Conference Realignment

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like J Batt is making substantial progress as far as fund raising. More funds going to Football according to the article. A 30% increase in football funding.

See attached AJC article (Chad Bishop).

Attachments

• Georgia Tech athletics budget continues to rise.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 50

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
GT fans were not outnumbered at the mutt game last year, let alone overwhelmingly outnumbered. I would be disappointed if there were 10-15k opposing fans in the stands at GT games. However, my disappointment would be more with GT fans not buying tickets than with opposing fans who do. My top choice would be to fill the stands with GT fans. However, if GT fans still refuse to buy tickets, then I would rather have opposing fans pay money to the GT Athletic Association than have the seats go empty.
I personally thanked the Georgia fans last year for coming and supporting Georgia Tech Athletics.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the numbers, but apparently the B1G schools have a lot of alumni in Atlanta.

BDS could become an away game for us every week and not just when we play UGA. 😎

The reality is GT needs an infusion of new fans, and younger fans if we want our attendance to grow and program to prosper. Depending on GT grads to become lifelong GT fans and fill out BDS has not proven to be a good model for GT in recent decades. Atlanta is growing rapidly, but it's also bringing in people who don't know GT well...if at all. The best way to raise GT's profile is by playing (and beating) big name teams. The B1G provides that with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Oregon, Washington, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa, UCLA, etc. That's the model that made FSU and Miami household names in the 90's, Boise State and UCF more recently. Some of us look at playing those big name teams and are intimidated (as evidence by some us saying GT will do poorly in the B1G). In reality, GT fans should look at it as putting GT on the national stage on a weekly basis to build our brand, and bring in new fans to infuse our program with excitement. We lost a LOT of that when GT left the SEC. GT will never get there playing ACC teams, especially if the marquee ACC teams leave for the P2, and that's pretty much an inevitability at this point. We need to embrace opportunity instead of shrinking away from it...and if you read ex President Peterson's comments about why he chose to keep GT in the ACC, that's exactly what he did. He (and some major donors) shrunk away from the opportunity to put GT on a bigger stage.

I don't care if joining the B1G causes BDS to fill with B1G fans and not GT fans. That's on GT fans, and not because GT is in the B1G. GT fans can control that by showing up to games when we play at home. If BDS is packed, then that means GT is making money and has the opportunity to gain new fans. There's an inferiority complex with a lot of our fans that playing big teams means GT will play second fiddle because GT just can't compete. Guess what? Outside of the Heisman and Dodd years, GT is rarely looked at as favorites against big teams, but we've found ways to beat good teams. Look at our 1990 team that won the national championship. How many of those big games was GT favorites in? How about when Chan Gailey beat the vaunted Auburn teams and Notre Dame? How about the Paul Johnson years, specifically 2008-2009 and 2014? If GT makes smart decisions at the coaching positions, GT always has a chance. I'd rather GT play Ohio State or Michigan, with a packed BDS full of their fans, and have the chance to build our fanbase, than play North Carolina or Boston College and have a half filled BDS...which is something that happens way too often for GT in the ACC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looks like J Batt is making substantial progress as far as fund raising. More funds going to Football according to the article. A 30% increase in football funding.

If you break it down to tiers, "the elite" tier spending starts at $180 million and moves northwards (very fast).

GT is comfortably in the 3rd tier (we were in the 4th/5th tier previously), but we're almost lower end 2nd tier as well. This is putting GT "in the game" in ways we haven't been since probably in the early 2000's.

The biggest thing is GT is focusing those additional funds in our football program...which is the smart thing to do since the FB program is the engine that makes everything go in our sports program, and the FB team is what will raise our profile, and create momentum for additional revenue.

When Cabrera was looking for an AD, his #1 goal for the AD hire was to find someone who could raise funds for our programs. Batt was well known at 'Bama for doing just that, and it looks like GT and Cabrera hit the jackpot with Batt. You have to give Cabrera his due, he said he wanted GT's sports programs to be on the same level as GT's academics, and it seems he's putting money where his mouth is. GT football is on the upswing, and if you've been following our basketball team, we are recruiting at a level we haven't since Paul Hewitt in the early 2000's.

For those that think GT can't compete in the P2, I say just keep saying it...you're going to be proven very wrong pretty soon. Leadership and alignment matters. GT has very good alignment and leadership right now.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If you break it down to tiers, "the elite" tier spending starts at $180 million and moves northwards (very fast).

GT is comfortably in the 3rd tier (we were in the 4th/5th tier previously), but we're almost lower end 2nd tier as well. This is putting GT "in the game" in ways we haven't been since probably in the early 2000's.

The biggest thing is GT is focusing those additional funds in our football program...which is the smart thing to do since the FB program is the engine that makes everything go in our sports program, and the FB team is what will raise our profile, and create momentum for additional revenue.

