Conference Realignment

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
This looks diffeerent to me, don't think I would do that if I were state of NC, they could leave both just sitting there with no place to go, don't have to have them.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This looks diffeerent to me, don't think I would do that if I were state of NC, they could leave both just sitting there with no place to go, don't have to have them, yes I'm sure they might like one of them.
What the BOG said was no NC University system school could switch conferences without the approval of the BOG. It is assumed they meant UNC had to bring NCSU along if they found a home outside the conference but that is not explicit. I have had a bunch of conversations about this with local UNC grads. One is my next door neighbor who is close with the AA in Chapel Hill. All of them say staying in the ACC is what they want and they are hearing from the UNC admin that is what the school wants as well.

One thing is certain, neither UNC or NCSU is leaving without their TV rights and neither can buy the rights back.

BTW, I was in Raleigh today and the city is closing down Hillsborough St tonight and tomorrow night for a free watch party. I kinda wish my business in the Triangle had not ended this morning. That would be fun out there pulling for the ACC.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
What the BOG said was no NC University system school could switch conferences without the approval of the BOG. It is assumed they meant UNC had to bring NCSU along if they found a home outside the conference but that is not explicit. I have had a bunch of conversations about this with local UNC grads. One is my next door neighbor who is close with the AA in Chapel Hill. All of them say staying in the ACC is what they want and they are hearing from the UNC admin that is what the school wants as well.

One thing is certain, neither UNC or NCSU is leaving without their TV rights and neither can buy the rights back.

BTW, I was in Raleigh today and the city is closing down Hillsborough St tonight and tomorrow night for a free watch party. I kinda wish my business in the Triangle had not ended this morning. That would be fun out there pulling for the ACC.
What is happening tonight and tomorrow night?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What is happening tonight and tomorrow night?
I assume this is sarcasm, but the NCSU faithful would argue that their men's and women's basketball teams are playing in the Final Four. Hillsborough St is the main drag for the NC State campus. The women are playing tonight and the men are playing tomorrow night. The City of Raleigh essentially saying, "We're proud of these two teams and want the citizens of Raleigh to be able to join hands in honoring them."

This is a dream scenario I would love to see duplicated along Techwood.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I assume this is sarcasm, but the NCSU faithful would argue that their men's and women's basketball teams are playing in the Final Four. Hillsborough St is the main drag for the NC State campus. The women are playing tonight and the men are playing tomorrow night. The City of Raleigh essentially saying, "We're proud of these two teams and want the citizens of Raleigh to be able to join hands in honoring them."

Ncst fans are getting a lot of credit for sticking with thier teams during lean years.
They have minimal debt , ok cash flow, and are upgrading thier facilities.

Not sure how tv money would look at more than 2 teams in north carolina. Hope they want 2 in Ga!

This year lets beat them in last home game. Nice folks, but lets finish strong.

If we gave good season and NCST has big crowd in that game, it will look very bad.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

Not sarcasm, I could care less about BB mens or womens. I lived in AR when Eddie Sutton was the coach and knew Eddie a little and he taught the AR fans about BB and it was at that time that Bobby Cremins was the GT coach and I would get them on TV some and I tried to become a fan and did a little. I always thought Bobby was a unique sort of guy and he had some good players, seemed to only like to play a 6 man rotation sort of game. I moved back to Atl in '99 and an old frat brother had GTBB tickets and I got into it a little the year they made the NCAA finals and that is about it for me. I did go to the ACC BB Tournament one year when it was the Georgia Dome right after I moved back to Atl., did enjoy the experience but would have something else to do if i had been asked again. Just not a game that has ever really grabbed my interest. Tried playing it when in HS and practiced with the team all the way through my senior year and we had players that ended up on schollie at LSU, Auburn, 2 at KY and a couple at Davidson if I remember correctly. They did dress me out for some home games my SR. year because I had been out there banging it around in practice with those guys for about 3 years. That is the extent of my interest in the game. My sports were FB and track. HS BB helped me some with those two sports. I have for a long time thought the overall best athletes were BB players, seem to need great hand eye coordination, athletic, great endurance, toughness. The outcomes always seemed to be so controlled by the referees and so much time spent at the foul line, used to watch teams outside NC play the NC teams and so many times it seemed the referees determined the outcomes, all a real turnoff for me. Saw some of that in FB before replay but nothing like I noticed in BB.
These post between us sort of points out that a lot of the differences between people on here and I'm guessing at other schools. The ACC has always been a BB conference and FB schools have been brought in and now that divide is showing up again amongst the fan bases. I remember the year when they started the ACC Network I believe it was early August just prior to FB season beginning and the Network gave a little time to FB and then launched off into all the BB stuff for a long period of time and FB season was starting in a month or less. I thought at the time these people have to be morons, the biggest revenue source and you are doing this, so it appears to me more and more it's never going to work and I'm sensing that when everything is uncoverd it is not going to be very pretty, but I don't yet know that for sure, so just need to let it play out. Whatever is there may not necessarily be in the documents, but the documents may lead to other things, we'll just have to wait and see, certainly I could be totally wrong, but something does not smell right. We all know about Disney, don't think we know near all there is to know yet but again we need to wait and see there also. I'm getting pretty old so I may not see it all.

Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

I will definitely be pulling for the Wolfpack this weekend. My first boss in business was a NC State Alum. He showed me the ropes and gave me a lot of support in my early years. We went in different directions for a few years, but later re-united in the same city and the same neighborhood. He and his family became lifelong friends to me and my wife. He had my back even though we were no longer working together. He passed several years ago, but I will think of him this weekend.

One other story concerning the Wolfpack. My wife and I attended our first ACC road game in Raleigh in 1985. I was very excited about the ACC in those days. I had a 1985 ACC Basketball Championship sticker on the car headed to Tobacco Road!! We stayed at the team Hotel where Tech had a "meet and greet" the night before the game. We talked to a few of the GTAA officials about the improved state of the GT programs in football and basketball. I still remember getting on the elevator on the way to our room and a Tech player was the only one on the elevator with us. It was Mark Pike (RIP). Mark was one of our defensive linemen, I believe DE. He played for Buffalo for 13 years. I don't remember the exact conversation with Mark, but it revolved around the fact that he had a Textbook under his arm as he retired to his room. I guess that sealed my thinking about the "Tech Way". It is not easy at Tech. I have read that coach Curry encouraged or allowed studying on the road. I remember that was one thing Bobby Ross changed when he arrived on the Flats.

I hope the ACC can hold together, and GT will return to those better days!

Go Wolfpack!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think all the schools with a history and aspiration for academic and athletic success/prestige should form their own conference. GT, Stanford, ND….etc…. Most schools say they do, but not really. It’s really hard to be at the very top of both.
isn't that the ivy league now? Not picking on you. That sounds like a terrible idea. The athletic budget would crumble and impossible to pay off our existing debt.

Plus a true college has many sports teams, not just football. We would basically be intramurals with $100M in debt for no reason.

Really really bad idea

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
isn't that the ivy league now? Not picking on you. That sounds like a terrible idea. The athletic budget would crumble and impossible to pay off our existing debt.

Plus a true college has many sports teams, not just football. We would basically be intramurals with $100M in debt for no reason.

Really really bad idea
The Ivies don't give athletic scholarships either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Really really bad idea
If I wanted to be another Ivy League, I would just say join the Ivy League. Harvard and Yale and the boys don’t want to be a national champion at the highest level. They don’t compete against power five teams, Notre Dame and Stanford do. And we can still play outside the league.

I guess I should’ve said conference instead of league. Actually, I just checked, I did say conference.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Really really bad idea
I think that was the ACC before we tried to be “competitive.”

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
If I wanted to be another Ivy League, I would just say join the Ivy League. Harvard and Yale and the boys don’t want to be a national champion at the highest level. They don’t compete against power five teams, Notre Dame and Stanford do. And we can still play outside the league.

