Cuonzo Martin

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't looked into him, but there is the thing about the sex harassment at Cal, and UT fans think he is a jerk. It does appear he can recruit since he got J Brown from AtL. he also has a weird thing at CAL since they haven't had him sign a contract so may want to leave or may want to use us to get a 5 year deal with Cal. Cal folks don't seem happy with admin not getting him his contract.

I would be ok with it, considering how things have gone. But I would hope we don't have to overpay. not that the money is coming out of my pocket, but overpaying for him is a bad look for us. IMO

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
As I noted on another thread he is a Purdue grad, coaches at Cal, both of which are high academic institutions.
Recruiting to GT academics should not be a problem.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to clarify the sexual harassment charge is against an assistant who he fired and he is not the central figure in the investigation. He is an excellent recruiter and took Tennessee to a Sweet 16.

I like him as a candidate.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Just to clarify the sexual harassment charge is against an assistant who he fired and he is not the central figure in the investigation. He is an excellent recruiter and took Tennessee to a Sweet 16.

I like him as a candidate.

But there were whispers that he knew about the incident for months and did nothing about it

TheStolenT

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched his teams at Tennessee some since I'm from the area, and I was never impressed. He's a good recruiter but not a very good X/O in game coach. Seems to have a lot of trouble getting along well with the fanbases everywhere he goes. The Ut folks didn't like him because he wasn't Bruce pearl but he didn't do much to change anybodies mind. Better than winthrops coach but still not very exciting.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I would be excited about him. He would've taken Cal far into the tourney this year I think if they didn't have injuries. He can recruit, so I think he would clean up in ATL

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On the harassment case, I read through some of the tweets, and it looks like she was trying to friend-zone Huffnagel politely, but he apparently took it as flirting. The dude tweeted some pretty over-the-top sexual advances at her, and from what I saw she never just tweeted back an explicit rejection. It looks like a story of a loser (Huffnagel) losing. Martin seems to have gotten upset with what had happened at tried to get Huffnagel to call her to work it out, but that didn't happen because she wouldn't give him her phone number. So, apparently Martin decided that she was going to work it out her own way and stepped back.

At least that's what I got out of 15 min of looking into it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good point although the recent reports are that he communicated with the reporter and acted properly. Who knows

Whoa, shakim and I agree on something. Huzzah!

Seriously though, based on my skimming through of the issues, it looks more like a witch hunt at Cal.

Apparently there was a separate investigation into faculty sexually harassing students. Then, the accusations against the Cal assistant came up out of nowhere. The "authorities" roped the situation in with the prior investigation hence the rush to fire the guy. Seems they wanted to show they weren't playing favorites maybe?

Ultimately it appears the reporter's case had nothing to do with the other situation (s), obviously. Hufnagel's attorneys appear to be suggesting the reporter released partial records of the txts in question. Conveniently leaving out instances where she initiated sexual innuendos and such.

I could see how Martin may have been turned off by it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, one more thing. The day after Martin received an e-mail from the reporter which said that she wanted to explain the situation more fully than she had before, that e-mail was forwarded by an AAD to the Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination. It seems to me that all the data suggests Martin operated with an appropriate seriousness and level-headedness.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
usa-today-9160927.0.jpg

Bye Felicia!

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
I graduated from Tech and then got a PhD from Cal. For some reason though, I'm a die hard Tech fan but have only a passing interest in Cal basketball. First, Jaylen Brown goes to Cal instead of Tech. Now the Cal coach might go to Tech. What irony.

I watched a few Cal games this year, more to watch Brown than the coach. Unfortunately, I was not very impressed with how the team played. The players were talented, but in terms of X's and O'x, it just seemed very disorganized. Those who said we'd back to the Hewitt days might be right. I hope Martin hires a strong bench coach if he's to become our coach. We will certainly get a sorely needed upgrade in talent.