CPJ speaks at AFCA Convention

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Would love to hear the speech but I guess it wasn't recorded. I wonder if he goes in to WHY the fallacy is mistaken, i.e. the relative nature of sport on any level, as well as the double standard for "normal" teams and Flexbone teams. For instance how the Flex is considered an "ancient" offense but was developed in the 90s, whereas the shotgun spread concept has been around since Curly Lambeau used it.

Regarding point 7, Johnson obviously has superior knowledge of the game, and we know, based on his game-time demeanor, that he has the fear and respect of the players. Based on comments by former players, he also has their LOVE. He says you need one of those characteristics to survive and all three to be outstanding. I would say that sums it all up, because he is indeed an OUTSTANDING COACH !!!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Would love to hear the speech but I guess it wasn't recorded. I wonder if he goes in to WHY the fallacy is mistaken, i.e. the relative nature of sport on any level, as well as the double standard for "normal" teams and Flexbone teams. For instance how the Flex is considered an "ancient" offense but was developed in the 90s, whereas the shotgun spread concept has been around since Curly Lambeau used it.

I'd like to know if he uses any metrics or technologies. Does he incorporate psychologist and counsellors to assist player development. (Sabanisms)

It is my understanding that CPJ created his offense but the flexbone was around before? He based his offense from the run and shoot?

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
I love seeing things like the foundation pillars from different coaches. It gives you some insight into which coaches have similar philosophies. Number 10 above is almost word for word one of Urban Meyer's key talking points when he gives coaching association talks or clinics.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'd like to know if he uses any metrics or technologies. Does he incorporate psychologist and counsellors to assist player development. (Sabanisms)

It is my understanding that CPJ created his offense but the flexbone was around before? He based his offense from the run and shoot?
The sports psychologist and counsellor strategies aren't exclusive to Saban. CCG also did this with the team ... it's probably an NFL thing that has trickled down some to college from NFL coaches going to NCAA.

I'm not sure whether the flexbone was around before CPJ started doing it at GSU in the 80's. He created it when Erk Russell put him in charge of the offense and the impetus was to create an offense that could fully utilize the tools of their greatly talented QB - Tracy Ham. Again, not sure if he was the original one who decided to move the TB's of the traditional wishbone to the slot positions so that they would be passing game and running game threats. I want to say he got this from another coach whose name escapes me (seems like it was a funny name though). But, this move is what revolutionized option football because not only did the defense have to defend the option, it also had to defend the run-n-shoot as there was always the threat of 4 verticals (4 verticals is the bread-n-butter basis of the run-n-shoot) and 4 WR's who could be in the secondary immediately.

It was widely held that the two toughest offenses to defend were the wishbone option and the 4 wide run-n-shoot ... and this offense puts the two formations and philosophies together.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
The sports psychologist and counsellor strategies aren't exclusive to Saban. CCG also did this with the team ... it's probably an NFL thing that has trickled down some to college from NFL coaches going to NCAA.

I'm not sure whether the flexbone was around before CPJ started doing it at GSU in the 80's. He created it when Erk Russell put him in charge of the offense and the impetus was to create an offense that could fully utilize the tools of their greatly talented QB - Tracy Ham. Again, not sure if he was the original one who decided to move the TB's of the traditional wishbone to the slot positions so that they would be passing game and running game threats. I want to say he got this from another coach whose name escapes me (seems like it was a funny name though). But, this move is what revolutionized option football because not only did the defense have to defend the option, it also had to defend the run-n-shoot as there was always the threat of 4 verticals (4 verticals is the bread-n-butter basis of the run-n-shoot) and 4 WR's who could be in the secondary immediately.

It was widely held that the two toughest offenses to defend were the wishbone option and the 4 wide run-n-shoot ... and this offense puts the two formations and philosophies together.
Great post. Haven't thought about those two being combined. There was so much talk about run n shoot with Vad that it kind of got lost in the crosshairs that we already had it incorporated.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

Mouse Davis was the name I was trying to think of ... He's one of the run-n-shoot forefathers. Here's a smartfootball post on his offense. The formations, motions, routes, and even QB drops should look very familiar to GT fans.

http://smartfootball.com/spread/run-and-shoot-in-action-mouse-davis-passing-game-cut-ups
It still isn't quite what CPJ has done with the AB's in the slots and doing running the option with it. But, we do see these passing formations/concepts.

Does anyone know if CPJ was the original guy to do the flex formation, putting the option and run-n-shoot together? Stylee??