CPJ Recognition at Homecoming Game

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
We ran him off. Why would you hang around your ex-wife?
It was mutual... he said in a previous interview that he wasn't having much fun in the latter years and was thinking of leaving after the 2016 season but Stansbury convinced him to stay longer. When Johnson left, he left with grace and true professionalism and also left money on the table too as we didn't have to do a buyout. Class guy all around.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
When I listened to the interviews I was reminded of the famous graffiti on a wall in Sarajevo:

Come Back, Tito!
You've got to be kidding
-Tito

Seriously though I wanted Paul to be like Bill Snyder and retire in his early 70s at Tech. And he could have and Tech would have been in much better shape if he had. You doubt this? Look at Air Force this year and reflect that Pauol was every bit as good a coach as Calhoun. All the rule changes really require are bigger ABs. But the lack of support until his last seasons made the way his 2018 team was regarded the last straw, imho. That team lost it's starting BB - And Benson was a really good one - in the second game, went through three straight losses - and enormous fan upset - to pull itself up by the bootstraps and win 7 games, including the wondrous curb stomping of VT up there. They deserved unanimous fan support and got diddly. So Paul retired on a winning note. But, gosh, I wish he had stayed.

Oh, and I bet he was pleased that Dontae had such a great game and that Tech ran the ball like his teams had.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought so. Two TE set with both in the flex position. I thought, wow that set has a lot of possibilities. I wonder if we see it again?
Classy move. It got us 9 yards.

Attachments

• IMG20231029222558.jpg
    IMG20231029222558.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 116

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought so. Two TE set with both in the flex position. I thought, wow that set has a lot of possibilities. I wonder if we see it again?

Makes you wonder if CPJ and Key/Faulkner did sit down and talk X's and O's.

Our running game absolutely throttled UNC in the second half, and we ran tempo on them and made it worse. CPJ had a knack for making halftime adjustments and our RBs would start finding space that wasn't there in the 1st half. It definitely looked like a CPJ type game with over 300+ yards of rushing...with a bonus passing game of close to 300 yards.

I've said it for years. Any GT coach who wants to improve their running game (looking at you Collins) and doesn't use CPJ as a resource is just leaving money on the table. Key and CPJ seem to have a good relationship.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Makes you wonder if CPJ and Key/Faulkner did sit down and talk X's and O's.

Our running game absolutely throttled UNC in the second half, and we ran tempo on them and made it worse. CPJ had a knack for making halftime adjustments and our RBs would start finding space that wasn't there in the 1st half. It definitely looked like a CPJ type game with over 300+ yards of rushing...with a bonus passing game of close to 300 yards.

I've said it for years. Any GT coach who wants to improve their running game (looking at you Collins) and doesn't use CPJ as a resource is just leaving money on the table. Key and CPJ seem to have a good relationship.
I think they do, too. If Buster Faulkner is anything like the type of coach that I think he is, he'll be bending CPJ's ear - if he hasn't already. Can you imagine that?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if his comment on the first video linked where he said that Bobby Dodd used to be a tough place to come into and maybe it can get back to that was a subtle middle finger to TFG.

If you can have a winning record at home, and break even on the road, that's a recipe for success. Every few years, when all your talent lines up, you get a special season of 9-11+ wins.

That was pretty much CPJ's formula while he was at GT.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That video brings a tear to the eye. I just missed the last HOF HC we had. So glad to have been able to have had season seats for most of this one's tenure.

What sticks out at me is those UNC fans sitting on their hands up there behind his name. He's a freaking North Carolinian, for Pete's sake. Can't you even muster some courtesy applause, so you don't look like such a bunch of losers?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think they do, too. If Buster Faulkner is anything like the type of coach that I think he is, he'll be bending CPJ's ear - if he hasn't already. Can you imagine that?
He said in the press interview that “we live a ways away” but I would hope we could at least get him for some consulting in the offseason. You can do wonders with zoom, just need to get him some good internet in the mountains.
Dude is an obviously a genius playcaller and has a knack for countering defenses in the run game.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That video brings a tear to the eye. I just missed the last HOF HC we had. So glad to have been able to have had season seats for most of this one's tenure.

What sticks out at me is those UNC fans sitting on their hands up there behind his name. He's a freaking North Carolinian, for Pete's sake. Can't you even muster some courtesy applause, so you don't look like such a bunch of losers?

Johnson is actually a really funny story in that.
He got his undergrad at western carolina. But he got his Graduate degree at App State.

He coached at georgia southern and never lost to App state... actually he murdered them
He always wanted to schedule WCU for his beat the hell out of em game. Sure thats to give money to his alma mater but also... he never let up against them.

And of course he loved beating all the NC schools.