Covid impact on student-athlete eligibility

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s awesome, but as I read it all players will be receiving extra year, Graham may be a 5 year starter correct??

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Cost or recruiting impact as 85 player limit would be impacted for 4 years, will have to limit recruiting number or increase the 85 player limit increasing cost.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, that proposal seems like a set up to canceling the season, either before or after it has started. I don't really see the justification in having a guy who plays 10 games not use up eligibility.

Agree, at minimum it’s to encourage / influence the conferences planning to play not to play

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, that proposal seems like a set up to canceling the season, either before or after it has started. I don't really see the justification in having a guy who plays 10 games not use up eligibility.

Yes, I think the ncaa is expecting the season to only last a few games if it starts. I cant see this still being the case if a full season happens.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
$$$$ if the 85 limit is increased even for one season will be a huge hurdle for most programs to swallow after the financial hit they are taking this year.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to say this benefits us more than other schools who would be losing their top talent to the NFL draft. Meanwhile we can embody Pastners “get old, stay old” mentality. In a couple years we could be playing a handful of 3-4 year starters. A small brightside to not having top tier talent (yet) I guess.

So if Seniors are allowed 1 more year, it just about kills the recruiting class of 2021. Assuming most seniors stay. There are only 85 slots.....now what?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So if Seniors are allowed 1 more year, it just about kills the recruiting class of 2021. Assuming most seniors stay. There are only 85 slots.....now what?

If the passes, it isn't even that simple. It would last for four to five years. A true freshman would still be a freshman next year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think if this were to happen, it would be like a red-shirt year for everyone. Those that have already taken their red-shirt would get another and those that didn't take a red-shirt would now take it. I think they would raise the scholarship limit by 15 for next year and then decrease the number by 5 each year until they got back to 85. They could also limit the size of each of the classes to 20 until the limit got back to 85. There are many ways to make something like this work.