CPJ at ESPN ACC Car Wash Today

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Once again I have to point out that when an interviewer asks reasonable questions, CPJ is a very good interview.
When it's his aim to promote the program, he's very good at it. I'd say about 75% of the time he is charming, witty and charismatic with the press. At certain times, however, he is less inclined to go out of his way to play that part. After practice is one of those times. When he's attacked by local radio numbskulls is another. One thing is for sure, the local media knows they better come prepared with meaningful, intelligent, non-repetitive questions or they may not like what they get for answers.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have lived in Chapel Hill since graduating (MSEE) from GT in 1974. You have to remember that the ACC is biased to North Carolina schools since there are 4 original ACC schools here. The Panthers are starting to eat a little into local TV and press coverage but for the most part, the universities are number one in the media. Lots of TV and newspaper coverage for the NC teams. They bend over backwards to promote the local college teams which is much different than the local sports coverage of Tech in Atlanta where they seem to enjoy taking shots at Tech. So they always tend to will favor and pick NC schools in the preseason. Cutcliffe seems to get along very well with the press up here which is a shift from prior years but recent success has helped that a lot. So even Duke gets the benefit of the doubt now.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
When it's his aim to promote the program, he's very good at it. I'd say about 75% of the time he is charming, witty and charismatic with the press. At certain times, however, he is less inclined to go out of his way to play that part. After practice is one of those times. When he's attacked by local radio numbskulls is another. One thing is for sure, the local media knows they better come prepared with meaningful, intelligent, non-repetitive questions or they may not like what they get for answers.

I don't think it is quite as scripted as that. If you listen to the media outside of Atlanta discuss CPJ, they pretty much say that he is brutally honest.

If he is asked how well the offensive line is doing at practice, he gives an honest assessment. If he is asked how well the offensive line is doing at practice immediately after practice and they aren't doing well, he doesn't hide his frustration. He seems to say what is on his mind whether it is good or bad.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's almost like they have been looking for every reason we're finished since 2008 and now they finally have their evidence in our 3-9 record last year. Never mind that even with all the youth and injuries we were on the knife's edge of winning 6 of our losses (only games I thought we got beat solidly were Clemson, Miami, and ND...and even that one we hung tough). That record is all they want to look at, though, so it should be a fun "redemption" season if we play up to our level.
I have high hopes for redemption. I do. But too often we respond to print or TV criticism -- and sometimes to a perceived lack of praise -- as though it is directed only in Tech's direction. We're too thin skinned. When you go 3-9, we expect what? At the end of the season we had won three games. All the excuses in the world don't change it, and those reporting on it or commenting on it are under no obligation to explain it away for us. We lost nine games last year. Period. Betcha Johnson is accepting no excuses.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I have high hopes for redemption. I do. But too often we respond to print or TV criticism -- and sometimes to a perceived lack of praise -- as though it is directed only in Tech's direction. We're too thin skinned. When you go 3-9, we expect what? At the end of the season we had won three games. All the excuses in the world don't change it, and those reporting on it or commenting on it are under no obligation to explain it away for us. We lost nine games last year. Period. Betcha Johnson is accepting no excuses.
Bro, I'm not expecting anyone to anoint us anything...I've read many previews/write-ups on us and what I described is the prevailing thought about our team. It's not a secret that many writers single us out because of our offense (as if we are the only team running a non-traditional attack...hah!) and seem to use every bad game/season as a referendum on our offense. Why do we still hear about people "figuring out" how to stop us as if it's just a matter of knowing what to do (again, why do they think we are so unique in this?)
Yeah, we had a bad year last season, but our historical results suggest we will bounce back. We just don't usually get the same benefit of the doubt as other teams about this because we run a "gimmick offense".

alagold

Helluva Engineer

"we lost 9 games last yr"-- and damn close to ten-just ask fsu

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If you want to include close, then you have to consider that we were very close to winning:
UNC
Pitt
Virginia
VT
UGA

So were were close to being 8-4.

wow, you must be a horseshoes fan if "closees" are important to you
I know they were close just not as close as the fsu game I'm sure you realize

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
wow, you must be a horseshoes fan if "closees" are important to you
I know they were close just not as close as the fsu game I'm sure you realize

I was only responding to your post that we were close to 10 losses.

BTW I do not realize that those losses were not as close as the FSU win. Just from the top of my head:

UNC - one fewer crazy mistakes by the defense at the end of the first half and we win.
Pitt - If a VERY long FG doesn't go in, we are at least in OT.
UGA - Their TD was caused by a safety being out of position.

That is three of the games that just from memory I can point to winning or going to OT with just one play.

I do not think that the close losses means that the team was much better than the record. I also do not think that the close win means that the team was much worse than the record. I do however think that looking at 6 games potentially decided by a one play swing is pretty remarkable for a team that had all of the adversity that GT had last year. I do not see a team that is off the rails and headed to constant failure, as some on here have seen even during 2014. I see a team that was able to compete extremely well even with all of the injuries and the freshman players. I see a team of players with high character and drive.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
With all the youth that was forced to play and injuries that happend and the schedule we had 3-9 isn't surprising. Hell we could've been 7-5 but even with those injuries people would've found something to ***** about. I'm starting to realize even after an 11-3 season half our fan base wants to find excuses why we went 11-3. Last year was like 2003 n hoops. The next year you know what happened. Not saying we are going to the playoffs but losing can make you better. From what I've learned in playing college sports close losses only make you want it that much more. If that happens with this group of guys then watch the f@ck out.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
With all the youth that was forced to play and injuries that happend and the schedule we had 3-9 isn't surprising. Hell we could've been 7-5 but even with those injuries people would've found something to ***** about. I'm starting to realize even after an 11-3 season half our fan base wants to find excuses why we went 11-3. Last year was like 2003 n hoops. The next year you know what happened. Not saying we are going to the playoffs but losing can make you better. From what I've learned in playing college sports close losses only make you want it that much more. If that happens with this group of guys then watch the f@ck out.
I was drunk when I typed this. Lol. Not that I still don't mean it but still.