Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I'm saying is not that the SEC needs an Atlanta-based team, but that they don't want the Big to have one.

So, it would be a defensive move for the SEC to add Tech in order to shut the Big out.
So, if I might argue as a friend of the court, the SEC with uga, and the SEC championship game, feel they have already planted a flag in Atlanta. But your argument is that the B1G wants a piece of the action in Atlanta, which seems highly plausible. The question we seem unclear about is whether the primary attraction is market value or recruiting inroads. Obviously it can be both but does one have the edge over the other?

I have no doubt the SEC would want to block that in either case.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
So, we’ve gone around and around for several pages on the same issues. Over and over.

I would like to simplify things if I can.

Over the next ten years which conference do you think will be in a stronger position, the B1G, or the SEC, and why?
Ali v. Tyson.

I'm giving the edge to Ali due to his speed and reach advantage. If Ali can hang with Foreman and Frazier, he can take Tyson's punches, also.

According to Buster Douglas, after 7-8 rounds, Tyson runs out of gas.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So, we’ve gone around and around for several pages on the same issues. Over and over.

Over the next ten years which conference do you think will be in a stronger position, the B1G, or the SEC, and why?
I think that what will happen will be decided by outside factors instead of what any conference does. A breakup of the NCAA, court decisions, or legislation, could all completely change college athletics. I think the schools and conferences are trying to prepare and control the outcome of those kinds of scenarios, but I don't think they will be able to completely control it. I think we could be anywhere from: Current situation today, to Big10 and SEC taking over, to a completely revamped legislated system of college athletics that has very little resemblance to today.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

If there is direct clear correlation between school spending and wins (Uncertain if this is in fact true), then I think the BIG is setup to generate more revenue since they are working to cover the whole US. But they need to put a dent into the SEC so I could see them snagging GT, FSU and Clemson and maybe Miami(If they are back?). Depending on the NC politics, could they get NC? their population spread over the state is not as attractive as GT and ATL.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If there is direct clear correlation between school spending and wins (Uncertain if this is in fact true), then I think the BIG is setup to generate more revenue since they are working to cover the whole US. But they need to put a dent into the SEC so I could see them snagging GT, FSU and Clemson and maybe Miami(If they are back?). Depending on the NC politics, could they get NC? their population spread over the state is not as attractive as GT and ATL.
60+% of the US population lives east of the Mississippi. But that means that nearly 40% lives where the SEC has little presence (with the exceptions of TX and OK).

Additionally, the SEC has NO presence north of KY and MO which leaves the entire NE and upper midwest completely ignored.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
SEC Commissioner Sankey has repeatedly said that the SEC has no interest extending itself to the West Coast nor North.
And you take his word for it? Isn't he the same guy that said that the SEC has no interest in adding a second team from an already represented state? I guess Texas and Texas A&M are not in the same state?

Sankey is a marketing guy. (not exclusively, but is well adept at marketing the SEC) He says what is in the best interest of the SEC, at the time he says it. It could be completely true, or it could be what the SEC needs the public to believe. As soon as it is in the best interest of the SEC for people to believe something different, he will change what he says. I am not being overly critical of him, just pointing out that you can't depend on his statements as pure fact.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think that what will happen will be decided by outside factors instead of what any conference does. A breakup of the NCAA, court decisions, or legislation, could all completely change college athletics. I think the schools and conferences are trying to prepare and control the outcome of those kinds of scenarios, but I don't think they will be able to completely control it. I think we could be anywhere from: Current situation today, to Big10 and SEC taking over, to a completely revamped legislated system of college athletics that has very little resemblance to today.
I think you're probably right. The courts seem bent on "setting college athletics straight." The NCAA sees this and is just a deer in the headlights. CFB is doing what it can to hedge against whatever the courts might ultimately do. However, there is a split in how to go about it. The SEC/B1G is hell bound to free themselves of the NCAA and paint a totally new semi-pro "masterpiece." The B12 and ACC seem to want to cobble together the rest to maintain a shred of amateurism. Which one wins will depend on what the courts say in the next 10 or so years, and I believe it will be decided by the courts. Unless there is an antitrust exemption similar to MLB, I can't see college athletics surviving as is. All will involve some level of professionalism in the new definition.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And you take his word for it? Isn't he the same guy that said that the SEC has no interest in adding a second team from an already represented state? I guess Texas and Texas A&M are not in the same state?
Texas A&M joined the SEC in 2012-2013. Sankey became commissioner in 2015.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

If B1G can build out a Southern bloc of schools (GT/UNC/FSU/etc) they should do everything in their power to recruit Texas A&M to join. Texas A&M has been vocal about their displeasure in SEC getting UTexas to join, and the Texas market could juice the B1G media value more than any school they currently have. The "Southern bloc" would be beneficial for scheduling in the South/Southwest. It would also help with scheduling their Western Bloc of schools (USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon). SEC also famously has no GOR to keep their schools locked in (I believe).