When Cabrera was looking for an AD, his #1 goal for the AD hire was to find someone who could raise funds for our programs. Batt was well known at 'Bama for doing just that, and it looks like GT and Cabrera hit the jackpot with Batt. You have to give Cabrera his due, he said he wanted GT's sports programs to be on the same level as GT's academics, and it seems he's putting money where his mouth is. GT football is on the upswing, and if you've been following our basketball team, we are recruiting at a level we haven't since Paul Hewitt in the early 2000's.

For those that think GT can't compete in the P2, I say just keep saying it...you're going to be proven very wrong pretty soon. Leadership and alignment matters. GT has very good alignment and leadership right now.
The next hill to climb is ticket sales.
Vt beats by 8-10million & NC State beats us by about 15 million.
Sure winning is a big cure, but these 2 programs have been loyal for long time.

What we need is a way for alumni that can't come to game to be able sponsor tickets good side walk fans.

Our pool of sidewalk fans is huge and untapped. Hats, T Shirts , special section, players half time acknowledge, fun!
Swarm poster TatorTot is ideal side walk fan

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
From whence cometh this new money? Do any of you Swarmers know? If he getting long time supporters to increase their donations, great. But I hope he is getting new blood in the mix.
I think we have a new big donor down south, a place called Margrave (?).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Our pool of sidewalk fans is huge and untapped.
59% of fans prefer to watch a game at home rather than attend a live event. If you want to increase attendance, you have to deliver an experience the living room can’t match.

"In some ways, the game doesn't cater to the fan who chooses to attend the game in-person," said Chris Bevilacqua, one of the most respected sports media consultants in the industry.

Thats why you see renovations underway (more multimedia and programming options) as well as alcohol. NC State does a great job and also leads in alcohol sales by a long shot.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From whence cometh this new money? Do any of you Swarmers know? If he getting long time supporters to increase their donations, great. But I hope he is getting new blood in the mix.
According to the Knight database, the biggest difference has been in media distribution. That is more than half of the increase. The second largest increases are from donors and from "other". (in millions of dollars)

2019​
2023​
Difference
Media distribution
$30​
$55​
$25​
Competition Guarntees
$1​
$4​
$3​
Donors
$13​
$22​
$9​
Sponsorship
$8​
$6​
-$3​
Other
$16​
$25​
$9​
Student Fees
$6​
$6​
$1​
Inisttutional
$3​
$7​
$4​
Tickets
$11​
$9​
-$2​
$87​
$134​

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
59% of fans prefer to watch a game at home rather than attend a live event. If you want to increase attendance, you have to deliver an experience the living room can’t match.

"In some ways, the game doesn't cater to the fan who chooses to attend the game in-person," said Chris Bevilacqua, one of the most respected sports media consultants in the industry.

Thats why you see renovations underway (more multimedia and programming options) as well as alcohol. NC State does a great job and also leads in alcohol sales by a long shot.
Agree , we need marketing at gtaa.
Go to a ND game - all folks are friendly, they have group of alumni in green blazers that will take u on guided tour = cool spots in early pregame like where band plays or where and guys in kilts dance around. At pre game game they will take you around the stadium to show statues, bronze plaques.

Last year the tech green north ave block party with LUDICROUS ( sic ) was great. Now find way to do peters park.

I still say it would be a great "tech thing" to have an autonomus micro drone w camera streamed to jumbo tron folllow the ramblin wrek on to field.

Or we could try to be competent at. Georgia Tech conference center ( 375$/ nite) parking garage = no attendant and one guy w lost ticket has us backed up in garage for an hour.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Agree , we need marketing at gtaa.
Go to a ND game - all folks are friendly, they have group of alumni in green blazers that will take u on guided tour = cool spots in early pregame like where band plays or where and guys in kilts dance around. At pre game game they will take you around the stadium to show statues, bronze plaques.

Last year the tech green north ave block party with LUDICROUS ( sic ) was great. Now find way to do peters park.

I still say it would be a great "tech thing" to have an autonomus micro drone w camera streamed to jumbo tron folllow the ramblin wrek on to field.

Or we could try to be competent at. Georgia Tech conference center ( 375$/ nite) parking garage = no attendant and one guy w lost ticket has us backed up in garage for an hour.
What you are describing is Tech’s biggest challenge.

It’s not as easy as Alumni Fan and Sidewalk Fan. With non Alumni, you are starting with the lack of a personal connection to the team. Add to that whether it’s Gen X, Gen Y, Gen Z, Millenial and they ALL want different things.

