Couple of observations during a GT-less Saturday

Matt E

GT Athlete
1. It makes a huge difference running the TO when the quarterback is decisive and attacks the defense. I love JT, but watching Keenan Reynolds is night and day. Reynolds has a lot more reps in the offense and I'm sure that makes a difference. Hopefully JT will be hit during spring. I wonder if no contact during spring and summer made him a little timid and caused a potential step back in aggressiveness this season?

2. Love seeing teams throw short quick passes and screens. Clemson gashed FSU today and it didn't take tremendous pass blocking when the ball was out fast. Teams rarely go nickel on us unless it's 3rd and long, so it still baffles me why we don't spread the field every so often and throw WR screens/quick routes. It's not "what we do" but the occasional shift into a different formation would really keep the defenses honest.

3. Speaking of pass blocking, it was refreshing to see offensive lines in a 2 point stance ready to pass set and block on 3 and 6+. A lot of people have called for Sewak's head, which I don't disagree with, but this issue in particular is a PJ or triple option principle problem. Has anyone every asked PJ this question during a call in show? I'd assume he would say he wants the line in 3 point stances to make it look like run? I've seen multiple teams run draws and other run plays with their OL in this position today.

3. Teams need an emotional leader on the field. I loved watching Boulware for Clemson today. We seem to be missing fire on defense this year and it was apparent to me seeing a guy like this all jacked up. Am I missing something? Davis seemed to be a firey guy last year but I haven't seen it this year. This type of player has to help especially with young players. Hopefully a player like this will develop and we will play with more fire on D next year.

4. I keep thinking that we are light in the seat on the defensive line, but there are plenty of schools with 235-245 DE on the field. The difference is most of the other teams have guys with extreme length and an explosive first step. Maybe Simmons can develop into this type of player. I keep thinking Freeman is playing DE in a linebackers body.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Our OL's pass block issues go far, far beyond their pre-snap stance. As a former mediocre HS lineman, I can tell you it is a minor difference at best.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Our OL's pass block issues go far, far beyond their pre-snap stance. As a former mediocre HS lineman, I can tell you it is a minor difference at best.

I agree, and we both know who should have been fired years ago.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
1. It makes a huge difference running the TO when the quarterback is decisive and attacks the defense. I love JT, but watching Keenan Reynolds is night and day. Reynolds has a lot more reps in the offense and I'm sure that makes a difference. Hopefully JT will be hit during spring. I wonder if no contact during spring and summer made him a little timid and caused a potential step back in aggressiveness this season?

2. Love seeing teams throw short quick passes and screens. Clemson gashed FSU today and it didn't take tremendous pass blocking when the ball was out fast. Teams rarely go nickel on us unless it's 3rd and long, so it still baffles me why we don't spread the field every so often and throw WR screens/quick routes. It's not "what we do" but the occasional shift into a different formation would really keep the defenses honest.

3. Speaking of pass blocking, it was refreshing to see offensive lines in a 2 point stance ready to pass set and block on 3 and 6+. A lot of people have called for Sewak's head, which I don't disagree with, but this issue in particular is a PJ or triple option principle problem. Has anyone every asked PJ this question during a call in show? I'd assume he would say he wants the line in 3 point stances to make it look like run? I've seen multiple teams run draws and other run plays with their OL in this position today.

3. Teams need an emotional leader on the field. I loved watching Boulware for Clemson today. We seem to be missing fire on defense this year and it was apparent to me seeing a guy like this all jacked up. Am I missing something? Davis seemed to be a firey guy last year but I haven't seen it this year. This type of player has to help especially with young players. Hopefully a player like this will develop and we will play with more fire on D next year.

4. I keep thinking that we are light in the seat on the defensive line, but there are plenty of schools with 235-245 DE on the field. The difference is most of the other teams have guys with extreme length and an explosive first step. Maybe Simmons can develop into this type of player. I keep thinking Freeman is playing DE in a linebackers body.

All good points. The lack of quick slants and shorter passes is one of the biggest pet peeves of PJ for me. Then when he is asked about it, he acts like its impossible for us to do otherwise he would be doing it, but look at the routes we have on our passing tree. It is all Straight Go routes, wheel, or deep post. He can say that all he wants, but he is too stubborn to expand the route tree for more hitches, quick slants etc.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
All good points. The lack of quick slants and shorter passes is one of the biggest pet peeves of PJ for me. Then when he is asked about it, he acts like its impossible for us to do otherwise he would be doing it, but look at the routes we have on our passing tree. It is all Straight Go routes, wheel, or deep post. He can say that all he wants, but he is too stubborn to expand the route tree for more hitches, quick slants etc.
You need to read Ibeeballin's response to this. It's in another thread. Sorry I don't remember which one.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
And then you watch these teams that have the capabilities that you mention and they line up in shotgun on 4th and 1 and struggle to make the line of scrimmage.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No, our route tree isn't all go routes, deep posts, and wheel routes. To say so makes me think you aren't even watching the plays.

