Conference Realignment

Ponte vedra GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I know a few Auburn fans that remember Tech as one of their biggest games. They used to have a parade when they played us. They called it the "Wreck Tech Pajama Parade" or something like that. And we were still playing them yearly when I was at Tech. And Bama has Tech mentioned in their fight song.

I'm not suggesting we have to go back to the SEC. Even if we wanted to, they wouldn't allow us back in. But we were a big friggin' deal back in the day when we were in that conference, and even beyond. Personally, I'd like to rekindle the Auburn rivalry as a game that's played much more often. It was a great rivalry, and we held our own. Shoot, when we played them in '03 and '05, Chan whipped Tubby twice by an aggregate of 40-17.
Shame ESPN does not merge ACC with SEC .
Add Notre Dame , then FOX would be cut out of southeast .
Make Greg S. Commissioner of new Southern league .
Then you could get some good games .
Auburn - GT.
UGA - Clemson.
Bama - GT

Heck Bama has beat those yellow jackets in the fight song .

GT- Auburn one of the oldest rivalry’s in the south and we have played twice in 30 years .

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
Shame ESPN does not merge ACC with SEC .
Add Notre Dame , then FOX would be cut out of southeast .
Make Greg S. Commissioner of new Southern league .
Then you could get some good games .
Auburn - GT.
UGA - Clemson.
Bama - GT

Heck Bama has beat those yellow jackets in the fight song .

GT- Auburn one of the oldest rivalry’s in the south and we have played twice in 30 years .
And beat Auburn both times.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great article! Agree with all of it.

The way the NCAA is dumping 60% of the legal settlement liability on the smaller conferences is crazy.
"Alabama should have to eat its own rotting meal, not shove it down Seton Hall’s throat."
I agree with it as well. I mentioned a week or two ago that I hated the proposed settlement as it basically threw college basketball and smaller school conferences under the bus.
When 90% of the settlement money for athletes is expected to go to former P5 student athletes, it would seem reasonable that the P5 schools should pay the vast majority of the settlement. But that is not how it is setup.

I also liked this idea
Here’s a perfect example: Speaking of Saban, Congress could pass a bill stipulating that athletic revenue must go to the direct benefit of athletes “in an amount that is equal to or greater than the aggregated compensation and benefits to coaches and staff.”

Basically, if a school pays a coaching staff $10M, it has to pay at least that much to the athletes.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I also liked this idea
Here’s a perfect example: Speaking of Saban, Congress could pass a bill stipulating that athletic revenue must go to the direct benefit of athletes “in an amount that is equal to or greater than the aggregated compensation and benefits to coaches and staff.”

Basically, if a school pays a coaching staff $10M, it has to pay at least that much to the athletes.
Too many ways around that. If a rich school wants to pay the athletes more to get the top athletes, they just pay the coaches more and the players more. It doesn't even anything out. Also, if a school doesn't want to pay the players, then the coaches contracts are written up so that the school doesn't pay the coaches very much. HC gets $1 million per year from the athletic department. Then he gets $11 million per year from media, event, supplemental money. Far too often, people try to make rules like the one you proposed, and they don't do what they were intended to do.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Too many ways around that. If a rich school wants to pay the athletes more to get the top athletes, they just pay the coaches more and the players more. It doesn't even anything out. Also, if a school doesn't want to pay the players, then the coaches contracts are written up so that the school doesn't pay the coaches very much. HC gets $1 million per year from the athletic department. Then he gets $11 million per year from media, event, supplemental money. Far too often, people try to make rules like the one you proposed, and they don't do what they were intended to do.
Schools that win too much for too many years, have a reduced number of scholarships for an extended period.
Kind of a draft
Also a throttle on nil/ portal.

Designed to lops off the uga, osu, ala types.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Schools that win too much for too many years, have a reduced number of scholarships for an extended period.
Kind of a draft
Also a throttle on nil/ portal.

