Conference Realignment

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't believe the current chaotic situation is sustainable for much longer. College sports don't really have much meaning if the players are not students working toward a meaningful degree.
I agree although I’m a nerd with degrees from 3 nerd schools. My kid’s friends at Uga all applied to GT, all would have gone to GT, none got in.

So my sense is that serious student types who share our values aren’t driving this, it’s the goofball sec alums I see at my golf club. They went to Uga when it was mostly a joke - some are born again about academics, but most would rather win at football. What will change that? I suppose there is some price tag even they won’t swallow.

Part of this is also the nature of GT…conservative, engineering easily gets you to $100-200k/yr, but the people writing 7 figure checks are business owners, entrepreneurs, senior corporate execs (politicians). We have those but nerds aren’t necessarily big risk takers or politician/sales types.

I keep wondering about the next Gen donor because even though I’m pretty flush, I’m old enough to not see another big exit coming. I don’t think I can outlive my money but want to make sure I can help my family. A 40 year old multi-millionaire sees millions more in their future and can write big checks. How many of those do we have who care about football?

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
There is a reason why Dave Ramsey identified that engineers were the number 1 occupation in his study of ‘Everyday Millionaires’……..they don’t waste money on 18 year old kids throwing and kicking a ball around!

I love GT football but spending money on a game for entertainment purposes is completely different than donating to an athletic fund…but that’s just my 2 cents.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree although I’m a nerd with degrees from 3 nerd schools. My kid’s friends at Uga all applied to GT, all would have gone to GT, none got in.

So my sense is that serious student types who share our values aren’t driving this, it’s the goofball sec alums I see at my golf club. They went to Uga when it was mostly a joke - some are born again about academics, but most would rather win at football. What will change that? I suppose there is some price tag even they won’t swallow.

Part of this is also the nature of GT…conservative, engineering easily gets you to $100-200k/yr, but the people writing 7 figure checks are business owners, entrepreneurs, senior corporate execs (politicians). We have those but nerds aren’t necessarily big risk takers or politician/sales types.

I keep wondering about the next Gen donor because even though I’m pretty flush, I’m old enough to not see another big exit coming. I don’t think I can outlive my money but want to make sure I can help my family. A 40 year old multi-millionaire sees millions more in their future and can write big checks. How many of those do we have who care about football?
GT GOES OUT OF BUSINESS IN FOOTBALL AND FUTURE DONORS WILL
A. INCREASE.
B DECREASE( like bucknell and carnagie mellon ) while uga grows thier engr school.

Money is there to get us in the hunt for matching tv money ( ESPN not sending $ for calculus2 finals).

EXAMPLES
Guy that owns marina where i keep my boats, saw my gt shirt. He said both his sons grad from gt - one closing 1B$ deal on company he is taking public and other just became prez of mega corp.

Guy that has seats next to me almost never attends , but gives them to relative of bobby dodd. When he was there i asked him whst he did to for $. Said he grad in CS worked around and then at gtaa doing some back room. He and buddy wrote program to automate it. Then he quit and they sell it to all the colleges $$$ - to busy grttin rich.

There are 2 types of Gt money available GROUP 1. very well paid engr who never had to start business But are building or have built a great nest egg. GOOD LONG TERM GROUP 2 Guys that did well but started a business then sold all or some of it. RISK TAKER
BOTH are logical thinkers (not like u h grad that loved school and became owner of Golden nugget- then bought his way in as head AD).

NOW
Logic says DONT invest = .
With bad on field last 10 years; tfprez and tfp looked good but were not good, huge structual debt w limited ways to "transfer", crazy nil, possible unionization, silence about gt while acc squabbling.

Like V said if we listen to tstan, it cant be done.

FORTUNATELY LUCK AND LOGIC - THE NEW PREZ Angel believes students deserve fun of GREAT sports program while AT GREAT SCHOOL . He knowns if they have strong positive time at gt( they will give back). He was there for the 100-0 red out and it" affected him personally" . Also, ESPN told,all ACC to up game and hecis,trying .
Before he shxx canned anyone, he went and found Batt who was able to raise huge sums ala.

ACTION - did not come begging at first. HE and Batt fired the bb coach who was a few years removed from winning acc tournament. BAM - Mayor, Angel, Batt all recruit top NBA point guard DS from Celtics. FOOTBALL Batt has helped Key build a gtaa football staff of seasoned and imo quality coaches.
These coaches are our foundation. They are the no bull logic that gt donors demand. They demonstrate that they can up the game of the athletes.

PROGRESS
Per latest post by Kelly at Rivals the Top Quality kids at the Rivals camp are all giving Gt a look. Before they would laugh when the rivals rep mentioned Gt.
Key got a gym rat qb from Texas AM and buster from UGA and HK ended up in top 4 atcend of season.

HOLD ON
i am very hopeful the GOR and ESPN will tell FSU Clem to wait 1 year. That will give the GT BRAND time to look like a much more logical investment. Also, the benefit ATL will become into better focus for athletes and ease transportation plus giant hotel Also, imo, the crazy nil will slow down in football and the great gt education will take a bigger role.