As bad as our run blocking has been, our pass blocking is even worse. To say we need more passing as a fix is just wrong headed IMO. We shall just agree to disagree.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Interesting that you open with Navy's dismantling of a ranked and unbeaten Memphis team, then segue into the "why don't we pass the ball?" column. If you are a fan of TOP -- I think it is worthless unless your defense can step up, and Navy's did and ours doesn't -- that went to Navy 37-23. Plays something like 75 to 60. Navy got 372 yards rushing, about 450 yards total offense, and hung 42 points on that had been talked about as "being left out of" the final four.

Navy threw the ball five times. One was the beauty that defines GT's passing philosophy: suck the safeties up, run a switch route, and go over the top 75 yards for a TD. And the Aback caught the ball somewhere out in Idaho with his biggest problem being he might stumble on his way to the EZ. One might argue our offense this season has been dreadful, because it has been. Both real time and in comparison to years past, particularly 2014. But passing? We talking about passing? The difference in going down with the Titanic or the Hindenburg. Until this team fixes its run game, no matter what the cause of its demise, Tech is going to be ordinary at best. And if it does, and if 2016 is a "normal" year for injuries, it is going to be awesome. While running the ball.

Matt E

GT Athlete
I'm not saying we need to pass more, only that it was refreshing to see teams use the short passing game and that we could do the same. If we are going to throw 12-15 times a game, which seems to be the norm, i would think it would be good to throw it short a few of those times to get JT some confidence early but getting completions.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I know there is a correlation between us having a good effective passing attack and having an excellent overall offense. I am NOT sure which is the chicken or the egg. Obviously having an effective rushing attack makes our kind of passing game easier. It also helps to have NFL WR's like Smelter/Waller (2014) or Thomas (2009) which are the only two times we have really had effective passing attacks.

But, not having an effective passing attack sure slows us down offensively. To wit:

In 2010, we had 9 games with QBR under 115, and we went 3-6 in those games. We went 3-1 in other games.
In 2011, we had 5 games with a QBR under 115. We want 1-4 in those games. We went 7-1 in games where our QBR was over 100.
In 2012, we had 3 games with a QBR under 115. We went 0-3 in those games, and 7-4 in all other games
in 2013, we had 6 games with a QBR below 115, and went 1-5 in those games. We went 6-1 in all other games.
In 2014 we had 3 games with a QBR under 115 and we went 2-1 in those games, going 9-2 in all other games.

So, overall, we have gone 7-19 in games where our QBR was below 115, and we have gone 32-9 in games where our QBR is over 115. This season we rank #118 out of 128 teams in Raw QBR.

So, chicken or egg, passing is an important element in our success.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Passing is definitely a big part of success but when we aren't executing either running or passing, changing the passing scheme isn't likely to be any more successful. I do think making some some tweaks could be beneficial in the long run but they can't just dropped in mid season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It also helps to have NFL WR's like Smelter/Waller (2014) or Thomas (2009) which are the only two times we have really had effective passing attacks.

So, overall, we have gone 7-19 in games where our QBR was below 115, and we have gone 32-9 in games where our QBR is over 115. This season we rank #118 out of 128 teams in Raw QBR.

So, chicken or egg, passing is an important element in our success.

nice analysis. Actually, I have a second chicken and egg question aside from the pass/run issue (which is implied in your comments) - can our passing game be effective without a Waller, Smelter, DT, Calvin, Kelly Campbell type. Can it work with just typical college level receivers who will not get paid to play? Or will teams take a risk covering these type of guys one on one with CB's,freeing up more guys in run support?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I really like Clemson & UNC's offense. I don't like how there short yardage game is from the shotgun.

Defense Defense Defense. If you have one you win.

I just don't see why GT can't be a consistent powerhouse in CFB. I don't buy into the excuses given the advantages and despite the disadvantages. GT has the talent to be in the CFB Playoff conversation this year, coaching failed GT.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Regarding No. 3...I think Brant Mitchell will step into that role one day. I hope it's sooner than later though.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I really like Clemson & UNC's offense. I don't like how there short yardage game is from the shotgun.

I just don't see why GT can't be a consistent powerhouse in CFB. I don't buy into the excuses given the advantages and despite the disadvantages. GT has the talent to be in the CFB Playoff conversation this year, coaching failed GT.
Avoiding any conversation regarding the quality of coaching, your assertion GT has the talent to be in CFB playoff conversation is just pre-season babbling up again. We all had rose petal and fairy godmother thoughts in August. Fact is we have no running game, no WRs, no blocking and no defense. Throw in special teams and you start to get the picture. One might argue we should have been better -- and I wouldn't dispute that for a second -- but to suggest that much better is just pixie dust scatterings. We are what the record says.

65Jacket

GT Athlete

We had the talent before the injuries. Now we are playing a lot of people that are not ready for prime time. You will see a very much improved team next year.