Conference Realignment

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Strategically, you can shape the environment to your liking or you can take it head on. The ACC has no chance, zero, of taking on B1G and the SEC.

It's inevitable that the NCAA is going to lose - it doesn't take action fast enough and has built a patchwork collection of rules that are under enormous pressure.

I am increasingly of the opinion that the ACC should let the B1G and SEC do their thing and dominate (for the time being) CFB. And, also ... rename the ACC the "National Association of College Athletics" and invite ALL remaining non-B1G and non-SEC schools to join. Hire a Commissioner for each sport, build a professional media operation. In other words, outmaneuver them. A "NACA" could create its own Premier League operation and simply layout out its own calendar for determining a champion. Auction off media rights (the way the NFL does) and form a new distribution model unencumbered by legacy conference affiliations.

It's long past due. But as long as the ACC tries to operate by existing structures, they will lose. They don't have enough firepower to do so, so ... rethink how the game is organized. A NACA could form tomorrow with the ACC, Mountain, Sunbelt and others who want to be part of a national structure. As it is, the new B1G-SEC is to be left to donate seats to who they see fit. Form your own structure and challenge it.

Sometimes, you have to be a renegade to do the conservative thing.
This is a great post. However, the ACC has NEVER been proactive about anything except ensuring the right officials are scheduled for UNC and Coach K games. If the ACC would have had any proactive ideas in the past 30 years we wouldn’t be a relegated conference today. Then ACC leaders won’t do a thing except ensure they have jobs in the P-2 when this thing ends. Phillips has done absolutely nothing for this conference. I had little expectations when he was hired and he has underperformed those.

You guys will see when we get 1 invite to the playoffs next season and then they vote to do away with auto bids and we get none in 2025. You think the gap is big now, just wait. As you posted above, the ACC should expand and go their own way. But they won’t because everyone wants to rub elbows with the power brokers. Phillips is probably cleaning Sankey’s pool today getting it ready for the spring.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is a great post. However, the ACC has NEVER been proactive about anything except ensuring the right officials are scheduled for UNC and Coach K games. If the ACC would have had any proactive ideas in the past 30 years we wouldn’t be a relegated conference today. Then ACC leaders won’t do a thing except ensure they have jobs in the P-2 when this thing ends. Phillips has done absolutely nothing for this conference. I had little expectations when he was hired and he has underperformed those.

You guys will see when we get 1 invite to the playoffs next season and then they vote to do away with auto bids and we get none in 2025. You think the gap is big now, just wait. As you posted above, the ACC should expand and go their own way. But they won’t because everyone wants to rub elbows with the power brokers. Phillips is probably cleaning Sankey’s pool today getting it ready for the spring.
The problem with waiting is that as media rights go down in value (in reverse proportion to the rise of the B1G-SEC), the entire athletics departments at current ACC schools will be jeopardized. The reality is ... if you don't fight back, you will be forced to drop back ... either to the Sunbelt or ... FCS. Or even worse.

Gotta do something. Doing nothing isn't much of an option.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hope we don't go back to quarters. I lost credits going to semesters and I ain't going back. (TIC alert)
It took me a long time to get used to semesters, in part, because I resented that semesters “stole my credits.” I also had to learn to run distance rather than sprints.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
This I agree with.
I would be very surprised if anyone outside of UNC, FSU, UVA, Miami, ND and POSSIBLY GT or Clem land in one of the P2. Several of those may only get partial shares as well. A couple of schools may throw themselves at the feet of the P2, but I don’t think any other than the ones above move the needle.

ND probably still holds out, and I can’t see either P2 conf taking more than two teams (especially if ND isn’t one of them)…so when the dust settles, I still think you’ve got 12-13 team full ACC members, plus ND.

I don’t see the B12 throwing out full shares to anyone left, so the next ACC deal would have to be a real stinker for any others to make that jump.
I could see VT and NC ST being desirable to SEC, that is new money (new territory) maybe even more so than Clemson. SEC doesn't gain any money by taking Clemson, they're already represented in that state and area. I'm convinced Miami, GT, UNC end up in Big 10. I'm not as sold on UVA in BIG as some, Big 10 already has DC, Baltimore, Northern VA with MD, think UVA could go either way. ND ends up in Big, they have just been made AAU members and the research dollars are so much bigger with AAU schools that are in the Big 10 they'll not be able to resist. The Big money draw to the Big 10 is the research money that comes with being AAU in the Big 10, much more money then being independent AAU it seems. Utah is AAU and they stated that it was the research money that they were going to miss out on that was the killer in them not being invited to the Big 10. I'm convinced it is the reason GT Pres made the commitment to GTFB that he made. Big requires their schools to have successful athletic programs as well as being AAU according to the Pres of Ohio State and others.