Designed to lops off the uga, osu, ala types.
If the NIL money gets big, then the scholarship money won't matter that much. You can't restrict NIL that doesn't come directly from the athletic department. There are state laws that restrict limitations on athletes' abilities to make NIL money. (Although not very much of the money being paid by the collectives have anything to do with actual NIL.) If NIL is forced to be actual NIL, then the factory schools will just get car dealers and such to provide large advertisement contracts to the top athletes. It will be like whack-a-mole.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If the NIL money gets big, then the scholarship money won't matter that much. You can't restrict NIL that doesn't come directly from the athletic department. There are state laws that restrict limitations on athletes' abilities to make NIL money. (Although not very much of the money being paid by the collectives have anything to do with actual NIL.) If NIL is forced to be actual NIL, then the factory schools will just get car dealers and such to provide large advertisement contracts to the top athletes. It will be like whack-a-mole.
At UT they have 5 or 6 Lambroghini parked in front of Athletic office. Taking your example (no wkack a mole) they will pay the most and get great player

(By way , state law in fla allows for pay hs players but texas still says no. (

If top perpetual top winning teams have fewer players they have less of a chance of winning - meaning all that nil money IS LESS CERTIAN TO PRODUCE THE CURRENT RESULT.
Money flees uncertanty

Getting college presidents to regulate themselves is probably a better reason this limit will never happen

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
At UT they have 5 or 6 Lambroghini parked in front of Athletic office. Taking your example (no wkack a mole) they will pay the most and get great player

(By way , state law in fla allows for pay hs players but texas still says no. (

If top perpetual top winning teams have fewer players they have less of a chance of winning - meaning all that nil money IS LESS CERTIAN TO PRODUCE THE CURRENT RESULT.
Money flees uncertanty

Getting college presidents to regulate themselves is probably a better reason this limit will never happen
GA allows high school NIL. I'm sure Texas will change the law soon. GA did it because a couple of high profile recruits that the mutts wanted made plans to transfer to Arkansas and California during high school to get NIL. The mutts saw that as a competitive disadvantage and had the regulations changed so high school players in Georgia can get NIL also. As soon as Texas and TA&M have in state recruits that they want leave to get close to a school in another state that allows high school NIL, they will lobby to have it changed in Texas also.

I think that with where things are, there will have to either be federal legislation, or a collective bargaining agreement with a players union. I don't see any other way to put any limits on it. If the NCAA tries to limit how much can be paid, or how many can be paid, they will be sued immediately. College presidents can't do it. The NCAA is nothing but a collection of colleges. Any action taken by any collection of colleges is going to bring about a lawsuit. I don't have much belief that the federal legislature is going to do anything. If they do attempt something, it will probably have the opposite effect of what it is intended to do. I think it likely that the only way to achieve any level of stability is with a collective bargaining agreement. Not happy about that, but I think that is where things are.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
GA allows high school NIL. I'm sure Texas will change the law soon. GA did it because a couple of high profile recruits that the mutts wanted made plans to transfer to Arkansas and California during high school to get NIL. The mutts saw that as a competitive disadvantage and had the regulations changed so high school players in Georgia can get NIL also. As soon as Texas and TA&M have in state recruits that they want leave to get close to a school in another state that allows high school NIL, they will lobby to have it changed in Texas also.

I think that with where things are, there will have to either be federal legislation, or a collective bargaining agreement with a players union. I don't see any other way to put any limits on it. If the NCAA tries to limit how much can be paid, or how many can be paid, they will be sued immediately. College presidents can't do it. The NCAA is nothing but a collection of colleges. Any action taken by any collection of colleges is going to bring about a lawsuit. I don't have much belief that the federal legislature is going to do anything. If they do attempt something, it will probably have the opposite effect of what it is intended to do. I think it likely that the only way to achieve any level of stability is with a collective bargaining agreement. Not happy about that, but I think that is where things are.
I agree. Now that the SCOTUS and other courts have weighed in, it will have to go to Congress to grant some type of limited antitrust exemption for college programs. However, MLB is the only one that I know of to enjoy that exemption and every time the CBA is renegotiated there are stronger and stronger calls to eliminate it. Not sure how much longer even that one can hold up.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

