Cortez Alston

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
^ Can you explain that into more detail? Just doesn't really fit LB / DE for the new scheme or?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That's too bad. I thought he had promise. But there it is. We've had a lot of players who have decided that football isn't for them anymore. I wish him good luck going forward.

I was pleased that Coach mentioned Zach Quinney in pretty much the same breath as Stickler. If Marshall can't come back, it will be very important that Stickler, Quinney, and (I sure do hope) DeFoor develop quickly.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Cortez Alston is no longer with the team confirmed by Coach Paul Johnson.

We all said that one of the people who suffers the most from the DC switch was Alston. I wish him the best.

I thought he would've been a good fit at DE in this scheme.

Deleted member 2897

I don't think the defensive scheme had anything to do with it. Based on 'not feeling it', my guess is something didn't fit with his enjoyment of school, the culture, schedule...something. If his heart is not in it, better to move now while you have the maximum runway left for whatever it is you decide. Life is too short to not be happy. I wish him better than the best!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Playing college football and studying at a high level is a grind that not everyone is built for, and sometimes they don't know it until they're in the middle of it. KQ seems to think he's done with football entirely. No hard feelings. Best to free up the scholly for someone who really wants it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Playing college football and studying at a high level is a grind that not everyone is built for, and sometimes they don't know it until they're in the middle of it. KQ seems to think he's done with football entirely. No hard feelings. Best to free up the scholly for someone who really wants it.

I have a friend that played football for a big SEC school, and later 3 years in the NFL. He hated his football experience the whole time, but he knew if he could just suck it up, he would be rewarded. Between a signing bonus and his salary and endorsements, he was able to save close to $2 million, but he wanted to hold on until he earned the pension. Unfortunately, he got injured and he couldn't get the last 2 years. To this day, he still hates football, and is happy to have nothing to do with it anymore.

Football is rough. If you don't LOVE the game, the grind of it can wear on you. Then add GT academics on top of that?