CPJ is a hot head on the sidelines?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, right.

Ond guy just won his 5th National Championship, the other is coming off a 3-9 season. Might want to find someone else to compare him to.

Full disclosure, I don't mind either one for being intense on the sideline. I actually think it's a good thing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ond guy just won his 5th National Championship, the other is coming off a 3-9 season. Might want to find someone else to compare him to.

Full disclosure, I don't mind either one for being intense on the sideline. I actually think it's a good thing.
The comparison is made because CPJ takes so much heat for being a "jerk" on the sidelines and with the media. Ol' Nicky is just as bad if not worse except he gets a pass because he wins. Double standard, plain and simple. The behavior is either acceptable or it's not, winning or losing should have nothing to do with it. I'm glad you don't think this way, but many do.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The comparison is made because CPJ takes so much heat for being a "jerk" on the sidelines and with the media. Ol' Nicky is just as bad if not worse except he gets a pass because he wins. Double standard, plain and simple. The behavior is either acceptable or it's not, winning or losing should have nothing to do with it. I'm glad you don't think this way, but many do.

I think a lot of that has to do with "Atlanta" media in general. They characterize CPJ as an out of control jerk but a few years ago they defended Grantham going on a tirade at Vanderbilt.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
nd2.gif

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of that has to do with "Atlanta" media in general. They characterize CPJ as an out of control jerk but a few years ago they defended Grantham going on a tirade at Vanderbilt.

I really think it's just the talk radio guys. Hell, even Schultz likes PJ. Doesn't mean he won't be critical, but he likes him. PJ has had a pretty good rapport with the print media in the past. It's a little harder now because there's more people involved and more demands on his time, but he's always been great with the print media, especially in off the record and casual conversations.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This one still makes me laugh:

http://www.ajc.com/photo/sports/college/georgia-tech-coachs-face-and-body-language-seem-al/pCTQgs/

For the most part, I've always heard the vast majority of the guys who have played for CPJ love him. One of the things you hear about CPJ is he'll tell you exactly where you stand, and he actually looks out for each guy's best interest regardless of what they do for him on the field. Obviously sometimes the emotion of the game gets the better of him (anyone remember the "What are you...stupid?!" dressing down Phil Smith got after a false start that was heard on national TV?), but people are out their mind if they think CPJ has any disrespect for his players.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I like having a Coach who really gets into it on the sidelines. Heck, I really get into it in the stands. I really take the game seriously. Some of my friends get on me for being for over doing it. One friend gets into it as much as I do. My wife says I am a total Jekyl and Hyde at ball games, a rtotal different person than I usually am.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've never met CPJ so I have no firsthand knowledge of how he is. However I do know a gentleman who played for him at Ga Southern and can share what he and his Father told me. They were never fans but now follow GT football only because of who our coach is. They both have the utmost respect for CPJ and his coaching style.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I've never met CPJ so I have no firsthand knowledge of how he is. However I do know a gentleman who played for him at Ga Southern and can share what he and his Father told me. They were never fans but now follow GT football only because of who our coach is. They both have the utmost respect for CPJ and his coaching style.

Says a LOT!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One of the things you hear about CPJ is he'll tell you exactly where you stand, and he actually looks out for each guy's best interest regardless of what they do for him on the field.
I think this is the true measure of a coach's respect and treatment of his players, rather than sideline emotional blowouts that happen to almost all coaches from time to time. I also think this is the key thing that separates CPJ and dudes like Nick.

Nick thinks it's aok to "process" guys who don't pan out. He used to think not making the 2-deep after a year in the program was a medical condition worthy of a medical scholarship (removes kid from the 85 roster but still allows Alabama to pay for their schooling.) The only reason he doesn't do that anymore is the NCAA came down on the practice.

Les Miles is on a complete other level of scumbag. He once cut a guy by sending him a letter in the summer saying you no longer have a scholly at LSU, have a nice day.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
When watching a game and one of our players goofs up it really bad.... It relieves me to see CPJ chewing them out.

I can't do it in my living room or even from the stands. It is nice to see CPJ do it for me.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

I know a guy that played at Navy that is the same way. Became a GT fan as soon as CPJ was hired.

He said : "He will do anything for you and will cut up with everyone off the field. But as soon as you step across the white line onto the field...everything changes. It's all about betting better in order to win. You want to impress him."

That's how I remember my coaches in HS, so I am not bothered at all.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
All the joking aside one of the main reasons I've turned down any help with the football team at the schools I've worked at is because I don't like/can't get behind the constant barrage of curse words slung at HS football players.

In my book no HS coach should ever be cursing at a student. It doesn't matter where it is.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
All the joking aside one of the main reasons I've turned down any help with the football team at the schools I've worked at is because I don't like/can't get behind the constant barrage of curse words slung at HS football players.

In my book no HS coach should ever be cursing at a student. It doesn't matter where it is.
Now, this requires a definition. I think one could make the argument that coaches should not swear, even in mild terms -- Swinney's idea of cursing is the occasional damn or hell, but not directed at a player. But a HS coach should be a role model, agreed. At the same time, if those are the only two words today's high schoolers know, they have been in a cave for 18 years, and I can't get exercised.