The Big question still remains what is the catalyst that triggers the end of the ACC, I believe it's coming and I believe it will come because of media dollars, just don't know what or how it happens. Does U FL leave and go to the Big 10 as a for instance? They're already AAU and joining the Big 10 will increase their income substantially through research grants coming because there seems to be much bigger $ if you're AAU inside the Big 10? Don't have any idea if that might happen, just throw it out there as a for instance. Higher learning institutions will be looking to survive as we move forward and bigger research grants in hundreds of millions (?) will not be turned down IMO. FL moving to Big 10 sends ESPN into panic IMO, no state of FL schools, do they end their ACC deal, (2027?) to take FSU and maybe UCF into SEC for a presence in state of FL. I throw this out more as something like this that happens that triggers the whole thing than it is something that is actually going to happen because I don't know that it is. TX and OU to SEC and SC and UCLA to BIG were surprises to me. I just believe something is going to happen that triggers the whole thing and it all comes down like the Pac 12. For some of the schools in the ACC it is not going to be pretty or fun, never is if you're left out. Without question IMO behind the scenes there have been "goings on" toward this consolidation and realignment even though we don't see much, moves are being worked on, conversations are being had. I would not be surprised if something happens between now labor day, We'll see.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
These are the Nielsen ratings for the top 32 college football teams (2 million or more viewers per game):

1. Alabama 7.12 (SEC)
  2. Ohio State 6.05 (Big Ten)
  3. Colorado 6.00 (Pac-12)
  4. Georgia 5.90 (SEC)
  5. Michigan 5.61 (Big Ten)
  6. Tennessee 4.57 (SEC)
  7. Oregon 4.43 (Pac-12)
  8. Texas 4.26 (Big 12)
  9. Florida State 4.16 (ACC)
  10. Notre Dame 4.15 (Independent)
  11. Washington 4.14 (Pac-12)
  12. LSU 3.79 (SEC)
  13. USC 3.77 (Pac-12)
  14. Penn State 3.66 (Big Ten)
  15. Auburn 3.55 (SEC)
  16. Missouri 3.25 (SEC)
  17. Florida 3.17 (SEC)
  18. Ole Miss 2.93 (SEC)
  19. Clemson 2.90 (ACC)
  20. Texas A&M 2.74 (SEC)
  21. Iowa 2.68 (Big Ten)
  22. Miami 2.65 (ACC)
  23. Duke 2.639 (ACC)
  24. Nebraska 2.637 (Big Ten)
  25. Utah 2.616 (Pac-12)
  26. Oklahoma 2.6153 (Big 12)
  27. Navy 2.6152 (AAC)
  28. Oregon State 2.44 (Pac-12)
  29. Louisville 2.37 (ACC)
  30. Washington State 2.15 (Pac-12)
  31. Kentucky 2.07 (SEC)
  32. Mississippi State 2.01 (SEC)
Conference championship games are included, but not the CFP. Where are the supposedly darlings of the B1G and SEC, UNC and UVA???

Here are the 2023 TV ratings for every P5 team:

ACC: Florida State 4.16, Clemson 2.90, Miami 2.65, Duke 2.63, Louisville 2.37, North Carolina 1.93, Georgia Tech 1.83, Boston College 1.48, Pitt 1.37, Syracuse 1.20, NC State 1.13, Virginia Tech 1.02. Others: Virginia, Wake Forest.

Big 12: Texas 4.26, Oklahoma 2.61, Oklahoma State 1.96, TCU 1.70, Kansas 1.48, West Virginia 1.45, Iowa State 1.37, BYU 1.31, Kansas State 1.30, Texas Tech 1.30, Baylor 1.09. Others: Cincinnati, Houston, UCF.

Big Ten: Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14. Others: Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue.

Pac-12: Colorado 6.00, Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77, Utah 2.61, Oregon State 2.44, Washington State 2.15, UCLA 1.67, Stanford 1.64, Arizona 1.30, Arizona State 1.20, Cal 1.08.

SEC: Alabama 7.12, Georgia 5.90, Tennessee 4.57, LSU 3.79, Auburn 3.55, Missouri 3.25, Florida 3.17, Ole Miss 2.93, Texas A&M 2.74, South Carolina 2.69, Vanderbilt 2.46, Kentucky 2.07, Mississippi State 2.01, Arkansas 1.93.

Independent: Notre Dame 4.15.

