CPJ was on 92.9 this morning

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember Charles Dudish.

I’ve just got to respond to that one. ’yjack, you must be as old as me. I well remember Charles “the Dud” Dudish. Highly recruited, he didn’t run well if at all. One game he somehow broke into the clear and being well ahead of everyone to the point they never could have caught him, he tripped himself up and fell flat on his face!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agree, but in the context CPJ was talking about when asked about QB’s he’s talking about him being an athlete in relationship to the ability to be a QB and do those things you are talking about imo. If it wasn’t asked about the QB position and he was just talking about him being an athlete I could see where you are coming from.
You don't know how much I hope you are right. This offense in that Orange Bowl Year was a serious piece of work. Gobs of yards on the ground and a solid -- more importantly, dependable -- passing game scared the daylights out of people and Jimbo Fisher is still in recovery. I thought it was Swinney, but maybe that ran him to Texas.

I’ve just got to respond to that one. ’yjack, you must be as old as me. I well remember Charles “the Dud” Dudish. Highly recruited, he didn’t run well if at all. One game he somehow broke into the clear and being well ahead of everyone to the point they never could have caught him, he tripped himself up and fell flat on his face!
I went to LA to see the Jackets play USC, and, although we lost, Dudish had a phenomenal game.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
You don't know how much I hope you are right. This offense in that Orange Bowl Year was a serious piece of work. Gobs of yards on the ground and a solid -- more importantly, dependable -- passing game scared the daylights out of people and Jimbo Fisher is still in recovery. I thought it was Swinney, but maybe that ran him to Texas.
He left for Texas because his wife cheated on him and is/was going through a nasty divorce and I think there was an issue with a booster

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He left for Texas because his wife cheated on him and is/was going through a nasty divorce and I think there was an issue with a booster
I like my versions better. He is making big money there, but in terms of NC hope, he is in deep water compared to the ACC. And the ACC is no longer a cakewalk,

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Agree. That DL front 4 of theirs is being projected as 3 top 10 draft picks and 1 top 20. Some are saying it may be the best college D line ever. Let’s not set too high of an expectation for our OL in this game.
Just one question, how can you have 3 top 10 but yet only 1 top 20? :D

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. That DL front 4 of theirs is being projected as 3 top 10 draft picks and 1 top 20. Some are saying it may be the best college D line ever. Let’s not set too high of an expectation for our OL in this game.
Sounds like a challenge to me. If we can concentrate on winning the first 3, which are vital to our season and a couple games that won’t be easy, I’m going to welcome the chance of playing Clem at our place in a showdown. I’ll welcome it regardless, but 3-0 vs 3-0 in Bobby Dodd, hopefully at night is going to be Loud! There’s a chill in the air and I feel it already.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like a challenge to me. If we can concentrate on winning the first 3, which are vital to our season and a couple games that won’t be easy, I’m going to welcome the chance of playing Clem at our place in a showdown. I’ll welcome it regardless, but 3-0 vs 3-0 in Bobby Dodd, hopefully at night is going to be Loud! There’s a chill in the air and I feel it already.

We haven't been competitive 3 years running against em so can't get much worse.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Different D, more experienced o line and a 2nd year qb, we can hope. The last few years have sucked but Clem has been elite. We always have a chance against them, especially at the house, and they know that based on their record in Atlanta over the past decade or so. I always have a good feeling when they come here, no matter the squads. Kinda like when unc or uva comes here. I always feel confident.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If he's still standing after Clemson he is better.
There is another thread, or at least contents, that have to do with Johnson's personality and temperament. Legitimate concerns I think, if somewhat overblown. But when I see this thread and the overweening concern with Clemson, well. (I know Clemson is loaded again, and they set aside practices for the option even when they say they don't, it being unmanly or something. ) My awkward point is that Johnson is going to respect them but they don't scare him. That's part of his personality: too, tee it up and let's play. We on the other hand, are scared of Clemson. So if he doesn't come over as Smilin' Jack, I still prefer his attitude. And he has caught them reading their clippings a couple of times.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is another thread, or at least contents, that have to do with Johnson's personality and temperament. Legitimate concerns I think, if somewhat overblown. But when I see this thread and the overweening concern with Clemson, well. (I know Clemson is loaded again, and they set aside practices for the option even when they say they don't, it being unmanly or something. ) My awkward point is that Johnson is going to respect them but they don't scare him. That's part of his personality: too, tee it up and let's play. We on the other hand, are scared of Clemson. So if he doesn't come over as Smilin' Jack, I still prefer his attitude. And he has caught them reading their clippings a couple of times.
I agree with you, but Clemson will be a difficult game on many levels. Not the least of them the talent on their defensive line. The way you beat the triple option (or any offense) is to deny the offense free movement in their own backfield. Clemson does that by having all four defensive linemen defeat their blocker one on one. It is going to be very tough, even at home, to not get blown out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you, but Clemson will be a difficult game on many levels. Not the least of them the talent on their defensive line. The way you beat the triple option (or any offense) is to deny the offense free movement in their own backfield. Clemson does that by having all four defensive linemen defeat their blocker one on one. It is going to be very tough, even at home, to not get blown out.
The best way to beat the option is by stopping the dive with your front 4 allowing all back 7 a free run to the perimeter. If we can do just 2 things we have a chance, 1) get consistent 3 - 4 yards a pop up the middle and 2) get a consistent hat on the MLB.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you cannot block the DT, the option is in trouble. The midline could work, if you can block the DE.