The Big 12 looking to sell the naming rights to its conference. They are also working with Private Equity firms on potential revenue streams. They are being very aggressive in generating new revenue streams. Hopefully the ACC has something in the works as well.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

The Big 12 looking to sell the naming rights to its conference. They are also working with Private Equity firms on potential revenue streams. They are being very aggressive in generating new revenue streams. Hopefully the ACC has something in the works as well.
Maybe the ACC should make an offer to the B12. Something like “The ACCs Little Brother Conference,” dba LBC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Competitive convergence. An advantage available to everyone is ultimately an advantage to no one. It simply raises the bar (again).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

What good does a private equity investment do? It appears that they would get a one time infusion of cash for a reduction of ownership and reduction in future payouts of 20-30%. I understand wanting cash now, but it is overall still much less than the revenue of the big 2 conferences. Some money now, loss of autonomy, significant loss of future revenue.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Competitive convergence. An advantage available to everyone is ultimately an advantage to no one. It simply raises the bar (again).
This assumes that the SEC and B1G would go the same route, which I tend to doubt. The ACC however, probably needs to consider something along these lines.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

I hope we don’t. I’m so sick of ads and sponsorships creeping into every element of life possible. “Oh but it’s a huge financial advantage!” Yeah, until everyone else follows suit, then no one has an advantage. That’s how you go from stadiums with corporate names, to ads on the playing fields, to ads on uniforms, to renaming the whole team after some corporation.

Soon, every team, in every league, at every level will look and sound like a NASCAR team. “Really great game out there today by the Coke Zero Yellow Jackets, provided by Home Depot. Microsoft’s Georgia Tech team really took it to the UNC Pfizer at Chapel Hill Cook Out Tar Heels, sponsored by Pepsi.” “Our Capital One player of the game is Calvin ‘What’s in Your Wallet’ Johnson, who caught 3 Waste Management touchdowns.”

Ads on professional uniforms are bad enough. When state sponsored educational institutions start selling their historic brands and traditions to corporations, wtf are we even doing anymore. This ridiculous money race that only a handful of places even have a chance of winning. All it’s doing is lining the pockets of executives and administrators that couldn’t give a **** less about the schools, fans, or traditions they’re representing.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What good does a private equity investment do? It appears that they would get a one time infusion of cash for a reduction of ownership and reduction in future payouts of 20-30%. I understand wanting cash now, but it is overall still much less than the revenue of the big 2 conferences. Some money now, loss of autonomy, significant loss of future revenue.
It wouldn't be much less according to the article. It would bridge the media payouts gap considerably with the SEC and B1G. The idea is that the cash infusion would keep its members competitive which would lead to larger growth in the future. The article states a potential doubling of the media rights in 2031. If that were to happen due largely to the initial investment then it could be worth it. There is obvious risk with the private equity route but the alternative of doing nothing doesn't seem much better.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
It wouldn't be much less according to the article. It would bridge the media payouts gap considerably with the SEC and B1G. The idea is that the cash infusion would keep its members competitive which would lead to larger growth in the future. The article states a potential doubling of the media rights in 2031. If that were to happen due largely to the initial investment then it could be worth it. There is obvious risk with the private equity route but the alternative of doing nothing doesn't seem much better.
It also might keep FSU and Clemson around if their revenue substantially increased. One big difference is when the Big 12 Media Rights renew vs. ACC. Part of the rationale for the Big 12 is a potential bump in TV rights in 2031 vs. having to wait until 2036 with the ACC.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Interesting article. Apparently, Allstate is the leader in the Big 12 naming competition. See attached.

Attachments

• Allstate 12_ Big 12 in negotiations to sell naming rights (3).pdf
    685.6 KB · Views: 7