Conference Realignment

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Understand how TV contracts are written. I just don’t see GT as being a high value school to add. Lots of athletic debt. Very poor fan support. No Regional/National relevance in the revenue sports. That could change a few years down the road.
I really don't have a feel for whether we'd be invited if the ACC blew up. However, if we were invited, as with any other P5 team), the $$ would be the maximum allowed by the contract.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My gut feeling:

It is unlikely the case will be settled in Leon County, Florida.
FSU is trying to say football should be what the ACC is all about since that is the big revenue sport.
It will be interesting to see if the ACC removes FSU as a voting member of the conference board of trustees. They could consider this legal action as notice of exit.
FSU wants this notice backdated to allow them to exit this summer.
If the B1G or SEC is open to FSU joining they are being very quiet about it.
I cannot see FSU getting a better deal with the B12 than they have currently in the ACC.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta is. That's the goal of the BIG. TV Eyeballs in the south.
There would be at the most 4 or 5 B1G games in Atlanta /year. Could easily be games where the teams playing in Atlanta are Rutgers, was/Ore, USC/UCLA nad pick one Indiana, Perdue or Minn. That won’t generate the eyeballs.

Atlanta college football fans watch OSU/Mich already.

Heck GT fans, and there aren’t many don’t watch GT in person.

The current cable charges for carrying conferences networks, as previously explained by ESPNJ, make it reasonable under current deals for Atlanta to add value. There is no telling how TV contracts will play out in 6-7 years when the SEC and B1G contracts expire.

Would the SEC gain value for having a team in Chicago? Not likely. There is a lot of conjecture that GT would be a big get. I could be wrong but that seems way overly optimistic. I hope none of this becomes an issue. We ard a good fit in the ACC

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

I’m not convinced a North Carolina jurisdiction would help the ACC as much as they think it will. IF UNC and NCState think the GOR can be broken, the courts in Carolina may go along with FSU. Let’s not forget that UNC and NCState were part of the so-called “Magnificent 7”.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m not convinced a North Carolina jurisdiction would help the ACC as much as they think it will. IF UNC and NCState think the GOR can be broken, the courts in Carolina may go along with FSU. Let’s not forget that UNC and NCState were part of the so-called “Magnificent 7”.
UNC & NCSU were founding members of the ACC. I agree with you that both schools were pushing for more revenue. But, I doubt very many of their fans/donors want out of the ACC.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's what I've been saying. Has little to do with our sport ratings. BIG added Rutgers for same TV eyeball reasons.
Atlanta is a big town, but if the size of the media market were all that mattered, Georgia State would be hopeful of entering the B1G.
It does matter, no doubt. But the size of our fan base and the success of our program (inextricably linked, of course) matter, too. Improve both and Tech enhances its prospect of getting in.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
We all know there’s eventually only really going to be two conferences: The Fox Conference and the ESPN conference. At the end of the day, the SEC will the the basis for the ESPN conference and the Big 10 will be the basis for the Fox conference. How this all breaks apart between now and then, I don’t care. The ACC is going to break apart. Honestly, I just want to have a seat at one of the two tables, and I don’t see the SEC taking us. If Florida State goes to the Big10, I hope we can go with them.

That being said, I find myself in a position I never thought I’d find myself in: cheering for U[sic]GA in a bowl game. I hope F$U gets demolished 100-0.
Hell no, never will cheer ugag. Hope Free shoes wins. That said free shoes can **** off. Hope they lose every game next year.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My gut feeling:

It is unlikely the case will be settled in Leon County, Florida.
FSU is trying to say football should be what the ACC is all about since that is the big revenue sport.
It will be interesting to see if the ACC removes FSU as a voting member of the conference board of trustees. They could consider this legal action as notice of exit.
FSU wants this notice backdated to allow them to exit this summer.
If the B1G or SEC is open to FSU joining they are being very quiet about it.
I cannot see FSU getting a better deal with the B12 than they have currently in the ACC.
If they want to be exited from the conference this past summer, then their argument to get in the playoffs is even more dumb because they wouldn't have won a conference championship. Congrats to Louisville, the 2023 ACC Champions!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I need some of you knowledgeable and levelheaded folks to talk me off the ledge. I’m starting to think FSU’s sentiments about the ACC are correct. The playoff snub never would have happened if FSU had been in either the B1G or the SEC. Every team in our conference is shortchanged by the bungling of the Tobacco Road gang and any team wanting national respect has a steeper hill to climb in this conference.

I was in the stands when Tech deliberately threw a game against Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl. It was not pretty but it got the desired result. I believe FSU is going to do the same thing this year. They are so angry at this point they want to ruin the ACC, ruin the playoff committee, and the reputation of the Orange Bowl.

I’m torn between hoping the ACC can start acting like a grown up conference and hoping that it will just blow up so that teams like Tech no longer have to carry the stigma. Yes, FSU is acting like an arrogant p———— but I’m not so sure they aren’t right. It’s not their fault they didn’t get in the playoffs. It’s the fault of the albatross around their neck and around the neck of every other team in this conference.

Someone please tell me I’m wrong and that the ACC will soon have as much respect as the B1G or the SEC.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
I need some of you knowledgeable and levelheaded folks to talk me off the ledge. I’m starting to think FSU’s sentiments about the ACC are correct. The playoff snub never would have happened if FSU had been in either the B1G or the SEC. Every team in our conference is shortchanged by the bungling of the Tobacco Road gang and any team wanting national respect has a steeper hill to climb in this conference.

I was in the stands when Tech deliberately threw a game against Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl. It was not pretty but it got the desired result. I believe FSU is going to do the same thing this year. They are so angry at this point they want to ruin the ACC, ruin the playoff committee, and the reputation of the Orange Bowl.

I’m torn between hoping the ACC can start acting like a grown up conference and hoping that it will just blow up so that teams like Tech no longer have to carry the stigma. Yes, FSU is acting like an arrogant p———— but I’m not so sure they aren’t right. It’s not their fault they didn’t get in the playoffs. It’s the fault of the albatross around their neck and around the neck of every other team in this conference.

Someone please tell me I’m wrong and that the ACC will soon have as much respect as the B1G or the SEC.

Tbh, I've lost interest in all the drama.

Whatever happens (and most likely it will be at least 4-5 years before all the lawsuits are settled or tried), Tech will wind up in a much better spot than we were in from '67 till the early 80s. No conference home, poor crowds except when we played an SEC opponent, apathy, and no reason for hope. It won't be that bad again.
The fact that we left the SEC shows how stupid our leadership was in the past. No excuses. Heck we were a founding member.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
We all know there’s eventually only really going to be two conferences: The Fox Conference and the ESPN conference. At the end of the day, the SEC will the the basis for the ESPN conference and the Big 10 will be the basis for the Fox conference. How this all breaks apart between now and then, I don’t care. The ACC is going to break apart. Honestly, I just want to have a seat at one of the two tables, and I don’t see the SEC taking us. If Florida State goes to the Big10, I hope we can go with them.

That being said, I find myself in a position I never thought I’d find myself in: cheering for U[sic]GA in a bowl game. I hope F$U gets demolished 100-0.
I'ma have a hard time rooting for UGA. Ever.

As for the realignment, if the B1G accepts FSU, then I've lost all respect for that conference. I've been holding out the notion that it's the last bastion of athletic AND academic excellence. So, unless I'm completely wrong in my assessment of FSU as a university, then if the B1G admits the Noles, that goes out the window.