CPJ Practice audio

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Is it just me or does he seem pretty confident this year. Don't get me wrong. I know he isn't exactly predicting wins or identifying future standouts etc.; he just seems more relaxed and positive in general this year.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Following up on WC's comments. Agree. CPJ comments basically all through camp have been much more positive than past years.

Do not really know why it has taken so many classes for the team to come together "like it seems to have" this year (Note: time will be the judge of how well). At least we are not getting the "we should be a better team this year". More players buying in to him? More of positive and ongoing staff? Other….?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am having a hard time agreeing that his comments are more positive this year. I don't think they are less positive but as I try and dredge the memory banks I tend to think that his comments are simply an honest response (even if sometimes calculated honesty) to the questions being asked and how they are asked. I think almost by default if a question is couched to CPJ in a positive manner then he will respond more negatively as in to minimize the optimism in the question.

So if asked "it looks like Vad can really throw the ball well, what do you see?" he responds that Vad still has room for improvement and Justin Thomas also has a good arm. If the question implies something more critical such as Rod's in this interview "you are young on the ends, how do they look?" which suggests the concern of inexperience then CPJ immediately tries to counter than negative impression by saying that they have some guys there "who have played some" and "they have worked hard," and we will see in a game.

So if he is asked more questions that do not assume great things from player/s then his responses will more often be hedging against pessimism.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
we are way better than the media thinks IMO. It's amazing. Most of them have us at 4th or 5th in our division.
Reading their "bold predictions" before the season starts gives me even more pleasure when we win our games. Listening to PJ call out reporters for being wrong is even better! (right dinich?)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am having a hard time agreeing that his comments are more positive this year. I don't think they are less positive but as I try and dredge the memory banks I tend to think that his comments are simply an honest response (even if sometimes calculated honesty) to the questions being asked and how they are asked. I think almost by default if a question is couched to CPJ in a positive manner then he will respond more negatively as in to minimize the optimism in the question.

So if asked "it looks like Vad can really throw the ball well, what do you see?" he responds that Vad still has room for improvement and Justin Thomas also has a good arm. If the question implies something more critical such as Rod's in this interview "you are young on the ends, how do they look?" which suggests the concern of inexperience then CPJ immediately tries to counter than negative impression by saying that they have some guys there "who have played some" and "they have worked hard," and we will see in a game.

So if he is asked more questions that do not assume great things from player/s then his responses will more often be hedging against pessimism.

Fair enough, but, rightly or wrongly, some of us are reading between the lines and what he says outside the context of the question.

My caveat: I think CPJ has a bias for O so it's hard to read his take on the D.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
Chungong has passed Freeman.

Butker one of the best in the country.

Golden and Smelter to return kicks.

Gamble had a great camp...Smelter too.

Klock likely only true Fr to play on OL.
How long before Klock starts at LT?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In prior post I was referring to CPJ's demeanor more than his exact statements. It's always a bit iffy trying to judge that kind of stuff off someone you do not know personally. And I don't. He just seems more relaxed and laid back in these interviews. Maybe it would seem less so if he were talking with shmuck and turnoff.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think Bruce Wayne nailed CPJ's approach to questions by writers. He is skeptical of any kind of spin and seeks to neutralize it quickly. The other thing I notice is his affect. Some interpret it as a smirk. I do not. It is the face of someone who is having to force himself to listen to questions that he knows 9 out of 10 times are going to be pretty elementary. He actually brightens up a little bit whenever someone asks him a hard question.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
His default position is to disagree with the premise of the question. Typically his response begins with: "oh, I don't know..." and then he rattles off a cogent, but short explanation as to why the premise of the reporter's question is erroneous without really getting into the meat of the intended subject matter. I think it's why some local media find him infuriating. I think it's funny. You can tell he doesn't care for Ken with the ajc. That being said, he has seemed less negative in his descriptions of the team's effort this year and he doesn't seem to be making it a point to temper enthusiasm about certain players as he has in the past. Whether that means we're better this year, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I have thought CPJ seemed the least patient with Ken as well and it frankly mystifies me.

I mean, I think it is just based on the way Ken asks his questions in a manner which often showed a lack of familiarity with this or that aspect of the offense (at least in the early years) or that he basically asks the same list of questions daily. Ken especially loves to ask about every single possible injury. Since CPJ is not even supposed to specify a kid's medical info unless they specifically release him to do so and he also hates being prodded to give out injury info any earlier than the conference forces him to do so I assume those are the reasons why CPJ seems so impatient with Suguira.

However . . . Ken is a really good journalist and really good for Tech. He does such a fantastic job of covering Tech athletics in a positive (yet objective) manner that I really don't understand why CPJ does not demonstrate a clear appreciation of Ken through his demeanor. I almost approached Ken to ask him about this at a scrimmage and decided it was too indelicate.

Since CPJ is so much more relaxed and personable away from a microphone (or usually on the radio show) I primarily assume that he has to kind of go into a certain "mode" when handling "on the record" press sessions and so it isn't really as personal towards Ken as it can seem.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What exactly am I grasping at? Do tell. My perception is different than yours. I'm not even saying there is a huge difference. He just seems more relaxed and laid back. Now if I were to extrapolate that to say we will be markedly better in wins based off that. Then THAT would be grasping.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What exactly am I grasping at? Do tell. My perception is different than yours. I'm not even saying there is a huge difference. He just seems more relaxed and laid back. Now if I were to extrapolate that to say we will be markedly better in wins based off that. Then THAT would be grasping.
I liked your comment because I appreciate you sharing your impressions. I would be the first to say that my impressions are only that -my impressions. CPJ is a little bit inscrutable at times. Therefore I enjoy seeing other people's take. Perhaps your insight is better than mine or that of someone else. It makes my understanding of the man richer as a result.