A few things to note. Arkansas is the only SEC team not in the top 32. We're in the top half of the ACC. The ACC is a lot more attractive than the B12. Stanford and Cal are not bringing many viewers to the ACC. SMU did not have enough Neilson rated games to be listed. Except for Michigan and tOSU, the B1G looks a lot like the ACC. The biggest surprise on this list is Duke. Next is Colorado.

I think in a normal good year for their team, Clemson and Miami would have higher ratings. And, if we get off to a better start in 2024 we could move above 2 million viewers.

These are only the Nielson rated games. Some of the lists you might see online show non-Nielson games as having zero viewers. These lists do not include those games.

Another curious note: Washington, USC and Miami are the only teams on the top 32 list that are located in a city with an NFL team.
There were a lot of surprises on here for me.

Washington ranking higher than LSU was one.

Georgia being this high was another but I suspect being in the run for several national championships really spiked their viewership. They used to not be rated as highly. By comparison, Penn State seems to have a lower ranking than they used to have. I can think of several reasons for that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This will have HUGE implications. FOX (B1G) and Disney/ABC/ESPN (SEC) are setting up the next chapter for in the evolution of sports programming.

I said years ago the networks and the SEC/B1G were all up to something none of us have thought of. ESPN/NFL partnership, and now this. We're nowhere close to the end of the sea change for collegiate sports.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
This will have HUGE implications. FOX (B1G) and Disney/ABC/ESPN (SEC) are setting up the next chapter for in the evolution of sports programming.

I said years ago the networks and the SEC/B1G were all up to something none of us have thought of. ESPN/NFL partnership, and now this. We're nowhere close to the end of the sea change for collegiate sports.

And whereas one might wish that such a venture might actually ease cost of programming (due to not competing against one another in agreements?) there is this within the article:

“While no price has been determined, a logical starting point could be $45 or $50 per month, according to a person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be named because the discussions around the service have been private”

That price point is neither logical nor acceptable to me. And in spite of being perfectly capable of paying .. I will not. Period. Ever.

I have been reconnecting with the joy of radio on all things sports and am enjoying it..

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And whereas one might wish that such a venture might actually ease cost of programming (due to not competing against one another in agreements?) there is this within the article:

“While no price has been determined, a logical starting point could be $45 or $50 per month, according to a person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be named because the discussions around the service have been private”

That price point is neither logical nor acceptable to me. And in spite of being perfectly capable of paying .. I will not. Period. Ever.

I have been reconnecting with the joy of radio on all things sports and am enjoying it..

If you don't care about some of channels that "bloat" cable and and Youtube TV/Hulu TV, and care more about sports, this is actually a good (and cheaper) alternative. From what I'm reading, and maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, it will also include some of the non-sports channels of FOX, ABC/Disney/NBC, and Warner Bros.

We'll see...but it looks like sports media companies are trying to go away from the "mainstream" model. The NFL and ESPN are already on record saying they will be exclusively streaming in the future. I said years ago at some point if you want to follow your team, you're going to have to subscribe to a specific service/stream. I have ZERO doubts at some point in the next 10-20 years, the only way to watch GT will be through the ACCN (if the ACC is still around), or if you want to watch Michigan/OSU/any B1G team, it will be through the B1G network...excluding big time games where you can watch on the company's main channel. Same will hold true for SEC games, and Big 12 games.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I could see VT and NC ST being desirable to SEC, that is new money (new territory) maybe even more so than Clemson. SEC doesn't gain any money by taking Clemson, they're already represented in that state and area. I'm convinced Miami, GT, UNC end up in Big 10. I'm not as sold on UVA in BIG as some, Big 10 already has DC, Baltimore, Northern VA with MD, think UVA could go either way. ND ends up in Big, they have just been made AAU members and the research dollars are so much bigger with AAU schools that are in the Big 10 they'll not be able to resist. The Big money draw to the Big 10 is the research money that comes with being AAU in the Big 10, much more money then being independent AAU it seems. Utah is AAU and they stated that it was the research money that they were going to miss out on that was the killer in them not being invited to the Big 10. I'm convinced it is the reason GT Pres made the commitment to GTFB that he made. Big requires their schools to have successful athletic programs as well as being AAU according to the Pres of Ohio State and others.

