Conference Realignment

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
IMO, IF(big if) F$U succeeds and two or three schools leave the ACC, I would not be surprised to see the ACC and Big 12 merge.
I fail to see the benefit in having one large irrelevant conference vs. two smaller irrelevant conferences. When all of this goes down, the programs and conferences not included in the P2, should come up with their own path forward. Cut off all ties to the P2, create a new division if needed, appoint a new commissioner over the entire division, create your own playoff, and negotiate TV rights as a whole, and not individual conferences. Willingly putting yourself in a spot where you can't compete, while begging for scraps from the P2 is pathetic.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the SEC's opposition to FSU membership. There are already a number of in-state/border state rivalries in the conference:

Tennessee/Vanderbilt
Alabama/Auburn
Mississippi/Mississippi St.
Texas/Texas A&M/Oklahoma
LSU/Arkansas
Oklahoma/Missouri

What's wrong with Florida/Florida State?

The ACC should trade FSU and Louisville for Vandy and a future first-round pick.

Last edited:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Any lawyers here wish to opine on the strategy of "declaratory judgement action" in this case? I'm not a lawyer, but a cursory web search leads me to believe that it doesn't do what the "legal experts" imply. I'm beginning to think that the real strategy is to wear down the ACC until it will give them what they want....

Trigger warning, lawyer answer.

It's not likely to happen. Venue will be a big issue, and contract law will require a reading of the actual contract, which FSU signed, willingly....

Their goal is more likely to continue to create press coverage hoping for an improved outcome in a buyout situation. I think the press coverage will continue, the improvement, however, will be modest.

Someone else here suggested the reality. If the rich boosters had the real money, they'd pay the buyout. They don't see the ROI of doing so, meaning the GOR is solid.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I fail to see the benefit in having one large irrelevant conference vs. two smaller irrelevant conferences. When all of this goes down, the programs and conferences not included in the P2, should come up with their own path forward. Cut off all ties to the P2, create a new division if needed, appoint a new commissioner over the entire division, create your own playoff, and negotiate TV rights as a whole, and not individual conferences. Willingly putting yourself in a spot where you can't compete, while begging for scraps from the P2 is pathetic.
A two-league system.

Kinda like the Premier League and Champions League in British Football. ⚽

That's an interesting idea.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand the SEC's opposition to FSU membership. There are already a number of in-state/border state rivalries in the conference:

Tennessee/Vanderbilt
Alabama/Auburn
Mississippi/Mississippi St.
Texas/Texas A&M/Oklahoma
LSU/Arkansas
Oklahoma/Missouri

What's wrong with Florida/Florida State?

The ACC should trade FSU and Louisville for Vandy and a future first-round pick.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the issue is that adding more schools in the SEC just dilutes payouts for existing members. Adding FSU is not going to increase the SEC's TV contract. And why do that? Oklahoma and Texas did add TV's. As usual, money rules.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Another fun thought:

No one has seen the GOR document, so no one really knows what the terms are - correct? So we're all basing a lot on speculation here. As I understand it, the idea is that to leave the ACC, FSU will owe a $120m exit fee, plus whatever the 12 years of media rights are worth per the Grant of Rights (estimated at $40-45/yr based on ACC payouts).

Fun thing - FSU has spent the past year talking about how much more they're worth than the average ACC team.

So in negotiations, the ACC can simply agree with them (and maybe already has, by conceding to allow uneven revenue distribution). The ACC can say the TV rights for FSU are actually worth $75M/year, and make a strong argument that that's what they should get.

I'm in no way a lawyer, and I'm sure someone can shoot that down, but hey, fun to think about. Again, we know based on their past actions that FSU is playing checkers. I sure as hope the ACC is playing chess.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Another fun thought:

No one has seen the GOR document, so no one really knows what the terms are - correct? So we're all basing a lot on speculation here. As I understand it, the idea is that to leave the ACC, FSU will owe a $120m exit fee, plus whatever the 12 years of media rights are worth per the Grant of Rights (estimated at $40-45/yr based on ACC payouts).

Fun thing - FSU has spent the past year talking about how much more they're worth than the average ACC team.

So in negotiations, the ACC can simply agree with them (and maybe already has, by conceding to allow uneven revenue distribution). The ACC can say the TV rights for FSU are actually worth $75M/year, and make a strong argument that that's what they should get.

I'm in no way a lawyer, and I'm sure someone can shoot that down, but hey, fun to think about. Again, we know based on their past actions that FSU is playing checkers. I sure as hope the ACC is playing chess.
I’ve yet to see the ACC play chess for as long as they have existed.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm curious - has anyone heard what they're basing this value on? Something like an analysis done by an accounting firm? To me, it just sounds like, "We think we're better than you...."

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious - has anyone heard what they're basing this value on? Something like an analysis done by an accounting firm? To me, it just sounds like, "We think we're better than you...."
Of they average in the past 10 years or so, they’re not much better. I mean, TFG beat them. Ha!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
FSU Board of Trustees meeting in the morning. Possible law suit against ACC among items on agenda.
looking to see which conference they can play in next year.

1703200125004.png

Attachments

• 1703200067172.png
    1703200067172.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 12

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
What are the chances FSU goes through with this , and no conference wants them . Would they then be in a similar boat is Notre Dame ?