Conference Realignment

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What are the chances FSU goes through with this , and no conference wants them . Would they then be in a similar boat is Notre Dame ?
Probably zero. If they make this risky of a move then they probably already have an SEC or Big 10 invite secured in private.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another fun thought:

No one has seen the GOR document, so no one really knows what the terms are - correct? So we're all basing a lot on speculation here. As I understand it, the idea is that to leave the ACC, FSU will owe a $120m exit fee, plus whatever the 12 years of media rights are worth per the Grant of Rights (estimated at $40-45/yr based on ACC payouts).

Fun thing - FSU has spent the past year talking about how much more they're worth than the average ACC team.

So in negotiations, the ACC can simply agree with them (and maybe already has, by conceding to allow uneven revenue distribution). The ACC can say the TV rights for FSU are actually worth $75M/year, and make a strong argument that that's what they should get.

I'm in no way a lawyer, and I'm sure someone can shoot that down, but hey, fun to think about. Again, we know based on their past actions that FSU is playing checkers. I sure as hope the ACC is playing chess.

The ACC should agree FSU is worth $75M a year and use that as the basis for damage if they leave. ( tic)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
One would assume they wouldn’t start the process unless they had an unofficial official landing spot, but … 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sometimes, it is an intentional plan.......

thelma and louise GIF

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a fake account, but if they don't already have a pre-arranged landing spot in their back pocket, then the planned legal action is an incredibly dumb move IMO....

slugboy

Staff member
It's a fake account, but if they don't already have a pre-arranged landing spot in their back pocket, then the planned legal action is an incredibly dumb move IMO....

“Florida Man” is a meme for a reason.

A good chef has all their ingredients prepared before cooking. A good mechanic has their tools and parts ready. We will see with FSU. They’ve had time to prepare—did they?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
We will see with FSU. They’ve had time to prepare—did they?
One would think, but then this entire spectacle has a hint of the bizarre. The "Florida Man" analogy is apt. Ever since they screwed up the Bowden/Fisher transition, F$U seems to trip over their own feet a lot.
It will be entertaining - popcorn at the ready....

slugboy

Staff member
One would think, but then this entire spectacle has a hint of the bizarre. The "Florida Man" analogy is apt. Ever since they screwed up the Bowden/Fisher transition, F$U seems to trip over their own feet a lot.
It will be entertaining - popcorn at the ready....
If they’re prepared to move, I would think it’s because of planning by the B1G or SEC—not FSU.

I’d see any move by either as being more defensive.

FSU would instantly be the best football team in the B12–so a move there is lateral at best.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU referencing Maryland exit fees because that matters with today’s contract? They are claiming Maryland also only paid 60% of exit fee so they should only pay 60%.

Maryland wasn’t permanently destroying a conference like FSU plans to do with the big ten. Screw them and make them spend a gazillion dollars in legal fees. When they go to the big ten no acc is allowed to play them in any sport.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is all saber rattling by FSU. They're not going anywhere and the ACC leadership should not give them any concessions regarding disproportionate revenue sharing. 2036 is too far away to even worry about the threat of the conference imploding then. There will be so many changes to CF between now and then that I wouldn't worry about any threats regarding mass exodus in 2036. Tell FSU to shut up and sit down. They don't have any viable options and if they continue to impune the ACC they'll impose sanctions. FSU is a member institution and has an obligation to bolster the integrity of the conference.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FSU referencing Maryland exit fees because that matters with today’s contract? They are claiming Maryland also only paid 60% of exit fee so they should only pay 60%.

Maryland wasn’t permanently destroying a conference like FSU plans to do with the big ten. Screw them and make them spend a gazillion dollars in legal fees. When they go to the big ten no acc is allowed to play them in any sport.

There's a reason not too many ACC teams stepped out to defend FSU when they were left out of the playoffs.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Judging by the board of trustees meeting that just ended, they don't appear to be saber rattling. They are serious and are starting the process today.