Conference Realignment

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ACC v. FSU hearing in Charlotte today. It's over for the day.

Three issues being heard:

FSU asks court to dismiss the ACC lawsuit for a variety of reasons; ACC wants NC court to have jurisdiction; ACC wants to seal the ESPN contract from public.

It looks like judge will not dismiss. I am not sure about staying the ACC lawsuit in favor of the FSU lawsuit in FL (not likely, but I don't understand the the precedents); I believe the ACC wins the jurisdiction part, and the judge seems to favor sealing the ESPN contract, but the Leon County lawsuit is public record and parts are already public.

Judge promised a ruling before the April 9 hearing in FL.

I hope one of the legal bloggers will post something later today. I am following several. Will post when I see something.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

FSU asks court to dismiss the ACC lawsuit for a variety of reasons; ACC wants NC court to have jurisdiction; ACC wants to seal the ESPN contract from public.

It looks like judge will not dismiss. I am not sure about staying the ACC lawsuit in favor of the FSU lawsuit in FL (not likely, but I don't understand the the precedents); I believe the ACC wins the jurisdiction part, and the judge seems to favor sealing the ESPN contract, but the Leon County lawsuit is public record and parts are already public.

I hope one of the legal bloggers will post something later today. I am following several. Will post when I see something.

If anyone cares enough or has the time, this guy tweeted out the entire hearing on his timeline today from court. I scrolled to the beginning of it so the rest of you heathens don't have to. You're welcome...

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Couldn't help but chuckle at this...

slugboy

Staff member
Yep.

I've been saying this for the past year or two...and advocating for a multi-tier system like the English leagues. Every school would eventually reach their proper level and play for their leagues' respective National titles.

CBS, ESPN, et al, would have MULTIPLE playoff games and championships to televise. And because of promotion/relegation, even the regular season games would count more and draw a larger TV audience.

What's not to love?
From the fan view, it’s great

In the CFP, the B1G and SEC are doing what they can to lock out or restrict other conferences.

In the NCAAM BB Tournament, coaches and admins from the big 2 are trying to remove automatic bids from other conferences

It’s nice to want a relegation system. What I see the factories attempting to do is lock themselves into place permanently. Alabama might agree to relegate Missouri and Miss State, but the bottom 2/3rds of the SEC and B1G will fight that tooth and nail

(Side note: relegation isn’t working that well in the Premier League. There are only some top teams that can compete, and a bunch of others that are barely scraping by)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If B1G can build out a Southern bloc of schools (GT/UNC/FSU/etc) they should do everything in their power to recruit Texas A&M to join. Texas A&M has been vocal about their displeasure in SEC getting UTexas to join, and the Texas market could juice the B1G media value more than any school they currently have. The "Southern bloc" would be beneficial for scheduling in the South/Southwest. It would also help with scheduling their Western Bloc of schools (USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon). SEC also famously has no GOR to keep their schools locked in (I believe).

B1G would be an extremely compelling national conference if they could pull that off.
I’m persuaded 😊

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
(Side note: relegation isn’t working that well in the Premier League. There are only some top teams that can compete, and a bunch of others that are barely scraping by)
Based on the analysis Wreck Talk reviewed on his YouTube channel yesterday, it sounds like a lot of college teams are barely scraping by.

Including us.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The way this is looking like it is heading it becomes decisions being made with out the truth because of over 100 pages of info and facts that could be pertinent not being disclosed. Sounds like another rigged justice system deal could be in the wings. We'll see. If enough pressure ever comes to bear on disclosure does ESPN then say they want out in order to avoid disclosure. They have joined the ACC in not wanting disclosure. What is it in those 100+ pages they are afraid of being known? What have the conference and ESPN kept from the ACC member schools?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Which totally ignores what I said. Sankey says that the SEC is not interested in added teams in states already represented. However, the SEC is adding Texas, which is from Texas. Which is already represented by Texas A&M.
Alabama - Auburn
Mississippi - Mississippi St.
Tennessee - Vanderbilt

Now if they want to remain exclusively in the Southeast without more duplication, that only leaves North Carolina (UNC & NCSU) and Virginia (UVA & VT).

But they could easily add one from FL (FSU), one from GA, one from SC (Clemson), and one from KY (Louisville).

That would bring them to 24 teams total. Two divisions of 12 with each school playing every other division plus one out of division game vs their in-state rival.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I like it. It won’t happen, but I like it.
Me too. The beauty of it, as others have pointed out, is it turns every SEC team into Vanderbilt or Mississippi State unless you are Alabama or Georgia and it turns every B1G team into Illinois or Indiana unless you are Ohio State or Michigan.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
What does this even mean? Texas is joining the SEC this year. Texas A&M was a member of the SEC already. Sankey has said basically that the SEC is not looking to add members from states already represented. What I said is spot on. I fail to see how this is any kind of rebuttal to what I said.
adding Texas is a little different than adding just any other second school from an already represented state

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My solution: ACC, B12 and remaining members of the PAC 12, along with the G5 should sign a preemptive pact to refuse to play SEC and B10. Take charge now.
Isn't this what the SEC and B1G want? They want their two conferences to be on a level above the rest. Not playing B12, ACC, and G5 teams just re-enforces that perception.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Isn't this what the SEC and B1G want? They want their two conferences to be on a level above the rest. Not playing B12, ACC, and G5 teams just re-enforces that perception.
No, that’s not what the SEC wants. Sankey wants the best matchups, not any matchups. Play FSU or Clemson? Sure. Syracuse? Not so much.

As I understand it, all FBS teams who want to be in the CFP signed that they agreed to lesser money AND that SEC/B1G run it. So they agree too … the SEC/B1G are above the rest. And now that they are addicted to the money, how do they change that? Not likely.