CPJ Radio Interview

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually our O is built for playoff football. The option just gets better with reps and it is a ***** to prepare for in a week. For GT the more teams they let in the better.

I totally agree with this...we need it to get to 8 teams so we have a chance every 6-7 years of getting in

Scot Waldrop

Georgia Tech Fan
8 teams consisting of 5 P5 champs + 3 at large
Committee selects at large teams and determines seeding
1st round games played at the higher seed home.
Semis and finals played at bowls like this year.

In my opinion, that would be the ideal playoff format.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
8 teams consisting of 5 P5 champs + 3 at large
Committee selects at large teams and determines seeding
1st round games played at the higher seed home.
Semis and finals played at bowls like this year.

In my opinion, that would be the ideal playoff format.
Exactly. Imagine the excitement it brings to the conference races! Now, you'd be playing for a chance to win it all as opposed to an OB birth. It takes the power out of the hands of the pollsters and on to the field of battle where it belongs. Win your way into the playoff, no more drama or politics except for slots 6 - 8. That's fine with me.

Also, SoS still matters a ton because you're vying for the at large births should you not win your conference.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
If they were to play the 1st round games a week or so before New Years, how bad would that bump into finals for our guys? Any issues there?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
CPJ knows BB is not his priority problem. In fact it's a team strength. He has the numbers and talent at BB. Leggett will have had a full season plus 2 Fall practices of mesh reps. Quaide will have 4 weeks in the Spring + a game and Fall practice. Both have two early games to settle in. In addition he has Braswell with 2 years in the system plus two more very talented BB candidates to compete, and by midyear the competition will likely establish the pecking order....depth...talent....choices.

This is a way better BB situation than going into 2014 so no wonder CPJ is not worried. Lots of work and time will sort this out. Lots of work is what coaches do. You have worries when you do not have the numbers and the talent (2014 DL).
We will get the yards. Question is holding on to the ball. Will have more turn overs at BB? I thought Braswell HS highlights looked good. Did he play in the spring game last year? How did he do? Must not have been much for CJ Leggett to jump past him and Quaide to a big topic of conversation for #2.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We will get the yards. Question is holding on to the ball. Will have more turn overs at BB? I thought Braswell HS highlights looked good. Did he play in the spring game last year? How did he do? Must not have been much for CJ Leggett to jump past him and Quaide to a big topic of conversation for #2.

I believe Donavan Wilson played on both teams in the Spring as backup BB and shortly after left the team. I do not recall Braswell in the Spring game because Wilson was changing jerseys to play on both sides.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What I got from this is that Coach must be right pleased by Leggett's play in practice. That's pretty big in that he was also very pleased with Custis. Perhaps the occasional rumors here about the staff thinking Leggett is every bit as good as Custis was are true. Sure looks like it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps the occasional rumors here about the staff thinking Leggett is every bit as good as Custis was are true.
I know you can't miss what you never had, but I would like for someone to compare the backs we have now to Custis/Autry, Dwyer/Allen/Jones, and Smith/Simms. At the same time in their careers, before they became a household name.

Animal02

Banned
What I got from this is that Coach must be right pleased by Leggett's play in practice. That's pretty big in that he was also very pleased with Custis. Perhaps the occasional rumors here about the staff thinking Leggett is every bit as good as Custis was are true. Sure looks like it.

Obviously he has been good enough to come close enough to have his RS burned in the Pitt game.

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Why? Every conference except the SEC should insist on more teams to even the playing field. The deal with the committee picking 4 at large teams is a fiasco. Why not settle it on the field?
The regular season is the playoff. That's what I love about college football. Yeah it would be easier for us to get into an eight team playoff but I don't want easy. The fact that a conference gets left out makes you have to be almost perfect.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The regular season is the playoff. That's what I love about college football. Yeah it would be easier for us to get into an eight team playoff but I don't want easy. The fact that a conference gets left out makes you have to be almost perfect.
Don't get this thought process at all. The regular season is not the playoff, if it were, there wouldn't be a bloomin' playoff. In the old days a champion was crowned based on opinion. A playoff offers a semblance of legitimacy with a bracket. A four team bracket is too small, imo, and anything larger than 8 becomes way too cumbersome.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't get this thought process at all. The regular season is not the playoff, if it were, there wouldn't be a bloomin' playoff. In the old days a champion was crowned based on opinion. A playoff offers a semblance of legitimacy with a bracket. A four team bracket is too small, imo, and anything larger than 8 becomes way too cumbersome.

What SJ is saying is that every other prep, college or professional sports league, beginning at the start of the regular season, holds essentially a long round-robin plus elimination bracket "tournament" for their championship. For instance the NFL playoffs are really the 32 team "qualifying round" narrowed into 12 teams for the elimination games.

Except of course the FBS (until 2014). Until there was an official playoff for the D1 Championship you couldn't truthfully say the regular season was a playoff, but now you can, because it's basically a 120 team scramble trying to get into the 4 slots based on your "Q round" (first 12 games) results.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What SJ is saying is that every other prep, college or professional sports league, beginning at the start of the regular season, holds essentially a long round-robin plus elimination bracket "tournament" for their championship. For instance the NFL playoffs are really the 32 team "qualifying round" narrowed into 12 teams for the elimination games.

Except of course the FBS (until 2014). Until there was an official playoff for the D1 Championship you couldn't truthfully say the regular season was a playoff, but now you can, because it's basically a 120 team scramble trying to get into the 4 slots based on your "Q round" (first 12 games) results.
That makes no sense. You can't just reinvent the word "playoff" to suit whatever you want it to mean. Before college football had the recent 4 team bracket, the polls decided the champion. If the powers that be decide to create a bracket tournament among the conference champions, then and only then will what you say be true.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
So you would rather leave it to the Russian judge to decide the champion rather than decide it on the field?

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
The SEC lost with a 4 team playoff. The last thing ESPN wants is 8 teams especially if you have a champion from each of the power 5 and three at large even if all three are from the SEC.
ESPN doesn't care who the "darling" conference is. It could be the SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC, or BigXII. They'll be on whomever's scrote no matter who it is. It just happened to be the SEC and they jumped on it and have helped perpetuate it. But if it looks like its changing, they can and will change their tune in zero time flat and before a week is over people will be calling for them to curtail their bias to whomever the new darling conference is.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
ESPN doesn't care who the "darling" conference is. It could be the SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC, or BigXII. They'll be on whomever's scrote no matter who it is. It just happened to be the SEC and they jumped on it and have helped perpetuate it. But if it looks like its changing, they can and will change their tune in zero time flat and before a week is over people will be calling for them to curtail their bias to whomever the new darling conference is.
That's fine with me as long as it's decided on the field instead of the boardroom.