Conference Realignment

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Some of us are coveting membership in the B1G in a bad way right now and regretting that we let this option slip away from us a while back.

The B1G makes sense for several reasons:

1) We have seen in the past that there are high level recruits in the south who would actually prefer to play in that conference but sometimes the cost, distance and weather holds them back. 2) Tech fits better with more academically minded institutions. 3) Tech is going to have less and less money for other sports without the cash infusion a conference like the B1G can supply. 4) If the ACC loses quality members and/or folds Tech will have few good options for growing its sports programs. 5) A lot of us know midwesterners in the south who would be more likely to support Tech if “we were in a real conference” (like my wife - Michigan) 😊 6) We would likely have more than the current one game a year that is a sell out. 7) Some of us are tired of trying to make rivalries out of schools that we find uninteresting whereas at least 7 of the teams in the B1G would almost instantly be appealing to play.

Just saying.
I’d love to be in the B1G or SEC, in that order. However, I think the transition over the past three years would’ve been even uglier if we had been.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the B1G is interested in expanding their footprint into large TV markets, the San Francisco Bay area and Atlanta are the next two in line that are not already saturated AND have an AAU member university. The interesting thing about NC is that it does not have a city close to the size of Atlanta, but has four TV markets in the top 50 (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro/HP/WS, and Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville) that have more total TV households than Atlanta.

The big advantage UNC has over GT is that the SEC does not exist in NC. While there are certainly SEC alums in NC, you almost never see a tag or bumper sticker for an SEC school. Atlanta is saturated with SEC logos. If I am the B1G and want to have a presence in the South, UNC looks like a riper target. And, UNC is the dominant school in those TV markets.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I dated someone who went to UNC and she called Chapel Hill the southern most northern city. I am not sure UNC plants the B10 flag in the south.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Someone inform me how gt has the money to afford buying its way out of the acc; and since we know we don’t have it, who would flip the bill? The new conf? I wouldn’t think they would at the numbers they would be looking at….but maybe. Seems all implausible fiscally.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Nordeast (that's how someone from the old side of Minneapolis would say it).

As for this list... "7) Some of us are tired of trying to make rivalries out of schools that we find uninteresting whereas at least 7 of the teams in the B1G would almost instantly be appealing to play..." hoping the Gophers might be on that list...:p
Forgot to mention that Minnesota is considered one of our bitterest rivalries 😊

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the B1G is interested in expanding their footprint into large TV markets, the San Francisco Bay area and Atlanta are the next two in line that are not already saturated AND have an AAU member university. The interesting thing about NC is that it does not have a city close to the size of Atlanta, but has four TV markets in the top 50 (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro/HP/WS, and Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville) that have more total TV households than Atlanta.

The big advantage UNC has over GT is that the SEC does not exist in NC. While there are certainly SEC alums in NC, you almost never see a tag or bumper sticker for an SEC school. Atlanta is saturated with SEC logos. If I am the B1G and want to have a presence in the South, UNC looks like a riper target. And, UNC is the dominant school in those TV markets.
UNC is not even close to being dominate in Greenville/Spartanburg, SC.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Forgot to mention that Minnesota is considered one of our bitterest rivalries 😊
That was funny Nordeast.

Our game against you guys was the breakout for our then Frosh RB Mo Ibrahim. He did great in 2019 and 2020, but then went down in Game 1 against tOSU last season in 2021with an Achilles injury of some sort.

Word is he is apparently fully recovered and will be our No. 1 back this last season of his eligibility. He was having his way against Ohio State...due to our O-line blocking and his running style...in that game last year till he went down.

Very excited to see if he is back to form. If yes, things will be looking good.

Back to the rivalry, it's only 1-0 at this point. Looking forward to a rematch however that comes forward, hopefully because you guys have got it better together. Again, good luck.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That was funny Nordeast.

Our game against you guys was the breakout for our then Frosh RB Mo Ibrahim. He did great in 2019 and 2020, but then went down in Game 1 against tOSU last season in 2021with an Achilles injury of some sort.

Word is he is apparently fully recovered and will be our No. 1 back this last season of his eligibility. He was having his way against Ohio State...due to our O-line blocking and his running style...in that game last year till he went down.

Very excited to see if he is back to form. If yes, things will be looking good.

Back to the rivalry, it's only 1-0 at this point. Looking forward to a rematch however that comes forward, hopefully because you guys have got it better together. Again, good luck.
Ah, you guys suck and we hate your guts.

(See, we could really build a case for B1G membership for our boys based just on our blood lust for you guys)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good article on the GoR's from a lawyer who has actually seen them. His basic take is that it will be complicated and both time consuming and money consuming to try to break one based on how they were written. Maybe the financial numbers have changed enough to make some school think it is worth it, but notice that to this point neither OK or TX have tried to get out of the B12's GoR to get to the SEC faster. If they end up not being willing to take on the B12's GoR, that would say alot about how strong they are as those are 2 deep pocketed schools.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is included Asheville and you have no idea
Good article on the GoR's from a lawyer who has actually seen them. His basic take is that it will be complicated and both time consuming and money consuming to try to break one based on how they were written. Maybe the financial numbers have changed enough to make some school think it is worth it, but notice that to this point neither OK or TX have tried to get out of the B12's GoR to get to the SEC faster. If they end up not being willing to take on the B12's GoR, that would say alot about how strong they are as those are 2 deep pocketed schools.

I agree. One of my lawyer friends echoed that same opinion. It will take an action by the ACC to suspend or end the GOR. A majority of the member schools would be required.

sonngy

Georgia Tech Fan
Am I the only one that wants to stay in the ACC? I’d love for ND to fully join and then the ACC grabs Stanford, Washington, and Cal(?) for a conference that’s athletic and academic in nature. I’ve read that whatever school that leaves the ACC will need to pay $100-150 million plus so I doubt any school will willingly do that unless it’s heavily subsidized by the new conference.