This year we must have some breakout games and no dumbass losses.

i assume Batt will earn his pay at end of thisyear by coming up w plan to mobilize a team of "GT Ambssador" (like ND) out GROUP 1. They can recruit support from Hill , Reseasch, Atl. I nominate V!
Once the Group 2 sees we are mobilizaing everyone, they will be much more generous

We have made great progress.
Go jackets

Last edited:

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
There is a reason why Dave Ramsey identified that engineers were the number 1 occupation in his study of ‘Everyday Millionaires’……..they don’t waste money on 18 year old kids throwing and kicking a ball around!

I love GT football but spending money on a game for entertainment purposes is completely different than donating to an athletic fund…but that’s just my 2 cents.
That’s just a fancy way of saying “we don’t have enough money to give millions to the football program.” (I definitely dont!)

“Everyday millionaires” don’t move the needle unless you have WAY more of them than GT does. “Rich people” do. And there are a good number of occupations that have lower medians but higher top-0.1% wealth distributions than non-entrepreneurship-engineering that GT is probably under-represented in. If you have hundreds of millions or billions then using tens of millions to make the football program isn’t gonna break you, and you aren’t listening to Dave Ramsey.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I will definitely be pulling for the Wolfpack this weekend. My first boss in business was a NC State Alum. He showed me the ropes and gave me a lot of support in my early years. We went in different directions for a few years, but later re-united in the same city and the same neighborhood. He and his family became lifelong friends to me and my wife. He had my back even though we were no longer working together. He passed several years ago, but I will think of him this weekend.

One other story concerning the Wolfpack. My wife and I attended our first ACC road game in Raleigh in 1985. I was very excited about the ACC in those days. I had a 1985 ACC Basketball Championship sticker on the car headed to Tobacco Road!! We stayed at the team Hotel where Tech had a "meet and greet" the night before the game. We talked to a few of the GTAA officials about the improved state of the GT programs in football and basketball. I still remember getting on the elevator on the way to our room and a Tech player was the only one on the elevator with us. It was Mark Pike (RIP). Mark was one of our defensive linemen, I believe DE. He played for Buffalo for 13 years. I don't remember the exact conversation with Mark, but it revolved around the fact that he had a Textbook under his arm as he retired to his room. I guess that sealed my thinking about the "Tech Way". It is not easy at Tech. I have read that coach Curry encouraged or allowed studying on the road. I remember that was one thing Bobby Ross changed when he arrived on the Flats.

I hope the ACC can hold together, and GT will return to those better days!

Go Wolfpack!
Mark Pike and Harrison Butker have played in more Super Bowls than any other Tech man.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s just a fancy way of saying “we don’t have enough money to give millions to the football program.” (I definitely dont!)

“Everyday millionaires” don’t move the needle unless you have WAY more of them than GT does. “Rich people” do. And there are a good number of occupations that have lower medians but higher top-0.1% wealth distributions than non-entrepreneurship-engineering that GT is probably under-represented in. If you have hundreds of millions or billions then using tens of millions to make the football program isn’t gonna break you, and you aren’t listening to Dave Ramsey.
Agreed, and investment logic doesn’t exactly apply to university donations. I’ve given a good bit to the engineering school but it was only a couple percent of my net worth at the time and it was a gift. It helped that they were super nice about reporting back how the money was spent vs the AA pissing away millions on stupid contracts. But it’s a gift to help the school not an investment with some kind of quant ROI target.

An IPTAY style campaign (more likely $1k/year to NIL, try to get most alums to chip in) would help, but the numbers are getting so big now that you need some whales ready to step up, some younger generation ones who will be around for a while. Just imho.

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
You are missing the point. My point was that most Tech alum are ‘everyday millionaires’. They are engineering degree occupation people who make good money by world standards but are clearly good with numbers and therefore aren’t going to give that away to 18 year old kids. They are stock piling it up as a future nest egg for a nice retirement.

They are same type of people that aren’t gambling money away in a losing venture.

They also probably aren’t as into sports as the typical state school alum.

Those are just facts… Now the discussion about the ‘billionaires club’ is completely different and I agree with you there but again…lets keep it apples to apples talking about the average/majority of alumni.

And last donating to the school vs donating to athletics is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about athletics only. The average GT grad is probably 100x more likely to donate to the school side vs the athletic side. They clearly valued academics when they went there in the first place and chose GT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for your message number 31

It explains the how 50 yd line gt alumni season ticket holders justified selling tickets to open market which were snapped up fans on sea of red day.

L

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
You are missing the point. My point was that most Tech alum are ‘everyday millionaires’. They are engineering degree occupation people who make good money by world standards but are clearly good with numbers and therefore aren’t going to give that away to 18 year old kids. They are stock piling it up as a future nest egg for a nice retirement.

They are same type of people that aren’t gambling money away in a losing venture.

They also probably aren’t as into sports as the typical state school alum.

Those are just facts… Now the discussion about the ‘billionaires club’ is completely different and I agree with you there but again…lets keep it apples to apples talking about the average/majority of alumni.

