Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Even better- the SEC offers GT a spot in an effort to block the BIG from planting their flag in Atlanta and we turn THEM down this time
As long as the ACC exists in any form, GT can only go to a conference whose "works" are distributed and broadcast by ESPN. That pretty much means ... the SEC.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But that's not true. ESPN didn't want to put the $$ and effort into the ACCN. They said they'd only do that with an extension and a GOR that covered that extension.

My understanding is that the look-in by '25 is whether to continue with the ACCN past '27, and the network portion is what they had the option on, not the whole media contract.

The first part is definitely true. It's in the language of the GOR. The second part was told to me by someone I trust to know these things.
You are correct. I was just saying the minimum to answer the question.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
True. But that's a $400 million difference over ten years.
That’s the point no one gets. Even if by some miracle the ACC holds until 2036, those schools will be so far behind we might as well rename the conference to the Sunbelt Coast Conference. Either way the ACC as we know it will no longer exist whether we implode now or in 2036. Recruiting for the conference will start to taper off as recruits start seeing the money and prestige differences even more so than they’ve already seen. Either way this conference is toast because our leaders have led us down the wrong path. Watching our undefeated top 4 ranked team get dropped at the only poll that mattered was the end. We can turn out the lights now or later.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Circle jerk? I'm glad I aged out of that .
Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
That’s the point no one gets. Even if by some miracle the ACC holds until 2036, those schools will be so far behind we might as well rename the conference to the Sunbelt Coast Conference. Either way the ACC as we know it will no longer exist whether we implode now or in 2036. Recruiting for the conference will start to taper off as recruits start seeing the money and prestige differences even more so than they’ve already seen. Either way this conference is toast because our leaders have led us down the wrong path. Watching our undefeated top 4 ranked team get dropped at the only poll that mattered was the end. We can turn out the lights now or later.
"We can turn out the lights now or later". And later will be a long period of pain watching the whole thing go to nothing as a relevant National product. Turn the captured lose and let them have a fighting chance. What a mess Swafford and the "Tobacco Road Mafia" put us in.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Will be behind the SEC and Big Ten but ahead of the other 80+ schools including the Big 12. You can concentrate on just the negatives but I would rather be in the ACC during this mess than a Group of 5 school. Clearly everyone wishes we would have a more competitive TV contract than we have currently. But school donations, attendance, etc. lag well behind the majority of Big Ten and SEC Schools. So you can just pile on one aspect of the problem (TV contracts) but there are multiple issues. And no, I would not rename this the Sunbelt Conference despite your opinion. Even if the worse happens (a few key schools leave), payouts will be much higher to ACC schools than any of the Group of 5 schools. We will see how the lock in to 2036 plays out. But I think contract renewals for other Big 4 conferences will likely not be as lucrative in the future as subscription models for cable providers continue to dwindle.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We’re downsizing our stadium, and most here are OK with it. Just think about that a bit. Consider it with reference to conference expansion and realignment.