D coordinators

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I actually saw some progress today. After Syracuse worked us all first half last week, we actually defended some passes.
Have some coverage limitations at LB, and we are missing that Derrick Morgan/keion white type animal at DE but they earned the plays they made today.
Gotta give Tucci some time, and need to find and develop some DL.

Funny you mention Tenuta. He was giving up 32 ppg at his last dc spot at uva. Have to get the chef quality ingredients.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Been a Tech fan for many year don’t post much. After watching the horrific defense in the first half I started thinking. The last decent D coordinator Tech has had is Tenuta. We have been terrible since 07 that’s 17 years of sub par to awful defense. When is this going to change?
We have a talent issue on defense. We don’t get to opposing QBs regardless of how many guys we rush. The schemes are ok. Just don’t have anyone who routinely wins battles at the LOS on defense.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Been a Tech fan for many year don’t post much. After watching the horrific defense in the first half I started thinking. The last decent D coordinator Tech has had is Tenuta. We have been terrible since 07 that’s 17 years of sub par to awful defense. When is this going to change?
It has changed, pull your head out of the sand.
Thacker could have held them to 17 points also, after one quarter. :)

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Dave Wommack was a decent DC. Paul firing him and hiring Al Groh was a good move at the time (as Groh was an okay HC at Virginia) but looking back it did not pay off.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
Dave Wommack was a decent DC. Paul firing him and hiring Al Groh was a good move at the time (as Groh was an okay HC at Virginia) but looking back it did not pay off.
Grogh ran the 3-4 which Tech didn't have the personal for and from recollection he had to dummy down the responsibilities for the entire defense. Definitely square peg not fitting a round hole.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Faster linebackers would be great, sure. But what would be better still is one or more slippery, athletic DEs who are almost impossible to block. I thought Height might have been that, but I don't hear his name called much.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
It has changed, pull your head out of the sand.
Thacker could have held them to 17 points also, after one quarter.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I don't put this on the defense they did their job IMO if there is a coordinator to blame I put it on the OC. We need a little more diversity in our offense. Seems we're running the same few things and they know what to do on many situations against us. Maybe our OC lacks any imagination in his offensive planning, certainly they think they have an outstanding QB so I'm guessing his doing some other things is not the problem.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is a major issue. With the pad they give at the LOS, why are they always running with their back to the QB in deep passes?
Mostly because we get no pass rush and the receivers have all day to run their routes. We play a lot of man coverage. It’s fairly normal for DBs to be running with backs to the QB on deep passes. The best DB are better at playing the ball and can tell when the receiver turns or reaches up to make a catch. Ours don’t do that well.

Very few DBs can cover receivers well when QBs have 5+ seconds in the pocket. Ours clearly can’t.