Curious why our D always looks the same?

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
No asking why our D always seems to be hurting us by why they are always lined up the same. Its like there is no imagination.
Passing play, running play it always seems we have 4 DL and 3 LB ( or Nickel )aligned the same way. Why can't the LB stand on line the to confuse. Why cant the SS come up to confuse, Why cant the DL stand up move around, why cant CB dance around making it look like the are going to blitz.
Every single play we just look so normal. I don't know maybe its the system, maybe its the players, maybe its the coach worried if he gets fancy the players will get confused. I don't know. But I attend every home game and we just look so plain on D.
I can't remember the last time a QB had to take a timeout cause he was confused by our coverage.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Its because we are ultra simple on d. I cant recall if in chat or on this board but i was stating i have seen high school ds more multiple. We have the same simple blitzes and stunts, an occasional basic zone dog and we are almost always in free or 2 deep. Everything we do on the backend is easily diagnosed by the qb pre snap. We dont show a cover three look and roll to 2 deep. Or play man and bail to a cover 3. Or show a cover 2 look and back to quarters or man free by rolling the ss up. We do none of that. We line up. Stand there. And wait.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On a thread last week, someone asked if shifting at the last second causes our offensive linemen such problems, why can't we try that? I dunno.

We did it pretty well in the 2012 ACC Championship game vs FSU and the 2012 Bowl Game vs USC.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Isnt that dc at FSU?.
Thought it was kelly who fred up the d when he was temporary dc. When not prompted went to fsu.
Heck I cant be sure.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Isnt that dc at FSU?.
Thought it was kelly who fred up the d when he was temporary dc. When not prompted went to fsu.
Heck I cant be sure.

Looked it up on fsu coach board , kelly turned the groh fold in 4 th quarter (10 points average) to zero last few games that included fsu and usc.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
This my real complaint about Roof. We are too vanilla on defense. PJ complains all the time about not being able to rush the QB with the front 4 yet we hardly blitz and when we do, it's our 225 pound LB trying to take on a 300 pound OG.

We're not talented enough to win 1 on 1 battles at the LOS most of the time, so we need to be more aggressive with our play calling.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Last year Roof seemed come out of the base defense late in the game ( blitz, gap rush dt, rotate coverage, jump route) to cause a t o. This got more agressive as the season went on and we got TO. Wonder what is his decesion point. Really started being agressive last year after coach complained in public.

If I was a stud or thought I was good I would want to play in a more agressive defense.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
This hit the nail on the head for me. I feel the same exact way. We have played D like I think we should maybe 5-10 times in the last 10 years. I wish Roof would adopt a more aggressive approach while he has some pretty fast DBs at his disposal. I haven't seen us get beat deep very often lately... I think if we pressed a little on the receivers it may give us some time to get a pass rush to the QB. The way we play D right now... the opposing offense can do exactly what we try to do on offense and be successful at it. Short to intermediate passes, screens, and draws to just chip away at yardage and convert for 1st downs all the way down the field. If almost every pass is a high % one... we aren't going to create TOs and it will in turn give our O less opportunities to score. I like Roofs recruiting abilities... but we've got to quit being so vanilla on D. I think we have the backend to get a little more creative.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Our D seems really vanilla this year. CPJ mentioned something about simplification on his radio show today, for both sides of the ball. Maybe we are just not currently capable of anything more exciting? I dunno.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We show different looks but it is so early in the play clock when our DBs roll down or CB bailout that the picture becomes crystal clear for the QB. It's cool to be vanilla but you have to be extremely disclipline in your assignment (we are not), have a DL that can speed up a QB(we don't), and guys that keep the ball I front of the sticks, rally up and make a the tackle(we don't do)

It has been noted that our 3-4 of our DBs are 4.4 guys, how times have you guys seen CB/Safety blitz? With the exceptional play of Brant Mitchell, why haven't we seen some type of 3-3-5 like last season with Marcodes coming off the edge? There is a lot we can to help our defense out

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm certainly no expert on defense or even football in general. But it seems a recipe for quick disaster to call for press coverage on receivers when we can never seem to pressure the QB. I think that would also necessitate more safety help in pass defense thus opening us up more against the run game. I think our staff primarily wants to stop the run first.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
On the radio show CPJ said that last year he told Roof to get the defense off of the field as fast as possible. Either we stopped them right way or they scored right away. While that strategy could cause the game to turn into a shootout, CPJ was fine with that because last year's offense was so good that he felt we could keep up.

This year, the offense isn't as good. CPJ estimated that the offense is a touchdown to 10 points worse than last year. So, he's reluctant to go back to last year's defensive strategy knowing that the offense will miss a couple of turns.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
No doubt we are pure vanillia on defense and we are paying for it.......we are out manned weight and strength wise and yet we still seem to rush only four.......for good or bad liked JT and his defense....yeah we get beat deep at times but we did change up the aggressive attitude of the defense and we did make stops....right now we are playing set tennis.........who ever has the ball last wins the set.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I listened to the presser yesterday and Paul specifically mentioned that they got super aggressive in the last six games last year, but haven't done that this year...

Not sure why that's not worth a try, considering it turned our season around...

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
This my real complaint about Roof. We are too vanilla on defense. PJ complains all the time about not being able to rush the QB with the front 4 yet we hardly blitz and when we do, it's our 225 pound LB trying to take on a 300 pound OG.

We're not talented enough to win 1 on 1 battles at the LOS most of the time, so we need to be more aggressive with our play calling.

Exactly. Foster seems to get it done with smaller a DL. We should be able to also.