The Big question still remains what is the catalyst that triggers the end of the ACC, I believe it's coming and I believe it will come because of media dollars, just don't know what or how it happens. Does U FL leave and go to the Big 10 as a for instance? They're already AAU and joining the Big 10 will increase their income substantially through research grants coming because there seems to be much bigger $ if you're AAU inside the Big 10? Don't have any idea if that might happen, just throw it out there as a for instance. Higher learning institutions will be looking to survive as we move forward and bigger research grants in hundreds of millions (?) will not be turned down IMO. FL moving to Big 10 sends ESPN into panic IMO, no state of FL schools, do they end their ACC deal, (2027?) to take FSU and maybe UCF into SEC for a presence in state of FL. I throw this out more as something like this that happens that triggers the whole thing than it is something that is actually going to happen because I don't know that it is. TX and OU to SEC and SC and UCLA to BIG were surprises to me. I just believe something is going to happen that triggers the whole thing and it all comes down like the Pac 12. For some of the schools in the ACC it is not going to be pretty or fun, never is if you're left out. Without question IMO behind the scenes there have been "goings on" toward this consolidation and realignment even though we don't see much, moves are being worked on, conversations are being had. I would not be surprised if something happens between now labor day, We'll see.
Yeah, folks haven’t thought about the current schools that could be booted from the P2. There are a lot of ways this could go. If I’m a Mich St, Vandy, Missouri, Miss St, Ole Miss types I’d be just as concerned as the GT’s. No one is safe and as we get to a more NFL type model you’ll see movement from rural areas to population centers.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The problem with waiting is that as media rights go down in value (in reverse proportion to the rise of the B1G-SEC), the entire athletics departments at current ACC schools will be jeopardized. The reality is ... if you don't fight back, you will be forced to drop back ... either to the Sunbelt or ... FCS. Or even worse.

Gotta do something. Doing nothing isn't much of an option.
Problem is those in power today in the ACC will ensure they get jobs so there is no need for them to act. You think Phillips won’t get a job back in the BIG? You dont think every AD, including JBatt, won’t get jobs in the P2. The only ones who will be left are the fans because the future ACC 4 stars will go P2. We’ll be a 3 star conference with empty stadiums. Of course, that’s not much of a change outside Clemson and FSU.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
If you don't care about some of channels that "bloat" cable and and Youtube TV/Hulu TV, and care more about sports, this is actually a good (and cheaper) alternative. From what I'm reading, and maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, it will also include some of the non-sports channels of FOX, ABC/Disney/NBC, and Warner Bros.

We'll see...but it looks like sports media companies are trying to go away from the "mainstream" model. The NFL and ESPN are already on record saying they will be exclusively streaming in the future. I said years ago at some point if you want to follow your team, you're going to have to subscribe to a specific service/stream. I have ZERO doubts at some point in the next 10-20 years, the only way to watch GT will be through the ACCN (if the ACC is still around), or if you want to watch Michigan/OSU/any B1G team, it will be through the B1G network...excluding big time games where you can watch on the company's main channel. Same will hold true for SEC games, and Big 12 games.
Yeah, I hear you Nd I understand the savings theory of subscriptions— this has been the argument for 15+ years against traditional cable.

The reality is that for most this model isn’t cheaper — I do not believe most people are so singularly focused. And even in my own “downsizing” I find myself inundated with so many subscriptions such that I’m paying more than I ever would have imagined.

But at this price point they are banking that the populace is so addicted that it will find a way to pay — and let’s face it .. we the people are all bearing the brunt of financing that which who would have imagined a decade ago the unmitigated explosion of expenditures, salaries and excess.

So, obviously it’s a personal choice to pay or not .. in this new realm, however, I will carry the flag of I will not pay. I also recognize it could be a long and lonely crusade 😉

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I really enjoy all the comments concerning the state of affairs concerning the ACC and GT.

As a counter move to the B1G and SEC Advisory Committee, would there be any merit for the ACC to work with the Big 12 and form our own Advisory Committee? At least we would look like we are making an effort to decide our own future rather than being left out of the decision-making process for the future of CFB.

Perhaps we could reduce the current perception that we have no voice in the process.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I don’t think it will be as cataclysmic as you do, but I sure hope you’re right about GT landing in the BIG!

I just don’t know if media dollars can drive very many more additions to those conferences. Maybe we haven’t reached the ceiling yet but these moves have to be extraordinarily lucrative to avoid being dilutive. Two “feels” like the limit to me but…. As you say, not many of us saw the moves coming before they were made.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Strategically, you can shape the environment to your liking or you can take it head on. The ACC has no chance, zero, of taking on B1G and the SEC.

It's inevitable that the NCAA is going to lose - it doesn't take action fast enough and has built a patchwork collection of rules that are under enormous pressure.