Boomers want good seats, a great game, easy access and decent concessions. Gen Z wants pre and post game activities, mobile access, and more technology. Others want team involvement (on field pictures, interviews, etc). Others, lIke you said, want tours, history lessons, etc. Alcohol is increasingly important as is convenience.

I think I read that there are 14 different target segments for a typical game. That’s a lot. And a lot of resources to create services around.

Its doable. Others ARE doing it. My fear is the current President is into it. The next can just as easily be uninterested and it all stops. It really takes time and resources to make a difference. We’ve never really been good at either.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
What we need is a way for alumni that can't come to game to be able sponsor tickets good side walk fans.
When I or my family & friends can't make it to a game, I donate my two tix in the Letterwinners Section (with catered food & drinks, clean restrooms, & A/C or Heat) to VetTix.org

I get an email from VetTix when they're used & a statement at year's end for the donation.

Have never heard any complaints.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow

This feels like a pretty big deal. Combining the support from President Cabrera with the increased funding from Batt is looking like a recipe for success. I was excited when we nabbed him and he is not disappointing. Now we need some success on the scoreboards to really build some momentum. I can't wait for kickoff.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The reality is GT needs an infusion of new fans, and younger fans if we want our attendance to grow and program to prosper. Depending on GT grads to become lifelong GT fans and fill out BDS has not proven to be a good model for GT in recent decades. Atlanta is growing rapidly, but it's also bringing in people who don't know GT well...if at all. The best way to raise GT's profile is by playing (and beating) big name teams. The B1G provides that with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Oregon, Washington, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa, UCLA, etc. That's the model that made FSU and Miami household names in the 90's, Boise State and UCF more recently. Some of us look at playing those big name teams and are intimidated (as evidence by some us saying GT will do poorly in the B1G). In reality, GT fans should look at it as putting GT on the national stage on a weekly basis to build our brand, and bring in new fans to infuse our program with excitement. We lost a LOT of that when GT left the SEC. GT will never get there playing ACC teams, especially if the marquee ACC teams leave for the P2, and that's pretty much an inevitability at this point. We need to embrace opportunity instead of shrinking away from it...and if you read ex President Peterson's comments about why he chose to keep GT in the ACC, that's exactly what he did. He (and some major donors) shrunk away from the opportunity to put GT on a bigger stage.

I don't care if joining the B1G causes BDS to fill with B1G fans and not GT fans. That's on GT fans, and not because GT is in the B1G. GT fans can control that by showing up to games when we play at home. If BDS is packed, then that means GT is making money and has the opportunity to gain new fans. There's an inferiority complex with a lot of our fans that playing big teams means GT will play second fiddle because GT just can't compete. Guess what? Outside of the Heisman and Dodd years, GT is rarely looked at as favorites against big teams, but we've found ways to beat good teams. Look at our 1990 team that won the national championship. How many of those big games was GT favorites in? How about when Chan Gailey beat the vaunted Auburn teams and Notre Dame? How about the Paul Johnson years, specifically 2008-2009 and 2014? If GT makes smart decisions at the coaching positions, GT always has a chance. I'd rather GT play Ohio State or Michigan, with a packed BDS full of their fans, and have the chance to build our fanbase, than play North Carolina or Boston College and have a half filled BDS...which is something that happens way too often for GT in the ACC.
I agree with all of that. B1G = B1G $$$, and that will help with recruiting, facilities, everything. (But we will have a lot of "away" games at BDS in the short term.)

So, I'm REALLY hoping we get invited. Otherwise, we're in the Kudzu League* before we know it.

*Kudzu is ivy with a drawl.

slugboy

Staff member
Regarding growing the base of sidewalk fans
  1. All fans are sidewalk fans to some degree. Even if you’re an alum, something has to entice you to the game —even if it’s your club going—and especially that
  2. Watching the NFL, NBA, MLS, MLB, I wonder how many fans know what’s going on. Baseball may be the quickest sport to get comfortable watching and following. That your team is winning and doing something good is important. Being in the mix for a championship is huge. What happens on the field is part of it; more important is making the right environment in the stands
  3. Watching Atlanta United, having a group of active fans is huge—fans that cheer, fans that do chants, and sing or whatever. I don’t even know how much these supporters know about what’s going on. They bring energy, though. You probably get something similar at an Ole Miss game
  4. Getting to a UGA or FSU game is an all-day activity. NASCAR might be more overhead. It’s forever to get in, and forever to get out. A lot of people have pregamed for hours before the start. Convenient parking is nice; being in a crowd of like-minded people in various states of consciousness seems like a much bigger deal—that’s why people are there in person. Philadelphia gets it—people are there to lose a day in fandom.
Big pro teams succeed in big cities. It’s not being urban—it’s the fan experience. (BTW, the Falcons fan experience is broken. The Braves have a good one)