CPJ OWNED Pruitt

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I haven't got to watch too much of the replay (all day tomorrow is reserved for that though) but wow, after halftime Pruitt had no answer for CPJ...We moved the ball at will...Dive couldn't be stopped.

Pruitt came out firing the CBs and blitzing like hell but once CPJ adjusted Pruitt had no answer...can't wait to see the @Boomergump or @stylee take on this.

All we heard all off-season was how great Pruitt was and he is the best DC in the nation so this was a matchup that I was excited to see...thought it might be a Foster vs Johnson type of battle.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
...thought it might be a Foster vs Johnson type of battle.

My assumption has always been that Pruitt is a product of talent. It would've been surprised to see him be able to adjust to the adjustment but that's JMHO. Foster has been a good DC before they got a lot of obvious talent on D.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Time will tell, but Pruitt's ascendancy is starting to remind me of Lane Kiffin's a little: young "hotshot" whose father is well-regarded, gets a plum role in a dynasty where it's easy to look good, and then a couple of bigger roles in quick succession thereafter. He hasn't been anywhere long enough to truly judge if he's the real deal or just a shiny new toy who's managed to be in the right place at the right time.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don’t even think CPJ made too many adjustments at halftime. I feel like CPJ wanted to come out throwing quite a bit more like last year to take a quick lead and I think it probably would’ve worked if it wasn’t for some key dropped balls. He settled down some after the first 2 drives and started running our offense. To a certain extent, Smelter getting hurt may have helped initiate us to stop throwing so much.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Pruitt had no answer for Mason and Burden. I would not have either. They fired off the ball harder than I have ever seen, and they did it time and time again. Their LBs looked like a deer trying to stop a train.

Mason and Burden steam rolling + Laskey and Days hitting the hole HARD. It was almost unfair.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, JT could've put the ball in Shaq's back pocket every play and we'd have averaged 5 ypc in the second half. He was destroying people deep into the second level.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I'm doing a full write up of the play calls (leaving a more detailed examination of the offense to Boomer).

Some unbalanced line stuff in the 2nd half. Some triple, but more straight dives, as Longest stated.

Very exciting game

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t even think CPJ made too many adjustments at halftime. I feel like CPJ wanted to come out throwing quite a bit more like last year to take a quick lead and I think it probably would’ve worked if it wasn’t for some key dropped balls. He settled down some after the first 2 drives and started running our offense. To a certain extent, Smelter getting hurt may have helped initiate us to stop throwing so much.
And I believe that JeT was a little off. A little behind, a little low, just not quite on the money. I have a feeling the JeT will be more accurate this game now that he has a really big game under his belt.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I watched the replay. Our offensive line (and defensive line for that matter) took over pretty much after the first quater and DOMINATED like we used to get dominated by LSU and Iowa.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And I believe that JeT was a little off. A little behind, a little low, just not quite on the money. I have a feeling the JeT will be more accurate this game now that he has a really big game under his belt.
This is what I'm thinking. The week off might have thrown off his rhythm for the game. I expect him to come out sharp for FSU.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The irony the gameis OLineman didn't do any or very little cut blocking. We were straight drive blocking them off of the line

I think there's a reason for that, which I'm guessing you know better than I. Here's my take:

Our guards and tackles are set back from the line. The space we achieve by being set back this way allows us to fire-off and scoop/cut the thighs of opposing DL. To counter this, Georgie's DL lined up back off the line a bit, and they keep their weight back a bit as well. It's the same thing that vpi has done. If we fire off to cut, they can push our OL down and step over.

However, keeping their weight back to help them beat cut blocks makes them easier to drive block plush it gives us the extra yard from where they line up.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there's a reason for that, which I'm guessing you know better than I. Here's my take:

Our guards and tackles are set back from the line. The space we achieve by being set back this way allows us to fire-off and scoop/cut the thighs of opposing DL. To counter this, Georgie's DL lined up back off the line a bit, and they keep their weight back a bit as well. It's the same thing that vpi has done. If we fire off to cut, they can push our OL down and step over.

However, keeping their weight back to help them beat cut blocks makes them easier to drive block plush it gives us the extra yard from where they line up.
this is why I love this site - learn more football here than anywhere else. Thanks AE87. Interesting analysis.