Cutting off the QB scramble

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks to me like it's a controlled rush designed to contain the QB in the pocket. I think the bottom pressure is coming from a LB who is standing at the line pre snap (stinger ?) The outside push is intentionally past the QB's drop point to enable a flowback type rush while containing. The secondary is responsible for the sack, in particular the Safety is taking away the slot on the inside post route which is where I think the QB wanted to go. Classic coverage sack which shows the importance of this weeks game being on the defense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know everyone has seen this already, but what do you think about how the DE curl back to cut off the QB scramble?

One of the best ways to cut off a scramble is a twist stunt or x stunt with the dt and inside de in a 3-4. This helps with scrambles and good screen teams. It allows the twisting defender time to read and he ends up actually twisting into a draw or qb scramble. This is what I would do a bit more of vs scrambling qbs. Twist into them.

We dont have to worry as much vs usf though. He buys time. Not scrambles for yards as much.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Ya, coverage sack, sorta. Looks like wfuqb was trying to look off and hit the comeback to the boundary. The one to the field was there, but that's a grown up throw.