Conference Realignment

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If ESPN does not extend in 2027, then FSU and Clemson will likely pay the exit fee to leave if they have a place to go. Will others bail? I can see a merger with B12 to form a Super conference which will maintain most of the current rivalry games plus a cross division opponent or two to fill the void. I have trouble seeing us as a B1G invite unless we get real good in FB real quick. Right now only attraction is the Atlanta market and opens Georgia for recruiting.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If ESPN does not extend in 2027, then FSU and Clemson will likely pay the exit fee to leave if they have a place to go. Will others bail? I can see a merger with B12 to form a Super conference which will maintain most of the current rivalry games plus a cross division opponent or two to fill the void. I have trouble seeing us as a B1G invite unless we get real good in FB real quick. Right now only attraction is the Atlanta market and opens Georgia for recruiting.
Surely the people making these decisions won’t just base them on recent success or lack thereof, that would be incredibly shortsided as almost all programs rise and fall over a given period of time

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s estimated that ESPN nets $100 million off the ACC. There’s no reason to just give that up for nothing. Second, the ACCN isn’t just going to disappear. Do you think they (ESPN) want to watch it sign up with NBC, CBS (who just lost the SEC), or AppleTV or some combination of the above?

Rumors of the ACC, the ACCN, and its demise are greatly exaggerated. It still offers a path to the CFP …

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
2027 is for the ACCN not the media contract. Besides, GOR does not end if media contact ends. My thoughts are than no one leaves before 2034 without dropping a huge dime, which isn't going to happen.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
2027 is for the ACCN not the media contract. Besides, GOR does not end if media contact ends. My thoughts are than no one leaves before 2034 without dropping a huge dime, which isn't going to happen.
Now, there may be an announcement in 2029 or 2030 (like Texas and Oklahoma), but it won't go into effect until much closer to the GOR expiring, maybe not until it expires.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is that factual or just what some people think?
That's what some are assuming. Including me. I cannot see the point in the ACC extending the GOR if ESPN has the power to simply walk away from the entire deal. It doesn't make any sense. While we may not like some of the decisions from the ACC office, they are not stupid. And, at the time they signed that contract the ACC was on par with the SEC and Big Ten. So they were not desperate.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ESPN said they would not extend the ACC media deal unless the GOR was extended to the same end date. If the media deal could end in 2027 there was no reason the extended the GOR beyond that date. This is partly the argument FSU is making. If the media deal ends, then the GOR should end as well. But they are two separate contracts. The ACC owns the members' media rights until 2036. The GOR was an attachment to one of the filings in Mecklenburg. It is not a secret.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
ESPN said they would not extend the ACC media deal unless the GOR was extended to the same end date. If the media deal could end in 2027 there was no reason the extended the GOR beyond that date. This is partly the argument FSU is making. If the media deal ends, then the GOR should end as well. But they are two separate contracts. The ACC owns the members' media rights until 2036. The GOR was an attachment to one of the filings in Mecklenburg. It is not a secret.
But that's not true. ESPN didn't want to put the $$ and effort into the ACCN. They said they'd only do that with an extension and a GOR that covered that extension.

My understanding is that the look-in by '25 is whether to continue with the ACCN past '27, and the network portion is what they had the option on, not the whole media contract.

The first part is definitely true. It's in the language of the GOR. The second part was told to me by someone I trust to know these things.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
What do u think

How long will espn just sit while the lawyers chest bump?

Take a minute and using your insites predict what u think the season looks like?
Im not necessarily commenting on this particular video. I am commenting on all of his videos in general. If you have ever watched him you will relieve 99% of what his says is click bait. I doubt he has any sources, and basically just regurgitates information from others videos.