Conference reputation?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I heard for years that if you put Vanderbilt or Kentucky in the ACC Coastal they'd make it to the ACCCG every year, winning it a lot of times.

I heard quite often that if Oklahoma and Texas(back when TX was good) wouldn't even be able to make it to a bowl game if they were in the SEC. Well two of the medium Big12 teams did join the SEC. A&M hasn't had any issues. MISS has missed bowl games 3 of 5 years, but made it to the SEC championship game the other two. I would have to conclude that if OK or TX(from the mid 2000s) were in the SEC, they would be just as big a power there as in the Big12.

SEC fans love to talk trash, then they ignore what happens on the field.

I heard quite often that if Oklahoma and Texas(back when TX was good) wouldn't even be able to make it to a bowl game if they were in the SEC. Well two of the medium Big12 teams did join the SEC. A&M hasn't had any issues. MISS has missed bowl games 3 of 5 years, but made it to the SEC championship game the other two. I would have to conclude that if OK or TX(from the mid 2000s) were in the SEC, they would be just as big a power there as in the Big12.

SEC fans love to talk trash, then they ignore what happens on the field.
You should have said Mizzou, or something like that, instead of MISS. My first thought was Ole Miss, and I couldn't figure out your logic. LOL

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys, step back from the ledge. Everything we've said has been proven true. The SEC recruiting rankings are nothing but "sound and fury signifying nothing". They supposedly get the top players, and then get their asses beat by the ACC. That's probably going to keep on happening. Let them have the mental midgets and trouble makers that win the preseason battles. We get players we can be proud of and beat their asses.

Think of it this way. Clemson had to fight for their lives against Louisville, FSU, NC State, Pittsburgh, and VT. Roughly a third of the ACC. They destroyed TOSU, and scored 21 on Bama in the 4th qtr. They spotted the Tide two turnovers and a busted coverage cheap TD and still beat the unbeatable. The ACC has taken everything away from the SEC. Pity them and nothing more.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is the best team in college football.
5 ACC teams played the best team in college football to 1 score margins. 1 of those went to OT, another one actually beat them.
Enough said.

Flea said it best. GT lost to the eventual National Champion. Another loss was to a team that beat the NC. The two other losses were to teams that beat that team.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just look at final rankings and the first projections for rankings for next year.

In last 5 years ACC played in the championship 3 times and won 2, SEC played 4 times and won 2, Big X played and won 1 and Pac 10 played and lost 1 and then ND played and lost 1. Only the SEC and ACC had two different teams make it to the championship game from the conference. But this doesn't really matter for conference prestige because the underlying fundamentals are static.

Basically, the SEC hype has rarely been rational or realistic, it has always been primarily predicated on economic motives which reflect a simple social reality about the status of college football in the deep south. Therefore, it has no reason to abate while the underlying motivations remain static. Look at how tOSU keeps being given undeserved chances to play for the title to see how the industry operates even beyond the deep south to select locales. This limited expansiveness is due to the industry thriving on, depending on, and therefore focusing on huge public state schools, plus one historic private/confessional, and independent, school because it has a large national following that coalesces culturally in an analogous manner to the local and social cohesion around the big state schools. This is why others perceive Clemson and FSU as "not really ACC schools." The success of these two ACC schools does have a positive impact on Tech . . . it awards them more money when the conference divvies up bowl earnings. Beyond that it matters very little.
What he said...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OMG. He says that Saban couldn't get it done without Kirby. I guess he doesn't realize that that Kirby's D at Bama last year was shredded for 500+ yards, whereas former mutt DC Jeremy Pruitt's D at Bama was only burned for 400 yards. The Bama offense and ST's won the game last year, NOT the Bama defense, which actually seems overall to be better under Pruitt than it was under Kirby. Uncle Lou is a typical mutt FOOL, and, based on his closing remarks about Watson, he's a racist too.
JFC. I have no clue who this rodeo clown was or is, but you're right: the man is an out and out racist, and besides which, he apparently never heard Watson speak. Or knows he got his undergraduate degree in three years. Obviously he doesn't care. Now, put down three minutes of Watson speaking vs. three minutes of this spewing, and the first thing you realize is that one of them is grammatically illiterate. It's not Watson. I can be persuaded about guns. But microphones have to be licensed.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The ACC has most always put their share of athletes in the NFL.
I think a lot of times conference strength is determined by conference QB talent ... and the ACC is losing a lot for next year.
We are at the top of the mountain right now, the big thing will be to sustain it !

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
Clemson is the best team in college football.
5 ACC teams played the best team in college football to 1 score margins. 1 of those went to OT, another one actually beat them.
Enough said.

Flea said it best. GT lost to the eventual National Champion. Another loss was to a team that beat the NC. The two other losses were to teams that beat that team.

That can be said for a lot of teams every year. It's happened in the SEC for years and it's happening in the ACC now (due to conference play). GT isn't unique and I don't think losing to the NC or teams that beat the NC should make us feel any better about losing.

