DABO on Revenue Sharing and NIL--Clemson Short on NIL?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is a more behind the scenes article on what occurred.

What should likely be pointed out based on this article is that fans should expect to see more and more athletes make decisions to pull the plug before they play game 4 of the season to retain their redshirt.

"We've even already seen the midseason transfer a few times early in 2024. Oklahoma State offensive lineman Jason Brooks announced that he'd enter the portal last week. Earlier this week, Notre Dame coach Marcus Freeman said that Jaden Mickey, who had been third in the team's cornerback rotation, would do the same."

"You, in theory, could get another shot at a payday and maximize your time in college," a Power Four general manager told Chris Hummer of 247Sports/CBS Sports. "I think players are going to start paying attention to your four games and whether to look at it through the lens of a business decision."

There are also documented cases of players exercising their leverage to request more money for play.

Before Maryland's 2022 Mayo Bowl game appearance against North Carolina State, Tagovailoa and two other players went to Locksley and said they'd need $50,000 each to play in the game,

The prevailing sentiment is that the system is at fault here, rather than the player. It's going to happen again. How long until players hold out in the middle of the season?

Article below with Brian Kelly and Kirby Smart comments concerning NIL and the Matthew Sluka situation. Kelly believes the situation can be improved if the NIL funding is handled through the schools rather than by 3rd parties including cooperatives and agents.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing to prevent any team from recruiting anywhere. Tennessee had a full-time recruiting office in Southern California despite not being a PAC-12 member.

As to research, departments make their own decisions. Athletic conferences have very little to do with strategic partnerships for research. What’s far more important is editorial and peer review.

ITs different when one game a year might be in atlanta when you are recruiting atlanta kids. Sure mom and dad might fly up to Ann arbor for all the games but the extended family won't.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don't think leary has a redshirt left.
Everything I can see shows he started at Alabama in 2021. He played in 8 games in 21, 10 games in 22, then transferred to Tech and played in 13 games in 23. He played in the first 4 games this year but not against Louisville so he could sit now and redshirt this year, enter the portal and play a full year next year.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We actually had that happen in a way with a Lineman in CPJ's time. He got a gig with microsoft and chose to do that rather than grad school.

I think that was a LB, Albert Rocker. The OL was Fromayan, IIRC, who I think got a job with NASCAR.
In CPJ's time, it wasn't unusual to lose players who graduated but didn't get accepted into GT's grad school, thus transferring to play elsewhere if they still had eligibility. Wouldn't be surprised if that is still happening with the likes of Kennard, etc. Of course, now we have NIL as an additional enticement.