CPJ behind the scenes

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm certainly no insider but I think this is how CPJ usually rolls. Probably less so when players aren't working hard but I think our guys do work hard for him. Last year, and hopefully this year, they seemed to enjoy working hard for him. A good sign of leadership.

I feel lucky to be a Tech fan with this crew. What is not to like? Certainly an easy bunch to pull for. Love this team. Go Jackets!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Yep, once the talent level is equal, then the coaching, motivation, and the scheming kicks in. When we get equal or better talent than the top 20 programs, better look out!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He really seems like the type of coach that if you are on his good side then things are really fun, but man don't get stuck in his dog house.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I truly don't believe there is a better coach in the nation than Paul Johnson!!!! Even in his worst seasons Tech has been to a bowl! Look whats happened in his best years! And with NO notes on the side line! And here at a VERY difficult environment! No, not even Saban!
I think it is true that he will use maybe just a half dozen plays in a game, with a couple or three in his pocket just in case, though it is unclear whether the triple option is one or three plays, and if to the other side, is that two or six plays, stuff like that. But what opposing coaches respect is his ability to change blocking schemes and assignments on the fly, so that skating linebackers and cheating safeties are gonna get burned and quick. it's a talent that among other things requires a field of vision most of us don't have. We know Saban wouldn't measure up, so to speak. But as an aside, does anybody know who the spotter is on the other end of the headset with Johnson on game day? Is it the QB coach?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I've heard him described by a former player as, "Yes, he's an a-hole but he's our a-hole."
One time I ran into a former Navy player (OL) in San Diego. I asked him "is Johnson really as much of a jerk as he seems?"

He paused, considered for a moment and said ".......he's a great coach". And then smiled.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hard to argue with anything you guys have said. Except to add that you are only seeing a couple of facets of his personality. He can tell stories for hours. Literally. And, he's far funnier than you would think. Generous and way more integrity than folks hear about.

I admit my bias. No saint--but a far better guy than his media interaction shows.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hard to argue with anything you guys have said. Except to add that you are only seeing a couple of facets of his personality. He can tell stories for hours. Literally. And, he's far funnier than you would think. Generous and way more integrity than folks hear about.

I admit my bias. No saint--but a far better guy than his media interaction shows.
No matter how hard one tries somebody is always taking our happiness.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it is true that he will use maybe just a half dozen plays in a game, with a couple or three in his pocket just in case, though it is unclear whether the triple option is one or three plays, and if to the other side, is that two or six plays, stuff like that. But what opposing coaches respect is his ability to change blocking schemes and assignments on the fly, so that skating linebackers and cheating safeties are gonna get burned and quick. it's a talent that among other things requires a field of vision most of us don't have. We know Saban wouldn't measure up, so to speak. But as an aside, does anybody know who the spotter is on the other end of the headset with Johnson on game day? Is it the QB coach?
I haven't asked him, but should. I have assumed that his spotter is Bryan Cook.