And last donating to the school vs donating to athletics is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about athletics only. The average GT grad is probably 100x more likely to donate to the school side vs the athletic side. They clearly valued academics when they went there in the first place and chose GT.
I'm talking about the ones who will complain loudly - either in the stadium or online - about not winning enough and also think they're too smart to donate to the football program. Whole bunch of them out there. Too good with numbers to give a bunch of money, not good enough with numbers to know that in that case you aren't gonna get results? Can't have it both ways.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that has happened so far is that the NC court has said that the lawsuit will remain in North Carolina. It will not be dismissed and it will not be stayed. I think it is believed that the Florida court is likely to stay that lawsuit pending the outcome of the lawsuit in NC.

This is likely is good for the ACC, but it is still just the beginning of the lawsuit. The ACC hasn't won yet. I'm sure that the Twitter and YouTube guys will be hyping this up either as the end of the line for FSU or the end of the line for the ACC, but it isn't. It is just the first step in a very long court process.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's still my completely unqualified opinion that this winds up in Federal District Court in Atlanta.
I do not know the rules about removal very well, but I heard a lawyer say the motion to remove to federal court has to happen in the first 30 days. I do not know what happens it NC and FL have different rulings, but there are laws about states honoring each other's court decisions. I think it's whichever reaches a decision first.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not know the rules about removal very well, but I heard a lawyer say the motion to remove to federal court has to happen in the first 30 days. I do not know what happens it NC and FL have different rulings, but there are laws about states honoring each other's court decisions. I think it's whichever reaches a decision first.
My thinking is that it will arrive there on appeal.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My thinking is that it will arrive there on appeal.
The GOR explicitly lists out what rights each school is granting to the Conference. They include:
  1. All rights under the US and/or foreign copyright laws
  2. All reproduction, performance, display, distribution, and other intellectual property rights
  3. The right to modify distort or alter the Works and future Works
  4. All so-called moral rights
In other words, everything and anything related to the broadcast of the games. The schools own nothing. This is usually a federal court issue. I would not be surprised to see NC retain the non-intellectual property rights issues and transfer the property rights issues to a federal court in NC. Bad for FSU. They can litigate all they want in Leon County, FL ... but the main event will be in a NC federal court.

The ACC legal maneuverings are a like a courtroom version of the triple option. Just grind them down and own the clock and home field advantage.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The GOR explicitly lists out what rights each school is granting to the Conference. They include:
  1. All rights under the US and/or foreign copyright laws
  2. All reproduction, performance, display, distribution, and other intellectual property rights
  3. The right to modify distort or alter the Works and future Works
  4. All so-called moral rights
In other words, everything and anything related to the broadcast of the games. The schools own nothing. This is usually a federal court issue. I would not be surprised to see NC retain the non-intellectual property rights issues and transfer the property rights issues to a federal court in NC. Bad for FSU. They can litigate all they want in Leon County, FL ... but the main event will be in a NC federal court.

The ACC legal maneuverings are a like a courtroom version of the triple option. Just grind them down and own the clock and home field advantage.
Death march time

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Death march time
Mean while in TV land

Media ad buyer ($$$) calls ESPN ($$$) and leave voice mail:

1. What is this DMT? It seems to be - death march time - related to one of the ACC bottom dwellers (-$).

2. I thought ESPN had an agreement etween the ACC teams but all I see is info about the GOR granting media rights. Looks like the courts be involved in your contract?

3. My clients and I are worried the process might impact the games scheduled and who plays in them for 24, 24,26? This will LONG term Ad buys we normally place. Off course, we love ESPN SEC and will be increasing LT ad buys.

3. By the way an old fart i know who does not know how to stream just bought a huge fancy OLED TV that comes with "you tube channel" with everything hooked up. He can select his favorite college team and get all the content on internet! These TV builders are getting with it. He just pays $ and it right hhere - some times in 4K. Hooking up this old fart really shows how things are changing in TV viewing. Heck he even bought a table to read on now can watch games and OUR ADD every where he goes. NEXT we can target adds directly to him!

4. Oh, why i called. I called to say this DMT stuff, the new avenues for viewing, your uncertainty, makes me want to talk more about Ads based on actual viewing. Also IIRC, the actual agreement with ESPN ACC says you have an opt out clause in the agreement to avoid being death marched? Lets talk about how we are not going to be DM. It is really a catch phrase. Love that team - GT - they are in ATL = maybe we can all fly in and have a face to face.

Call me.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow

I think you need to do some research on Dave Ramsey before you quote him. He got his start on Nashville local radio after he went bankrupt as a real estate developer. He based his financial peace university stich on a single line from the bible; "neither a borrower nor lender be". Now he did some good teaching this at local church's because most people can use some financial discipline; but he was not and to this day I do not believe he is a financial expert. I used to hear his return callers say you told me to sell this or that but did not tell me about the tax implications or you told me to sell my house but did not tell me about penalities for prepaying a mortgage.

He recently gave a seminar at a local church in North Atlanta and he is still preaching his borrower/lender approach; and people still need financial discipline. But he still is not a financial expert.