read it, go back and click on the link and read the darn thing. If you think the article sucks, come back and let us know. I'll be surprised if most folks don't feel it touch something inside themselves...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Wow. That is what I am talking about. I am sad to see CJP go, and I am excited to read this and see a glimpse into who CDS will be for us.

slugboy

Staff member
For those of the skimmed over the headline of the article and did not read it, go back and click on the link and read the darn thing. If you think the article sucks, come back and let us know. I'll be surprised if most folks don't feel it touch something inside themselves...
Wow. That is what I am talking about. I am sad to see CJP go, and I am excited to read this and see a glimpse into who CDS will be for us.
If he doesn’t close recruits, it’s NIL. The guy is relatable and has a great story to tell