B1G would be an extremely compelling national conference if they could pull that off.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What does this even mean? Texas is joining the SEC this year. Texas A&M was a member of the SEC already. Sankey has said basically that the SEC is not looking to add members from states already represented. What I said is spot on. I fail to see how this is any kind of rebuttal to what I said.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What does this even mean? Texas is joining the SEC this year. Texas A&M was a member of the SEC already. Sankey has said basically that the SEC is not looking to add members from states already represented. What I said is spot on. I fail to see how this is any kind of rebuttal to what I said.
There was no interest adding A&M either. A&M wanted in. Gene Stallings lobbied hard to get them in. The SEC didn’t pursue either TX or OK. Both approached the SEC and basically begged to get in. Unexpected but … all fit the criteria of what today’s SEC is looking for.

The point is, the SEC isn’t pursuing anyone as much as everyone thinks. Their strategy is to ensure the best matchups across the flagship programs in a region they dominate. It makes sense to answer the phone if the ACC collapses and UNC calls. Duke? Not so much.

Sankey has been pretty clear about what he’s trying to do.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was no interest adding A&M either. A&M wanted in. Gene Stallings lobbied hard to get them in. The SEC didn’t pursue either TX or OK. Both approached the SEC and basically begged to get in. Unexpected but … all fit the criteria of what today’s SEC is looking for.

The point is, the SEC isn’t pursuing anyone as much as everyone thinks. Their strategy is to ensure the best matchups across the flagship programs in a region they dominate. It makes sense to answer the phone if the ACC collapses and UNC calls. Duke? Not so much.

Sankey has been pretty clear about what he’s trying to do.
Which totally ignores what I said. Sankey says that the SEC is not interested in added teams in states already represented. However, the SEC is adding Texas, which is from Texas. Which is already represented by Texas A&M.

What he says doesn't exactly match what they are doing. He doesn't say things because they are 100% correct. He says things to sway things towards the position of the SEC. Accurate or not accurate doesn't really matter. Promoting the SEC is what matters. You can't rely on his statements as being 100% true, because his job is not to provide truth. His job is to promote the SEC. That is what I said, and nothing you have responded with has disputed that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Which leaves a lot of revenue potential for the Big.
Hypothetically. The ACC is going to be around a while. The current litigation is expected to take a few years.

But Paul Johnson made the best point. That is, GT is a lot more like a service academy than a typical P5. I think we’d be happier playing Army, Navy, Air Force, ND, and Stanford than trying to stay in the rat race. I think we’ll end up in a decade doing that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Which totally ignores what I said. Sankey says that the SEC is not interested in added teams in states already represented. However, the SEC is adding Texas, which is from Texas. Which is already represented by Texas A&M.

What he says doesn't exactly match what they are doing. He doesn't say things because they are 100% correct. He says things to sway things towards the position of the SEC. Accurate or not accurate doesn't really matter. Promoting the SEC is what matters. You can't rely on his statements as being 100% true, because his job is not to provide truth. His job is to promote the SEC. That is what I said, and nothing you have responded with has disputed that.
We disagree. Moving on.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Hypothetically. The ACC is going to be around a while. The current litigation is expected to take a few years.

But Paul Johnson made the best point. That is, GT is a lot more like a service academy than a typical P5. I think we’d be happier playing Army, Navy, Air Force, ND, and Stanford than trying to stay in the rat race. I think we’ll end up in a decade doing that.
Yep.

I've been saying this for the past year or two...and advocating for a multi-tier system like the English leagues. Every school would eventually reach their proper level and play for their leagues' respective National titles.

CBS, ESPN, et al, would have MULTIPLE playoff games and championships to televise. And because of promotion/relegation, even the regular season games would count more and draw a larger TV audience.

What's not to love?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

I think so too.