CPJ Press Conference

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Well he tried to shoot down all the fun we have been having speculating as to the CPJ wreaking vengeance on BVG subtext of the game. He says more was made out of it than should be and it is blown out of proportion since they have never even really spoken to each other or met. But, he did recall what the exchange of quotes had been. That BVG said he would bring GaSo into the 21st century and CPJ's response was "well, there is a record (meaning of wins and championships) so shoot for it." Meaning, show me don't tell me.

Is Newland NC somehow actually located in Missouri by the way?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think the reporter who wanted to ask about recruiting was trying to ask something interesting that CPJ never responded to because he really just used it as an occasion to share a lot of his opinions about the nature of recruiting and how he and the staff go about it. He started off real defensive thinking the premise of the reporter was that "recruiting has improved in the last couple of years" which implies that the coaches had been getting less talented kids beforehand. He doesn't want to throw any of his recruits of any class under the proverbial bus, though he didn't mind doing that without naming names to the previous coach's best class of recruits. :p

But I think the reporter was trying to say that once you have been at a place for a few years, have your system in place and can show recruits how it works there at Tech (by winning the Orange Bowl for example) then doesn't that make recruiting in terms of appealing to kids simpler, because they can see how they would fit in to the program at Tech better.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the reporter who wanted to ask about recruiting was trying to ask something interesting that CPJ never responded to because he really just used it as an occasion to share a lot of his opinions about the nature of recruiting and how he and the staff go about it. He started off real defensive thinking the premise of the reporter was that "recruiting has improved in the last couple of years" which implies that the coaches had been getting less talented kids beforehand. He doesn't want to throw any of his recruits of any class under the proverbial bus, though he didn't mind doing that without naming names to the previous coach's best class of recruits. :p

But I think the reporter was trying to say that once you have been at a place for a few years, have your system in place and can show recruits how it works there at Tech (by winning the Orange Bowl for example) then doesn't that make recruiting in terms of appealing to kids simpler, because they can see how they would fit in to the program at Tech better.

Yeah, it wasn't his best response. He also counted seniors and redshirt seniors as if they all belonged to the same recruiting class.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
There was some good points made by CPJ in it as well, but I would like to have heard him reply to the question the reporter wanted to ask instead of being so ready to defend the talent level of his recruiting classes.

He said some interesting things about watching film versus gazing at measurables, like Nike camps track. Also about the necessity of balanced recruiting so you have upper classmen with great work ethics you were able to also "coach up" versus getting studs who will be gone in 3 years. Plus he commented on handling NOT being at a place where you just pick who you want but instead having to work harder at a place like Tech.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, @ 20:30 CPJ said that he doesn't think we are as good as many people think we are. He said he saw a lot of problems in the last game. I don't think he is down selling, but more that the players have to get better.

He is definitely down playing this game as he should. The ND game is more important for public viewing than Fluke game, but if we lose either a Fluke loss will hurt a lot more.

Yeah, it wasn't his best response. He also counted seniors and redshirt seniors as if they all belonged to the same recruiting class.

CPJ was a bit defensive, and I think he was trying to answer the question and avoid so many mine fields out there. I was surprised that he named all the rSr and Sr; I be afraid I'd miss someone. Anyway, here's the depth chart distribution by year and classes:
2014 FR - 14
2013 15 total; rFr - 8 and So - 7.
2012 8 total; rSo - 5 and Jr - 3.
2011 15 total; rJr - 12 and Sr - 3.
2010 rSr - 14.

Animal02

Banned
Well he tried to shoot down all the fun we have been having speculating as to the CPJ wreaking vengeance on BVG subtext of the game. He says more was made out of it than should be and it is blown out of proportion since they have never even really spoken to each other or met. But, he did recall what the exchange of quotes had been. That BVG said he would bring GaSo into the 21st century and CPJ's response was "well, there is a record (meaning of wins and championships) so shoot for it." Meaning, show me don't tell me.

Is Newland NC somehow actually located in Missouri by the way?

Hopefully CPJ will get "medieval" on BVG.