Confessions (Vad's Hope)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think both Vad and Justin wanted a legit chance to be a DIV 1 QB and CPJ offered that. The longterm questions are two-fold:

1) If Vad and Justin have a load of success here does it make more dual threat kids easier to recruit to Tech?

2) Or the flipside. With the sexiness of the option game that automatically comes when it is now seen in the NFL and gets a team to the Superbowl will it be even harder to recruit the Vad's and Justin's because many "sexier" schools in Div1 have started adapting aspects of the option game?

Personally, I ain't skeered.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Heeled soul, just curious but what's your connection with Tech?

That is, I get the impression that you are first and foremost a UNC fan (duh!) but are also a fan of Tech either partly or seriously, as in "as long as they don't play UNC" you root for them.

Just curious. I have no problem with fans of other teams being a part of the site and sharing their insight so thanks for joining us. I like that actually.
@heeled soul is my bro-in-law. :D UNC grad and the biggest UNC fan I know. He's no fan of Tech, just doesn't hate Tech as much as Duke and NCSU. Err, I mean Dook and NCSU.

And as you may be able to guess... we've got a "friendly" GT-UNC rivalry so we've been smack talking to each other all week. :)

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to review- we won more games with Nesbitt and ok defense than with Tevin and that defense. If our defense improves we will win more games with Vad than Josh.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Just to review- we won more games with Nesbitt and ok defense than with Tevin and that defense. If our defense improves we will win more games with Vad than Josh.
Speaking of that, anyone catch this AJC article by Ken?
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-tech/2013/sep/19/luginbill-returns-tech-espn/
Speaking Thursday by phone, former Yellow Jackets quarterback Tom Luginbill sounded like he had bought stock in the Yellow Jackets.

“I thought coming into the season that this is a team that could be a potential nine-, possibly 10-win team,” he said. “It’s the best defensive football team that Paul Johnson has had. It also has the best player he’s had under center perhaps anywhere he’s been, going back to Hawaii. So I like this team overall. They’re faster on defense than they’ve been recently and I think that is noticeable on tape. I understand that they’ve played Elon, they’ve played Duke. There is as noticeable difference in overall team speed on defense, in my opinion.”

Luginbill, also ESPN’s recruiting analyst, credits recruiting and identifying the right players with the improvement in speed, along with work by the strength and conditioning staff.

However, “I think to some degree (defensive coordinator) Ted Roof has kind of come in and maybe unleashed these guys a little bit, allowed their athleticism to maybe manifest itself a little bit more.”

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
Heeled soul, just curious but what's your connection with Tech?

That is, I get the impression that you are first and foremost a UNC fan (duh!) but are also a fan of Tech either partly or seriously, as in "as long as they don't play UNC" you root for them.

Just curious. I have no problem with fans of other teams being a part of the site and sharing their insight so thanks for joining us. I like that actually.

no problem. thanks for the welcome. i like the UNC fan base but you guys seems to carry a much more intelligent/insightful football conversation, x's and o's, etc.

and looks like john has outed me.

despite GT's recent success against UNC, tech has been my 2nd fav ACC team since john got there. i always enjoyed watching jarret jack and nesbitt (godhigh is quickly becoming a fav, too). i actually quite enjoy atlanta and like to visit a few times a year, so that helps, too.

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
I think both Vad and Justin wanted a legit chance to be a DIV 1 QB and CPJ offered that. The longterm questions are two-fold:

1) If Vad and Justin have a load of success here does it make more dual threat kids easier to recruit to Tech?

2) Or the flipside. With the sexiness of the option game that automatically comes when it is now seen in the NFL and gets a team to the Superbowl will it be even harder to recruit the Vad's and Justin's because many "sexier" schools in Div1 have started adapting aspects of the option game?

Personally, I ain't skeered.

don't you know that once the opposing defenses figure out the secret sauce to beating PJ, GT is done for? ;)

in order to make it easier to consistently bring in the top dual threat recruits, either vad or justin need to get drafted by an nfl team as their QB. other schools are already adopting varying degrees of option (e.g., UNC went from butch's pro-style to the fed spread) almost as a necessity. but only a handful of schools would be able to showcase the true versatility of a QB like PJ can.