Dabo is … a villain

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I thought about posting this when I saw it earlier. Some of the stuff in there is too political, but I absolutely agree that it is petty and embarrassing for Dabo to deny Bryant a ring.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I read the first few paragraphs.

Bryant quit the team. He no longer showed up to practices after declaring he would transfer. Doesn’t deserve a thing..

Did he or did he not contribute to the championship season by starting and winning a third of their regular season games? Case closed.

As far as him quitting, he did what he had to do for his own future. He's supposed to sacrifice any chance he had of making the pros? Would you?

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Did he or did he not contribute to the championship season by starting and winning a third of their regular season games? Case closed.

As far as him quitting, he did what he had to do for his own future. He's supposed to sacrifice any chance he had of making the pros? Would you?
Yes but he quit after four games. He could’ve continued to practice with the team and supported/traveled with the team and not burned his eligibility (so long as he was not put into the game). Pretty sure he was still enrolled at Clemson through December. He was looking out for himself, not the team (and I do not blame him - I would have done the same.. but I wouldn’t expect a ring).

This is like me having a great 6 months of sales at work, quitting in the 7th month and expecting an end of the year bonus. Not going to happen.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Football is a team sport and Kelly Bryant quit the team for his own personal gain. Dabo owes him nothing.

Trevor Lawrence was injured in the Syracuse game and Clemson had to fall back on their freshman QB because Kelly ditched them. Lucky for Clemson that their freshman pulled through and Lawrence’s injury wasn’t serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yes but he quit after four games. He could’ve continued to practice with the team and supported/traveled with the team and not burned his eligibility (so long as he was not put into the game). Pretty sure he was still enrolled at Clemson through December. He was looking out for himself, not the team (and I do not blame him - I would have done the same.. but I wouldn’t expect a ring).

This is like me having a great 6 months of sales at work, quitting in the 7th month and expecting an end of the year bonus. Not going to happen.

IMO, it would have been too much to ask for him to travel and continue practicing with the team. If T-Law got injured, he would have been put in a very uncomfortable spot, having to choose between helping his team win a single game or his future. He did the right thing, IMO.

Your sales analogy doesn't hold water. The tradition in sports has always been that anyone who contributed to a championship gets a ring, even scout teamers, and certainly anyone who appeared in a game. much less started multiple games in the most important position on the team. Nah. Dabo is being ridiculous and petty here, trying to prove a point and show he will punish guys who transfer in any way he can. This has definitely dropped my respect for Dabo down a few notches.

Coaches always look out for themselves; leaving for new jobs with no notice. Only the players get punished for looking out for # 1.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I can see both sides and don’t really have a strong opinion one way or another. (Though I lean toward he should have gotten a ring) I will say if Dabo had really wanted to be a villain, he would have played Bryant in that 5th game and then he would have been stuck. It is muddied by the circumstances and I think Bryant made the correct choice for himself

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, it would have been too much to ask for him to travel and continue practicing with the team. If T-Law got injured, he would have been put in a very uncomfortable spot, having to choose between helping his team win a single game or his future. He did the right thing, IMO.

Your sales analogy doesn't hold water. The tradition in sports has always been that anyone who contributed to a championship gets a ring, even scout teamers, and certainly anyone who appeared in a game. much less started multiple games in the most important position on the team. Nah. Dabo is being ridiculous and petty here, trying to prove a point and show he will punish guys who transfer in any way he can. This has definitely dropped my respect for Dabo down a few notches.
Yes the tradition in sports is to give anyone who contributed a ring. I have never seen a person who quit get a ring though.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Whether Dabo wanted to or not, he can't give Bryant a ring without committing an NCAA violation. As far as I know, Bryant was not on the team (and no longer enrolled at Clemson) and thus not eligible to play in the championship game:

16.1.4.2 Awards for Winning Conference and National Championships
Awards for winning an individual or team conference or national championship may be presented each year, limited in value and number as specified in Figure 16-2. Awards for winning a conference or national championship in a team sport may be provided only to student-athletes who were eligible to participate in the championship event.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yes the tradition in sports is to give anyone who contributed a ring. I have never seen a person who quit get a ring though.

I dunno who has or hasn't gotten one in the past because I would imagine that most of the time, the guy is just quietly mailed his ring. The fact that it made headlines tells me it is not the norm. And I almost guarantee that if it was some third string special teamer, he would have gotten one. Dabo took the Bryant thing personally and is acting like a child. Just my opinion, gonna have to agree to disagree with some of ya'll on this one.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
I dunno who has or hasn't gotten one in the past because I would imagine that most of the time, the guy is just quietly mailed his ring. The fact that it made headlines tells me it is not the norm. And I almost guarantee that if it was some third string special teamer, he would have gotten one. Dabo took the Bryant thing personally and is acting like a child. Just my opinion, gonna have to agree to disagree with some of ya'll on this one.
You don’t know about quitters who have, and haven’t gotten one because a transfer like this rarely happens (a player quitting on his team after 4 games). It made headlines today because the transfer made headlines last year and was such a big deal. Kelly Bryant made it about himself and abandoned his team. I think the best thing to do would to ask Kelly Bryan himself if he believes he deserves a ring. I bet the answer would be no.

I think I deserve a 2014 ACC Championship ring because I came to every home game in the same lucky underwear and cheered on my team (therefore creating more crowd noise). I will stop by the school tomorrow and demand a ring for my contribution.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I would absolutely sell out to get to the pros, and perhaps in the same way as Bryant.

And if I left like Bryant then I would not expect a ring.

It doesn’t mean I’d have a problem if the team decided to give him one. The examples in the first few paragraphs are entirely different... leaving voluntarily midseason vs being traded or making one tackle is not the same thing.

The whole controversy is absurd. I don’t care about the outcome either way and have 100% more frustration over the fact that this is even a discussion.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I would absolutely sell out to get to the pros, and perhaps in the same way as Bryant.

And if I left like Bryant then I would not expect a ring.

It doesn’t mean I’d have a problem if the team decided to give him one. The examples in the first few paragraphs are entirely different... leaving voluntarily midseason vs being traded or making one tackle is not the same thing.

The whole controversy is absurd. I don’t care about the outcome either way and have 100% more frustration over the fact that this is even a discussion.

I disagree with the concept that it should matter how and why he left. That's just me. Leaving doesn't negate the work he put in prior to leaving is how I see it. But if BonaFideJacket is correct about the NCAA rule, it's all moot (I wonder why no one who has written an article about it bothered to look up the rule!), so I'll step aside.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree with the concept that it should matter how and why he left. That's just me. Leaving doesn't negate the work he put in prior to leaving is how I see it. But if BonaFideJacket is correct about the NCAA rule, it's all moot (I wonder why no one who has written an article about it bothered to look up the rule!), so I'll step aside.
If his attitude was or would have been detrimental to the team, such that a mutual parting of ways was best for both parties, I think it matters. Just another example. But, it's just an opinion and like I said, I won't lose any sleep over it either way. I get your point of view too. This just feels like one of those news stories that becomes a story because writers need something to write about, imo.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If his attitude was or would have been detrimental to the team, such that a mutual parting of ways was best for both parties, I think it matters. Just another example. But, it's just an opinion and like I said, I won't lose any sleep over it either way. I get your point of view too. This just feels like one of those news stories that becomes a story because writers need something to write about, imo.

That's fair. As to the writer's other criticisms, they basically amount to "he is against paying players". I'd say that is a complex issue. I tend to be sympathetic to the players' argument there, but Dabo is far from alone in his opposition, so I dunno about that one.