CPJ Recognition at Homecoming Game

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes, I know it's been announce, but thought Ken's write up was done well.

"When he made his decision to step down, Johnson remarked that history would judge his 11 seasons leading the Jackets. The first five since then have cast a favorable light on his tenure."

"Following on-field recognitions at Navy last week and Georgia Southern on Thursday – the two other schools where Johnson worked as a head coach in a 40-year coaching career, Johnson will be honored by Georgia Tech on Saturday during its game against North Carolina at Bobby Dodd Stadium. It will be the first time that Johnson has returned to the stadium where he served as head coach from 2008-18 and led the Yellow Jackets to an ACC championship, four ACC Coastal Division titles and nine bowl trips."

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, I know it's been announce, but thought Ken's write up was done well.

"When he made his decision to step down, Johnson remarked that history would judge his 11 seasons leading the Jackets. The first five since then have cast a favorable light on his tenure."

"Following on-field recognitions at Navy last week and Georgia Southern on Thursday – the two other schools where Johnson worked as a head coach in a 40-year coaching career, Johnson will be honored by Georgia Tech on Saturday during its game against North Carolina at Bobby Dodd Stadium. It will be the first time that Johnson has returned to the stadium where he served as head coach from 2008-18 and led the Yellow Jackets to an ACC championship, four ACC Coastal Division titles and nine bowl trips."

Unfortunately I won't be in attendance, but anything less than a standing ovation and rabid cheers will be criminal....

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Five years into retirement after a superior coaching career, Paul Johnson returned to Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium on Saturday at the U.S. Naval Academy.

Johnson was there to be honored for his impending induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. Waiting on the sideline with Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk as the first quarter came to a close on a windy afternoon, Johnson shared a hunch with his former boss about the Midshipmen’s opponent, Air Force.

“I told the AD, ‘When they flip (directions) and they get the wind, they’re going to throw it over Navy’s head,’” Johnson said.

On the first play of the second quarter, Air Force quarterback Zac Larrier dropped back from his 6-yard line and threw a deep ball over the Navy secondary for a 94-yard touchdown pass, the opening score in a 17-6 win for the Falcons.

“And (Gladchuk) looked at me and he goes, ‘Can we pay you to stand down here?’” Johnson said. “I’m like, ‘Nah, I’m through with that.’”

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The last few years have probably made even the strongest anti-CPJ folks appreciate what he was able to do here a little more. Glad he came back to campus for the first time, glad he got a very strong reception, and glad the team won the game in front of him. I hope all of those factors lead to him being involved with the program a little more in the future. His appearances at GT should occur waaayyyy more frequently than once every 5 years; as long as he is able to do so, obviously.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The last few years have probably made even the strongest anti-CPJ folks appreciate what he was able to do here a little more. Glad he came back to campus for the first time, glad he got a very strong reception, and glad the team won the game in front of him. I hope all of those factors lead to him being involved with the program a little more in the future. His appearances at GT should occur waaayyyy more frequently than once every 5 years; as long as he is able to do so, obviously.
Even more special to do it running the ball on the back of one of his players!