Not related to your post @dressedcheeseside, but I think we (GT alum/fans) give way too much attention to the SEC. Reading all these posts, we just sound like haters. I get it, the SEC is the team everyone loves to hate but we should put more attention in our own team and conference. We shouldn't have to put the SEC down to raise the ACC to the top. As many coaches say, let's just play our best game and not worry about the other guys.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That can be said for a lot of teams every year. It's happened in the SEC for years and it's happening in the ACC now (due to conference play). GT isn't unique and I don't think losing to the NC or teams that beat the NC should make us feel any better about losing.

Not related to your post @dressedcheeseside, but I think we (GT alum/fans) give way too much attention to the SEC. Reading all these posts, we just sound like haters. I get it, the SEC is the team everyone loves to hate but we should put more attention in our own team and conference. We shouldn't have to put the SEC down to raise the ACC to the top. As many coaches say, let's just play our best game and not worry about the other guys.
I think you missed the point. The scoring margins between Clemson and many of its ACC brothers indicates the high quality of the league.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think you missed the point. The scoring margins between Clemson and many of its ACC brothers indicates the high quality of the league.
Really an excellent point. Clemson ran the gauntlet with some close games in league play, for which they were penalized in the rankings as "just squeezing through". But looking at that schedule, Louisville, NC State, FSU, Pittsburgh and VT were tough cookies and helped compile that overwhelming OOC and vs. SEC record. Looking at it now it makes me wonder if that's why they didn't blink when down two scores to Alabama, and then inexplicably losing the lead with just two minutes left. Maybe at the time only Swinney and Johnson knew how tough the ACC had become top to bottom.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
"The ACC is always solid. I personally like to consider it one of the few conferences filled with SAs actually TRYING to obtain a LEGITIMATE degree from a TOP-TIER institution."

I think this is what it is all about.

The SEC is one of the most fun, most exciting experiences in college ball. Like many, I grew up with it and game day was and is, food ... tailgating ... booze ... 100K stadiums ... marching bands ... etc. I mean, it's a great tradition. The ACC is fun, but it is a different experience. For me anyway. Still, I buy Tech season tickets and enjoy it.

But sadly, many of the kids who go to these schools will get NO education. I read an analysis of UGA's program and I think 23 or so of the kids were academically derelict. Tutors complain that they have no ability to do college level work. The SEC is worse. No school, other than UGA (which the State requires) will report incoming test scores. They are unified to keep those numbers from the public. So, they use football to increase awareness and drive everything else that is good for the school ... donations to the capital fund, applications volume, etc.

I would love to see the ACC brand itself as well as the SEC has, but do it differently. "We will test your football ability but you will also get an education that you can be proud of ..."

I think that's a winner for a lot of the 99% of kids that will never set foot on an NFL field. The money has to be somewhat on recruiting, but much, much more on player development - academics and athletes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"The ACC is always solid. I personally like to consider it one of the few conferences filled with SAs actually TRYING to obtain a LEGITIMATE degree from a TOP-TIER institution."

I think this is what it is all about.

The SEC is one of the most fun, most exciting experiences in college ball. Like many, I grew up with it and game day was and is, food ... tailgating ... booze ... 100K stadiums ... marching bands ... etc. I mean, it's a great tradition. The ACC is fun, but it is a different experience. For me anyway. Still, I buy Tech season tickets and enjoy it.

But sadly, many of the kids who go to these schools will get NO education. I read an analysis of UGA's program and I think 23 or so of the kids were academically derelict. Tutors complain that they have no ability to do college level work. The SEC is worse. No school, other than UGA (which the State requires) will report incoming test scores. They are unified to keep those numbers from the public. So, they use football to increase awareness and drive everything else that is good for the school ... donations to the capital fund, applications volume, etc.

I would love to see the ACC brand itself as well as the SEC has, but do it differently. "We will test your football ability but you will also get an education that you can be proud of ..."

I think that's a winner for a lot of the 99% of kids that will never set foot on an NFL field. The money has to be somewhat on recruiting, but much, much more on player development - academics and athletes.
The ACC has it's share of SEC-like factories with poor academic standards and worthless majors. Unfortunately, it's the better teams that are like this. FSU, Clemson, Louisville, Miami.... UNCheat is, well... UNCheat. NC State..... VT..... Some of these are good schools. Good if you're an actual student... not so much if you're a football player. If you're a football player they park you in parks and rec or housing majors so you can concentrate on football.

At least we're better than the SEC who has Vandy. UF is a darn good school, but what do the players take? Who would know, they don't even list their majors in the bios. Are they even students?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The ACC may have factory schools, and Clemson is close. But the average attendance is what, 50K?

I remember my first game at Neyland. Holy cow.

For most schools, it's a negative. I hate to read stories of former greats who are now janitors.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The ACC may have factory schools, and Clemson is close. But the average attendance is what, 50K?

I remember my first game at Neyland. Holy cow.

For most schools, it's a negative. I hate to read stories of former greats who are now janitors.
The injustice of how the system uses these kids gets swept under the rug. I don't know why. You'd think some hot shot young fresh new journalism grad would love to blow the doors off with a great big FU expose. I guess on the other hand you might say would these kids be any better off w/o the factories snapping them up after hs. At least they'd have their health, maybe....