Conference Realignment

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
I sincerely hope J Batt and Cabrera are on the phone with the Big 12. I believe after the golden children leave ( FSU, Clemson, UNC, possibly one other school) the remnants including us need to be merging with the Big 12. That would put us in a competitive conference top to bottom…somewhere without clear dominant programs that will consistently pound the others. A conference with relatively equal financial contributing fans to athletics…

I’m not saying it’s ideal but that’s realistically where we are heading and I’ll be there to cheer the Jackets on regardless.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just catching up on the news about Clemson as well. At this point does it help or hurt us by standing by with the ACC? I just don't see us filing a lawsuit as well.
Stick with the ACC and hope the GOR holds the conference together. At the typical speed of the wheels of justice, these lawsuits will be settled by sometime ~ 2036.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling we're going to know the future of ACC before 2024 is out, maybe even before the FB season starts. Not saying we will know where every school lands, that will take more time. We'll see.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tech wont be proactive to leave and join fsu and the group which we should.

Instead they will sit back and watch. Do nothing. Get left out. Then complain.

Meanwhile football will migrate to two larger conferences and thats all that will matter.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I understand.

However, the other conference in the room, the Big 12, is considering how it can maintain its relevance in a world dominated by the Big 10 and the SEC. Poaching ACC members is probably better than promoting lesser schools.

At some point, I can see the presidents just growing weary of the haggling and voting to disband. And probably sooner rather than later. For most of the presidents, this is probably an unnecessary distraction from what they see as their real jobs.

Let's say that two schools have offers from the Big 10 and two have offers from the SEC. The new members don't have voting rights, correct? So, if enough of the remaining bunch get offered by the Big 12, poof!

Done.
Yeah I understand that’s the narrative and I know all the cool kids are hating on the ACC right now, but I don’t buy that the ACC is doing nothing… or even that the Big 12 is doing “something.”
Maybe it’s that the ACC PR campaign really does just suck.
We just need more dudes in their basements shouting on the internet about our grandiose schemes for taking over college athletics.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Tech wont be proactive to leave and join fsu and the group which we should.

Instead they will sit back and watch. Do nothing. Get left out. Then complain.

Meanwhile football will migrate to two larger conferences and thats all that will matter.
We're not going to get left out, may look that way for a while but we're going to have a landing spot, maybe even two but doubt if we will know that as fans. I expect that one day we're going to be in this particular conference is the way it will work out. The sky is not falling. If the truth were known the powers that be already have a good idea where most schools will end up and what sort of deal they will have.

Last edited:

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
It does feel like SOmething is going to happen, no way does this last anywhere close to 2036
As of right now, I still haven’t heard a single way any team can leave without buying out with hundreds of millions.

The FSU and Clemson cases have been as potent as any other dude complaining behind a screen or in a bar. Desperate attempts that from my understanding have almost zero chance of success. The ACC is a business, that runs by money and law, not emotion.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
It does feel like SOmething is going to happen, no way does this last anywhere close to 2036
I think their coming back in two years to deal with the playoff is speaking to alignment over the two years, may be speaking to other things also, I just think the Big 2 hold all the cards now and they are going to push on through and get this over with. How it is all done I have no idea but I just think they have a plan and it will get carried out without a lot of messing around. We'll see.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I understand.

However, the other conference in the room, the Big 12, is considering how it can maintain its relevance in a world dominated by the Big 10 and the SEC. Poaching ACC members is probably better than promoting lesser schools.

At some point, I can see the presidents just growing weary of the haggling and voting to disband. And probably sooner rather than later. For most of the presidents, this is probably an unnecessary distraction from what they see as their real jobs.

Let's say that two schools have offers from the Big 10 and two have offers from the SEC. The new members don't have voting rights, correct? So, if enough of the remaining bunch get offered by the Big 12, poof!

Done.
All conferences have to deal with the S-curve.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For conference alignment conderstions.

.2024 ACC FB championship game odds by fan duel.
THEY THINK SUCK BUT NOT BOTTOM DWELLER SUCK.
In the conference , we are 7th from bottom and 11th from the top.

Our odds of winning are below 7 teams we play. But we are better than 1 team (Duke)

TO CHANGE MINDS FOR 25 WE HAVE TO END UP NEAR THE TOP
.To change minds we need to have a very solid year with no bonehead losses and a couple of boat race wins. Ideally, we play the top reams tough and go to louisville and Vt and scratch out wins.

If we move up and have strong rating for 25 we will have positive consideration in re alignment.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
and calling it NIL now is a joke. Incoming freshmen getting big bucks is a money bribe and has nothing to do with NIL. Just a signing bonus to go play for the highest bidder.
Can anyone show that all these athletes receiving money are actually selling their name, image or likeness?

It really went abstract in hurry. “Here’s a bunch of money in case your identity gets used to make money somehow, somewhere, some day by somebody.”

Or am I missing something and all these kids have contracts describing very specific ways their image is going to be used to endorse soup brands or sell cars?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
We just need more dudes in their basements shouting on the internet about our grandiose schemes for taking over college athletics.
The funny thing about dudes in their basements shouting on the Internet is that they are, IMO, usually more knowledgeable, more passionate, more focused, more attentive, and better connected than dudes who merely pop in to post on a fan forum once in a while.

And I'm in that latter group.