I am increasingly of the opinion that the ACC should let the B1G and SEC do their thing and dominate (for the time being) CFB. And, also ... rename the ACC the "National Association of College Athletics" and invite ALL remaining non-B1G and non-SEC schools to join. Hire a Commissioner for each sport, build a professional media operation. In other words, outmaneuver them. A "NACA" could create its own Premier League operation and simply layout out its own calendar for determining a champion. Auction off media rights (the way the NFL does) and form a new distribution model unencumbered by legacy conference affiliations.

It's long past due. But as long as the ACC tries to operate by existing structures, they will lose. They don't have enough firepower to do so, so ... rethink how the game is organized. A NACA could form tomorrow with the ACC, Mountain, Sunbelt and others who want to be part of a national structure. As it is, the new B1G-SEC is to be left to donate seats to who they see fit. Form your own structure and challenge it.

Sometimes, you have to be a renegade to do the conservative thing.
I actually had the same thought the other day, but I would go one step further. Have NACA teams only schedule other NACA teams. B1G and SEC want to have their cake and eat it to which consists of playing easy schedules and then using that to claim all the revenue of the playoffs. Let's take back a big part of the cake.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, folks haven’t thought about the current schools that could be booted from the P2. There are a lot of ways this could go. If I’m a Mich St, Vandy, Missouri, Miss St, Ole Miss types I’d be just as concerned as the GT’s. No one is safe and as we get to a more NFL type model you’ll see movement from rural areas to population centers.
Could it even include schools like AL, Auburn, maybe not immediately but in a few years, they're rural schools in rural mkts? I definitely think Miss St., Ole Miss, Ark., maybe KY, UT knox., Neb. I see schools like Kansas possibly making it, that's Kansas City, a good sports metro area it seems.
At the core of what I'm saying is the research money, that is my main point, that money is enormous compared to what the sports money is and that only comes with joining the Big 10. I more and more think this is what is driving GT, UNC, Miami. The sports is necessary because the Big 10 says it's necessary along with AAU. For a while now I've thought the research money potential is what made GT Pres make the commitment to GT sports, he has to in order to get to the research money that he really wants.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Could it even include schools like AL, Auburn, maybe not immediately but in a few years, they're rural schools in rural mkts? I definitely think Miss St., Ole Miss, Ark., maybe KY, UT knox., Neb. I see schools like Kansas possibly making it, that's Kansas City, a good sports metro area it seems.
At the core of what I'm saying is the research money, that is my main point, that money is enormous compared to what the sports money is and that only comes with joining the Big 10. I more and more think this is what is driving GT, UNC, Miami. The sports is necessary because the Big 10 says it's necessary along with AAU. For a while now I've thought the research money potential is what made GT Pres make the commitment to GT sports, he has to in order to get to the research money that he really wants.
Not sure I follow your thinking. Every school you mentioned is in the Top 30 highest in average viewers per week. Why would you drop them? That’s the whole point of conference realignment.

As to research money, Tech is 17th nationally and No 1 in non medical research. How far higher than No 1 can you go (unless you open a medical school)?

Tech does not need athletics to ensure a growing research business. In fact, I think the only reason Tech tolerates athletics today is to avoid having to deal with the massive debt that the AA has. If the State of GA offered to absorb that, I think Tech would happily exit athletics altogether.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
But who knows what the SEC/B1G next contract "full share" will look like? It may actually be near the same or maybe less? There's a lot changing in college football that could affect viewership.
100% Agree. check out the new Premier League TV contract. it's a record deal because they are looking at 4 years versus 3 years, but the money per year is less. I don't know if we've reached the limit in college sports, but there is a limit somewhere.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
100% Agree. check out the new Premier League TV contract. it's a record deal because they are looking at 4 years versus 3 years, but the money per year is less. I don't know if we've reached the limit in college sports, but there is a limit somewhere.

Absolutely. That is why the prophets of doom may be a bit premature.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I follow your thinking. Every school you mentioned is in the Top 30 highest in average viewers per week. Why would you drop them? That’s the whole point of conference realignment.

As to research money, Tech is 17th nationally and No 1 in non medical research. How far higher than No 1 can you go (unless you open a medical school)?

Tech does not need athletics to ensure a growing research business. In fact, I think the only reason Tech tolerates athletics today is to avoid having to deal with the massive debt that the AA has. If the State of GA offered to absorb that, I think Tech would happily exit athletics altogether.
Do those teams actually have good individual viewership numbers or are they fortunate enough to play UGA and Alabama in good timeslots on major networks? How do you think Missouri or Arkansas would do ratings wise if half their games were on the ACC network or CW against other teams that don't bring in many viewers?