Congrats to Mark Price

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Price deserves his own thread...

With Price the HC at Charlotte, it at least gives the GT basketball community an obvious name to banter as the ultimate replacement to Gregory. I hope the GT program succeeds immediately and if Gregory can turn things around in the W/L record then great. If not, I hope Price shows signs of being able to coach/recruit in his current job and gives GT an interesting option in 2 years.

As if Gregory didn't already feel enough pressure, Price filling the gaps on his resume probably raises the bar one more small notch for Gregory in an effort to retain his job long term. If Price is successful, Gregory moving from bad to functional mediocrity will not be enough.

I really think Price as a legitimate candidate in waiting makes the entire fan experience more interesting for the next couple of years. Hoping to secure a quality mid-major coach or sifting through the retreads was not nearly as much fun as assessing whether Price has the tools to lead a program.

I consider this a good day as a GT basketball fan.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Picture is becoming clearer maybe:
a. GT would have been paying 3 coaches if CBG fired
b. GT didn't want to hire a coach without HC experience (MP) but can't afford one with experience (BH) and we're a RA team so the Adidas guy was never going to come here anyway
c. GT waits 3 years and gets rid of bad contracts so we can afford a top coach after 3 more years of "getting close to turning the corner"
d. MP has sufficient experience 3 yrs and has demonstrated his ability to turn a program around
e. On or about 3/19/18 GT announces MP as new GT HC following ACCT so as not to irritate the little girls
f. GT basketball fans come out of hibernation & rejoice
g. GT becomes relevant in basketball again

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Couple of observations:

Charlotte (14-18) only lost to GT by 1 point--in Atlanta. They fired their coach; we kept ours. What does that say about program expectations? Or maybe it's the money. Either way, it's a sad situation.

Let's say Mark Price turns a 14-18 program into a 22-10 progran in one year. It still doesn't answer the biggest question about college coaching ability, for him or anyone else, which is: can he recruit? He may eventually be GT's coach, but if he was hired after next year, it would be a huge gamble.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT didn't make a change due to money. $6M. That's what it would have cost to get rid of the 2 buyouts.

Unfortunately, not many schools have put themselves in a position where they have that big of a financial issue to overcome.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
It will be interesting to see what Mark's buyout with Charlotte will be. Could be key down the road if he does prove head coach ready...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
He will represent his alma mater better than they represent themselves in the coming years.

Best of luck Coach Price.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If, in one - two - three years, CBG got GT to the sweet 16 and the same year CMP got Charlotte to the NIT, I am 100% confident there are some here that would want to fire CBG and hire CMP.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If, in one - two - three years, CBG got GT to the sweet 16 and the same year CMP got Charlotte to the NIT, I am 100% confident there are some here that would want to fire CBG and hire CMP.
If in 1 year, we got to the Sweet 16 and had a subpar recruiting class coming in, I would absolutely recommend removing BG. We were already tricked by that once when Hewitt should've been fired after massively underperforming the Derrick Favors year.

Let's see how BG's 2016 recruiting turns out before I start pounding the table to remove him and you start pounding the table to give him another chance. We're after a lot of good kids. Kids I think can be difference makers, get a good education and stay close to home. Doesn't mean he can close if he's nearing lame duck status. Doesn't mean he can develop them in to a winning team quickly. Doesn't mean he can't do those things either.

Either way, the heat is on for more reasons than Mark Price getting head coaching experience.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Oh? Our "coach" has made 2 tournaments in 12 years. No ones worried about your crap scenario

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Setting aside this hypothetical for a moment, I want to understand you. CBG has coached about 2.5 times the ACC games as CPJ the last four years. He's won fewer. Would you agree that doubting CBG as coach is more reasonable than doubting CPJ?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If in 1 year, we got to the Sweet 16 and had a subpar recruiting class coming in, I would absolutely recommend removing BG. We were already tricked by that once when Hewitt should've been fired after massively underperforming the Derrick Favors year.

Let's see how BG's 2016 recruiting turns out before I start pounding the table to remove him and you start pounding the table to give him another chance. We're after a lot of good kids. Kids I think can be difference makers, get a good education and stay close to home. Doesn't mean he can close if he's nearing lame duck status. Doesn't mean he can develop them in to a winning team quickly. Doesn't mean he can't do those things either.

Either way, the heat is on for more reasons than Mark Price getting head coaching experience.

See, here is the thing. I have NEVER said CBG should not be fired. I would not have been surprised if he had been. I think you are a victim of our famous GT reading comprehension faults.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Setting aside this hypothetical for a moment, I want to understand you. CBG has coached about 2.5 times the ACC games as CPJ the last four years. He's won fewer. Would you agree that doubting CBG as coach is more reasonable than doubting CPJ?

It would be impossible for you to understand as I have never made a comparison between the 2.

Am courious, however. If, say, Mark was our HC right now with the same record as BG, would you have advocated 1 more year for him to stay. I have no idea how you would feel, just curious.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, you are a "crap" expert.
Sadly, being a fan boy has made you a "please sir may I have another" sheep who unquestioningly follows others right off the cliff. GT is entering the dark ages of the program. Your bias makes you delusional.

The beatings will continue until moral improves

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
See, here is the thing. I have NEVER said CBG should not be fired. I would not have been surprised if he had been. I think you are a victim of our famous GT reading comprehension faults.
Your very very farfetched scenarios that have no basis in reality imply that you're supportive of BG even now. I'm sorry that my reading comprehension failed me.

See ya!