CPJ Radio Show 9/21

Declinometer

Banned
748.gif

The irony

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Usually there is an underneath route on CPJ's passing plays but for some reason the QB doesn't choose to throw it there. That may be a coaching thing, or JT not having time to check down.

I think JT's size plays into why we don't pass over the middle much. We can roll out and hit a seam route, but that's as close as we are going to get to hitting things underneath.

I would have been happy for showing any sort of short passing game Saturday if for no other reason than to open things up and hopefully give our guys some confidence with a few catches. We didn't complete a pass until the 3rd quarter.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
More missed assignments on offense in this game than in any game since 1985.

If we can lose this game 30-22 against a really good team with that many missed assignments, I feel much better about the rest of this season.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
While all of the injuries are a huge loss, I'm most broken up about the final word on Byerly tonight. For me, it was a huge loss to not have him waiting on the sidelines this weekend, despite the question of whether or not he would have even played one down. I am personally very sad not to get to see him play anymore, and hope he will continue to be a leader on the sidelines for this team.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think the main reason we don't throw short over the middle is that it is very difficult for JT to see the field in that area over the rushing linemen. He really needs to roll out to improve his vision and have open throwing lanes.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think the main reason we don't throw short over the middle is that it is very difficult for JT to see the field in that area over the rushing linemen. He really needs to roll out to improve his vision and have open throwing lanes.
Isn't JT right around 5'11"? Thats about the same height as Russell Wilson who does roll out as well but can also do some quick over the middle throws. In the NFL no less.

Mechaniik

Georgia Tech Fan

Also, since the triple option makes linebackers flow towards the line of scrimmage, short passes are the ones they find easiest to cover, as they are already relatively near the area where curls/outs are run. Meanwhile, longer passes attack the place they find it hardest to get to (that is, they are forced to change directions completely in the middle of the play, and go backwards instead of forwards).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Isn't JT right around 5'11"? Thats about the same height as Russell Wilson who does roll out as well but can also do some quick over the middle throws. In the NFL no less.

If you are not a well practiced proficient passing team the short throws over the middle are a big pic six risk. IMO it is not JeT's height limitation as much as Coach's decision where we do not pass.