CPJ on Coaches Leaving

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am so glad CPJ wants to do the right thing!

“I would have a hard time personally misleading guys like that. I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t let somebody working for me do it – if we knew that they weren’t going to be here (after signing day).”

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015...johnson-on-coaches-leaving-after-signing-day/
I like most of his approach but at one point he seems to get some air between head coaches and assistants. He is right about leaving for more money, and most of us have at one time or another. But it seems to me that any player recruited by any coach who knows he is leaving but fails to tell the guy should get an out, just like the coach. Sure, they say choose the school and not the coach, but that too is disingenuous. There is a reason certain coaches are assigned certain players, or the head coach comes in at the end of the process. They are selling themselves. No problem, but just acknowledge a fact.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I like most of his approach but at one point he seems to get some air between head coaches and assistants. He is right about leaving for more money, and most of us have at one time or another. But it seems to me that any player recruited by any coach who knows he is leaving but fails to tell the guy should get an out, just like the coach. Sure, they say choose the school and not the coach, but that too is disingenuous. There is a reason certain coaches are assigned certain players, or the head coach comes in at the end of the process. They are selling themselves. No problem, but just acknowledge a fact.
He was talking about two different scenarios.

With regard to head coaches he was talking about early signing periods in December and whether or not a kid should be released from their letter if the head coach leaves, adding that it would be a rare perfect storm kind of event that would not involve any deceit and in which the kid still should still have had plenty of time to know whether or not the coach was thinking about leaving.

I think he is right. If CPJ had left after last season we would have gotten some solid clues about that as early as right after the uga game.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
If folks are paying attention--really getting some of the integrity behind the statements/actions-- then over time CPJ is laying down a track record of being a man of his word.

He low-keys it. And, his *****ly personality at press conferences makes it harder to see. But, integrity drives way more of what he does than he gets credit for. Quite simply, CPJ is a "Let your yes mean yes; let your no mean no" sort of guy. I have to respect that.