I guess I should’ve said conference instead of league. Actually, I just checked, I did say conference.
We’re not a fit for the current Ivy, but I’ve read about “Southern Ivy” ideas for years. If we continue to be dramatically out spent on NIL (yes I understand the displeasure with it, but iiwii) we might eventually end up with an elite group of schools outside the P2 equally unwilling to run a pro football team. Who knows, that’s sort of where the ACC is maybe going sans Clemson and FSU. Or maybe we get one more shot at B1G.

I’ve wondered if there is an affluent bunch of younger alums, crazy about football and ready to step up. I’m older, well in the loop with academic contributions, not as much AA (but I do contribute).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We’re not a fit for the current Ivy, but I’ve read about “Southern Ivy” ideas for years. If we continue to be dramatically out spent on NIL (yes I understand the displeasure with it, but iiwii) we might eventually end up with an elite group of schools outside the P2 equally unwilling to run a pro football team. Who knows, that’s sort of where the ACC is maybe going sans Clemson and FSU. Or maybe we get one more shot at B1G.

I’ve wondered if there is an affluent bunch of younger alums, crazy about football and ready to step up. I’m older, well in the loop with academic contributions, not as much AA (but I do contribute).
imo, we either go big our go home.
I am all in as long as we aim high.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I just can’t tell if alums are ready to pony up enough to get off the porch. Reactions on here to NIL tell me it might have to come from some new generation of donors, mostly folks I’m too old to know well. Hey I’m wrong at least once/day so who knows.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I just can’t tell if alums are ready to pony up enough to get off the porch. Reactions on here to NIL tell me it might have to come from some new generation of donors, mostly folks I’m too old to know well. Hey I’m wrong at least once/day so who knows.
Doubtful. While there are perhaps, a few thousand donors to A-T, only about 10 (yes, t-e-n) really move the needle. Even TStan, when asked, said he had no plans to increase "fund-raising" because he could simply call 10 or so donors and get what he needed. I did a study on it a few years ago and he wasn't wrong. (That's why when CPJ needed a new locker room, he simply called one donor and asked and got $6 million to do so.)

Schools like Oregon, Tennessee, Texas A&M, etc have donors who write $100 million dollar checks to the football program. Tech has generous alumni and we do well for our size, but nowhere near what some of these schools can do. This doesn't happen in basketball because it doesn't take much to run a top-notch basketball program.

Having said all of that, I think the smart thing to do is to re-organize college athletics into tiers based on resources (e.g., enrollment, fanbase, budget, etc) much like high schools do. But they probably won't. In that case, should the ACC survive the FSU/Clemson lawsuits, they may very well evolve into a smarter version of the Ivy League ... still D1, attractive to media partners, but not a dominant football conference. (Typical business evolution ... Nrs 1 and 2 dominate, 3 muddles along, there's a shakeout for all of the rest.)

It's interesting to watch ...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Doubtful. While there are perhaps, a few thousand donors to A-T, only about 10 (yes, t-e-n) really move the needle. Even TStan, when asked, said he had no plans to increase "fund-raising" because he could simply call 10 or so donors and get what he needed. I did a study on it a few years ago and he wasn't wrong. (That's why when CPJ needed a new locker room, he simply called one donor and asked and got $6 million to do so.)

Schools like Oregon, Tennessee, Texas A&M, etc have donors who write $100 million dollar checks to the football program. Tech has generous alumni and we do well for our size, but nowhere near what some of these schools can do. This doesn't happen in basketball because it doesn't take much to run a top-notch basketball program.

Having said all of that, I think the smart thing to do is to re-organize college athletics into tiers based on resources (e.g., enrollment, fanbase, budget, etc) much like high schools do. But they probably won't. In that case, should the ACC survive the FSU/Clemson lawsuits, they may very well evolve into a smarter version of the Ivy League ... still D1, attractive to media partners, but not a dominant football conference. (Typical business evolution ... Nrs 1 and 2 dominate, 3 muddles along, there's a shakeout for all of the rest.)

I don't believe the current chaotic situation is sustainable for much longer. College sports don't really have much meaning if the players are not students working toward a meaningful degree.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Isn't it already organized this way? P5(4)/G5/D1/D2/D3, FBS/FCS, etc. What's happening now is a movement toward splitting up the highest tier (again).