CPJ Radio Interview

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"Three of the teams that finished the season in the top 8 in the final polls, had not had a top 25 recruiting class in the last 8 years. So that aught to tell you all you need to know about the recruiting rankings." -CPJ

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
"Three of the teams that finished the season in the top 8 in the final polls, had not had a top 25 recruiting class in the last 8 years. So that aught to tell you all you need to know about the recruiting rankings." -CPJ

But if we're gonna buy that, how many straight national champions have had top 10 recruiting classes before winning the championship?

Is the goal to finish in the top 8 or the top 1?

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
But if we're gonna buy that, how many straight national champions have had top 10 recruiting classes before winning the championship?

Neither. The goal is to beat your rivals, win your division, win your conference, and then let the chips fall where they may. In that order.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow

I question the validity of the BCS title game given the fact that the team that was by far the best in the playoff format this year (Ohio State) would not have made it in to the title game under the old BCS format. Further, you wouldn't have a tough time arguing that TCU was better than FSU this year and might have beaten Alabama who has won the recruiting national championship for 5 years running.

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
I think that one of the highlights of this interview for me was his statement that B-Back is one of the positions that they think they plug in a True-Freshman. He's excited about Leggett but not worried about finding a back-up.

I find that interesting too. I did a cursory look at the stats, and I don't believe Johnson has ever had a true freshman b-back get a carry in his 18 years as a head coach.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I find that interesting too. I did a cursory look at the stats, and I don't believe Johnson has ever had a true freshman b-back get a carry in his 18 years as a head coach.

CPJ knows BB is not his priority problem. In fact it's a team strength. He has the numbers and talent at BB. Leggett will have had a full season plus 2 Fall practices of mesh reps. Quaide will have 4 weeks in the Spring + a game and Fall practice. Both have two early games to settle in. In addition he has Braswell with 2 years in the system plus two more very talented BB candidates to compete, and by midyear the competition will likely establish the pecking order....depth...talent....choices.

This is a way better BB situation than going into 2014 so no wonder CPJ is not worried. Lots of work and time will sort this out. Lots of work is what coaches do. You have worries when you do not have the numbers and the talent (2014 DL).

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I was surprised to hear about the plug in play approach to BB because I could swear I've heard CPJ once say the BB position was a hard one to play. Maybe he meant it in the context of its a harder position to play than it looks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I was surprised to hear about the plug in play approach to BB because I could swear I've heard CPJ once say the BB position was a hard one to play. Maybe he meant it in the context of its a harder position to play than it looks.
Maybe he wants the true frosh to come in hungry and thinking they have a shot? Telling a radio guy the opposite is counter productive.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't think CPJ was saying BB is a position that is inherent to just plug somebody in, I think his intent with the comment was that we HAVE somebody TO plug in that the staff is comfortable with. ie Leggett.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
When Dwyer left CPJ said he wasn't worried about the BB position because no matter who is there they always get their yards. Seemed pretty plug in mentality to me.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know because the SEC would get in at least two teams with the push ESPN gives them.
The SEC lost with a 4 team playoff. The last thing ESPN wants is 8 teams especially if you have a champion from each of the power 5 and three at large even if all three are from the SEC.