CPJ gets big payday due to high APR

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
No because APR is a joke metric.
I wouldn't say that it is a joke metric, but the scale is certainly is contrived to make even the bad programs look "good", to a casual observer. APR creates a 1000-point scale that places even the lousy teams well above 900. Last year, only 2 out of 250 teams scored below 900—Morgan State at 893 and Alabama A&M at 891. "My gosh—a 891 out of 1000? Why, that's a B-plus!"

If you're going to give everyone scores in the 900-1000 range, why not instead skip the 900 points of padding and call it 0-100? Pointing out that a team scored 30 out of 100 is a more accurate depiction of poor academic compliance than to say they scored 930 out of 1000.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
APR has problems because it encourages schools to keep kids eligible instead of challenging them. If you reward teams for not flunking their athletes out, then schools aren't going to flunk kids out if they can help it. Clemson puts kids into PRTM major (parks and tourism aka "Party Right Through May"). APR works if the football/basketball team doesn't have influence over the academic side of things, but we've seen how far a school like UNC will go to have athletes stay afloat academically.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say that it is a joke metric, but the scale is certainly is contrived to make even the bad programs look "good", to a casual observer. APR creates a 1000-point scale that places even the lousy teams well above 900. Last year, only 2 out of 250 teams scored below 900—Morgan State at 893 and Alabama A&M at 891. "My gosh—a 891 out of 1000? Why, that's a B-plus!"

If you're going to give everyone scores in the 900-1000 range, why not instead skip the 900 points of padding and call it 0-100? Pointing out that a team scored 30 out of 100 is a more accurate depiction of poor academic compliance than to say they scored 930 out of 1000.
It is Lake Woebegon and all the kids are average. (One problem I have is paying a bonus for a good score. I thought that was what the coaching salary is for, though how a coach can improve that score baffles me.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's beating dead horses -- I sure wouldn't beat a live one, having once long ago been kicked by a very ornery beast, luckily a glancing blow -- But this is another example of the coaches profiting off the players' efforts. Give them the money. They did it. But mainly I'm just down on the whole bonus idea. (The equivalent of "exceeded expectations." Huh? Did what they were hired to do and bosses admit they didn't expect that?)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
APR has problems because it encourages schools to keep kids eligible instead of challenging them. If you reward teams for not flunking their athletes out, then schools aren't going to flunk kids out if they can help it. Clemson puts kids into PRTM major (parks and tourism aka "Party Right Through May"). APR works if the football/basketball team doesn't have influence over the academic side of things, but we've seen how far a school like UNC will go to have athletes stay afloat academically.
And those who graduate with a degree in parks and tourism really do become outstanding tourists so the major really imparts value.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Based on ibeeballins post in another thread on this topic this is a super dumb metric. All the tutors and assistants should get this bonus. They’re doing the work.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I agree but you do have to find players who are willing to learn and play football.
Really? Are you saying that the character of the players we recruit has an impact has an impact on how well they do academically? ;) The tutors and assistants should certainly get credit where it is due and how much/whether a coach should be paid for their performance debated, but there is no doubt in my mind that the character of the person impacts the performance.
The level of self discipline a person has greatly impacts their performance in all areas of their life and is something I value. It is a major reason I love Tech.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So... The point of this bouns in my humble opinion, is to remind and encourage the coaching staff that academics should be a focus and is a measurable and reviewed metric.

Do I think there are better ways to measure academic progress and the job that schools are doing to prepare their SAs for life beyond? Sure.
Do I think Coaches / Schools should be focused on ACADEMICS as the primary mission of their existence? Sure, but they don't.

I am proud of the fact that GT continues to have a set of SAs who come to GT for the education (and for the most part get their degrees). I know that not every 18 year old kid is thinking about it that way, so having a metric that is tracked enables the schools to have these conversations with the coaches, who have the conversations with the support staff and players. It isn't a perfect system, but I am glad to see GT taking it seriously and have zero problem with the coaching staff getting incentivized.

LibertyTurns

Banned
They need to make them takes tests every year at their respective grade levels. No pass, no play.

There should be minimums for English, Science (Biology, Chemistry, etc), Math (Algebra, Geometry, etc) and general topics like Economics, etc.

The fact that there’s colleges out there that teach you how to mow and edge a lawn, put fliers up on Rec Center boards, learn how to put a condom on and reject your male privilege are great for those that need it but these are not college courses and referring to them as such is misleading.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Great news for CPJ. Well deserved, and I would hope he gets more than that for beating ugag on the field.

To answer, partially, your question, it was the gosh forsaken off season before the 2016 season, if I remember correctly. I decided to find, as best as possible, the academic majors of the ACC teams we were to play the upcoming season. Did not attempt any SEC teams, so no idea about bama.

For CU as best as I could find -

Business - 8 players
Recreation / Parks - 7
Graphic design communication (if I read it correctly) - 4
Justice - 2
Sociology - 6
Sports Communication - 8. (Have always been curious if this is some type of major GT could get involved
My daughter was interested in the sports communication program because that’s what she wants to do for a career. She went to camp at Clemson and was advised that she probably couldn’t get into the program. It is limited to 30 students per year, almost all football or basketball players. It has nothing to do with journalism or any other type of reporting. It’s a degree in how to use social media. In other words, a four-year degree to learn how to tweet.