D1 baseball rankings, 4/17

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's what was said about us in D1 Chat. And why sort of we aren't in their top 25.

Jumbled mess describes a lot.

Pretty sure the error in the third to last sentence, meant to say VT and not Pitt.
1650320560087.png

1650320598568.png

1650320639999.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
1650329555753.png

10 ACC teams!! Wow.

I don't believe that. I am betting 8 or 9.

I was about to post "wondering" what the number will be. Currently... if less than 10, GT is home for post season (and I don't mean the hosting kind)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
View attachment 12344

10 ACC teams!! Wow.

I don't believe that. I am betting 8 or 9.

I was about to post "wondering" what the number will be. Currently... if less than 10, GT is home for post season (and I don't mean the hosting kind)

If the season ended today we'd be a 2 or 3 seed given the 7 RPI. Right or wrong that RPI is very highly regarded. Plus we took some important series - VT, uGag, etc. But also need to be at or above 500 in conference play. I sort of think if we don't get above 500 in ACC we'll be below 20 RPI, regardless I don't ever think there has been a top 20 RPI team that wasn't at or above 500 in conference.

I don't believe the 10 either. Just because the selection committee seems to like to spread the bids around as much as they can. And I think that is good for college baseball overall to give more mid-major teams a bid. Increases interest in college baseball across the country.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If the season ended today we'd be a 2 or 3 seed given the 7 RPI. Right or wrong that RPI is very highly regarded. Plus we took some important series - VT, uGag, etc. But also need to be at or above 500 in conference play. I sort of think if we don't get above 500 in ACC we'll be below 20 RPI, regardless I don't ever think there has been a top 20 RPI team that wasn't at or above 500 in conference.

I don't believe the 10 either. Just because the selection committee seems to like to spread the bids around as much as they can. And I think that is good for college baseball overall to give more mid-major teams a bid. Increases interest in college baseball across the country.
Agree. We're sort destined to be a top 20 RPI team playing as a 2-seed at an SEC site.

For record... there was an outlier in 2016. UNC finished 13-17 in conference (11th place) and #19 RPI. They failed to make the [then] 10 team ACC Tournament & did not get in the field of 64 despite the high RPI. This prompted the ACC to immediately adopt the current 12-team Tournament format.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
D1baseball projections have us hosting a regional......with Vandy, Ga State and College of Charleston.
Revenge for Nashville last year?
Wow, 4ACC hosts. These projections are fun to talk about at this stage, but that's about all I guess.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol, did they write that b4 last night? Maybe they spoke it into existence
I'll take any good mojo we can get. However, D1 has been pretty high on us all year. And Fitt, who has seen us in person on several occasions, is pretty much sold on our offense being tops in the nation or pretty close to it. I also think they feel we have faced the top tier talent of our schedule in the ACC, with the exception of Miami, and feel we will come out stronger against the back half of our schedule. Add to that our out of conference schedule is amongst the strongest in the nation and you can see why they are optimistic about our chances. All we need, cough cough, is a little pitching.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Excited to see the projection. Hosting would be awesome. Having said that, Vandy might be one of the worst 2-seeds available.

Geographically, we're destined to face an underrated 2-seed every time we host. But thats a rough draw.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
So 4 of the top hitting teams in the country are in the ACC and we have faced all three of the others already winning 4 and losing 5. Who knew how impressive those 3 against VT would look at this time of year. We are 6-3 against the top 15 as they are ranked presently.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So 4 of the top hitting teams in the country are in the ACC and we have faced all three of the others already winning 4 and losing 5. Who knew how impressive those 3 against VT would look at this time of year. We are 6-3 against the top 15 as they are ranked presently.

Momentum is one of the more important factors in top seeding. Top teams need to play well in May to got a top seeding. If we end up with a 10 or better RPI, we *should* be ranked in the Top 16. To do that, we have to win most (maybe 70%?) of our series / games.

VT has a 28 RPI. They only played ND once (and beat them). If they falter in May and drop to <40 RPI, they may not even make the NCAAs. Stranger things have happened than being a Chokie.